The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 04-22-2020, 02:38 PM   #7015
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
GM Authority reporting that 3rd gen Colorado/Canyon will be available only with the 2.7L Turbo.
As much as I like the 3.6 V6, I would give it up for the nearly 350TQ that the 2.7 offers...assuming they don't nerf the power figures from the Silverado version. It would be a fantastic engine for the regular trimmed Colorado and Canyon trucks. I think some will be upset that the diesel is gone though. I'm also assuming this will only raise the base price of the truck even more. Maybe that's why they dropped the very base trim for 2021 which brought up the starting MSRP quite a bit? So when the next gen drops, people don't freak because it starts 4 grand higher or something.

Ford is likely going to drop a turbo V6 into the Ranger Raptor, so if GM is smart, they will do the same for the next ZR2. Would be a real shame if they didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Is it GM’s goal to ruin all their profitable badges?
Unless that 2.7 is some POS (I haven't read that) most people seem to really want the 2.7 in the mid-size trucks. It just makes sense. Who wouldn't want over 310 HP and 348TQ in a midsize with a 10 speed. Yes please.
Old 04-22-2020, 03:07 PM   #7016
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
Colorado/Canyon often gets called a lifestyle vehicle.

So, a question: When has any turbo 4 succeeded for GM, other than as a way to make an appliance pill go down easier?
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 05:36 PM   #7017
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer View Post
Colorado/Canyon often gets called a lifestyle vehicle.

So, a question: When has any turbo 4 succeeded for GM, other than as a way to make an appliance pill go down easier?

I would think the 2.0T was fairly successful when it debuted with the Solstice GXP and Skyline Redline. I would say the newer versions( such the one in the XT4) have been more lackluster though.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 08:00 AM   #7018
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
I would think the 2.0T was fairly successful when it debuted with the Solstice GXP and Skyline Redline. I would say the newer versions( such the one in the XT4) have been more lackluster though.
Yup, and the Cobalt SS (2009+)
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 08:52 AM   #7019
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
Lack of customer demand (think I read 10% take rate or something on C7) plus desire to not breach the tunnel.
It is such a waste to rid the vette of such a great gear box. Sport cars and manuals have been a natural for so many years. As odd as this sounds coming from me (I have been an auto trans fan for a long time), the manual gear box will be sorely missed in the vette, especially Z06.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 09:13 AM   #7020
lbls1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
The 2.0L turbo has taken a slightly more sedate profile, now that it is shared across the board with many GM models. It still can develop good power and torque, and it is still an amazing performer. The turbo was still blazing when it was introduced in Malibu in '13. It had some quality quirks the first year, but that stemmed from its owners using regular gas with it. The turbo engine requires premium. It is a silent but deadly pistol, in that it can get you into illegal speeds much faster than you'd realize it. The engine made cobalt SS a celebrity on the street, but sadly it went almost un-noticed in the Malibu and in current models. I'd say that its almost a secret weapon. No one would suspect that Malibu could be near lethal with its turbocharged engine. I would love to see GM develop the turbo installation on more powerplants.

Old 04-23-2020, 09:18 AM   #7021
NW-99SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
It is such a waste to rid the vette of such a great gear box. Sport cars and manuals have been a natural for so many years. As odd as this sounds coming from me (I have been an auto trans fan for a long time), the manual gear box will be sorely missed in the vette, especially Z06.
Especially when GM was caught using false % take rates to justify having no manual...

I love that they are offering a DCT. I have experience with AMG, BMW M, Porsche PDK etc DCTs. Great transmissions, but they bore me after about 10 mins of driving and I end up leaving them in D and no longer using the paddles.

That's why I own 3 manual cars, and will only buy manual sports cars. GM took the C8 off my want list with this decision.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
Old 04-23-2020, 09:43 AM   #7022
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Still no manual with the vette?
Quote:
Lack of customer demand (think I read 10% take rate or something on C7) plus desire to not breach the tunnel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
Manual take rate for the last year of C7s - the lowest of all C7 production was over 20% take rate, with the ZR1s leading the way at 30%.

Those are much higher numbers than the C4 era - showing 15% take rates.

The tunnel doesn't need to be breached with a cable driven shifter, no different than a Porsche.
I was hard-pressed to find a C7 Grand Sport with a manual. ~8-9 out of 10 that I looked at were automatics. JMHO, but the GS is a track car and why you'd want the slush box 8 speed auto is beyond me. To each their own.

As far as the C8 only offering a DCT, I was salty at first, but I can stomach it now that I've heard that it is spot on and really performs. I'll be adding a C8 Z06 in the future.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 09:57 AM   #7023
NW-99SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
I was hard-pressed to find a C7 Grand Sport with a manual. ~8-9 out of 10 that I looked at were automatics. JMHO, but the GS is a track car and why you'd want the slush box 8 speed auto is beyond me. To each their own.

As far as the C8 only offering a DCT, I was salty at first, but I can stomach it now that I've heard that it is spot on and really performs. I'll be adding a C8 Z06 in the future.
No idea why dealers ordered so many A8s, especially with their known issues.

Have you driven a DCT? I highly suggest a lengthy test drive including city and back road driving before you commit.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
Old 04-23-2020, 10:06 AM   #7024
lbls1

Quote:
Especially when GM was caught using false % take rates to justify having no manual...

I love that they are offering a DCT. I have experience with AMG, BMW M, Porsche PDK etc DCTs. Great transmissions, but they bore me after about 10 mins of driving and I end up leaving them in D and no longer using the paddles.

That's why I own 3 manual cars, and will only buy manual sports cars. GM took the C8 off my want list with this decision.
I was late in life in having a manual, despite knowing others with manual shift cars. Its quite a different driving experience, and its best in light traffic and the open road. When you mate a potent power plant with a stout stick, you can feel the power come thru your hand. I'm sad that the manual is fading, and I only regret not having a manual car earlier.

Old 04-23-2020, 11:22 AM   #7025
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
No idea why dealers ordered so many A8s, especially with their known issues.
I have to assume statistics. Take rates. But, if your statement on falsifying those rates is true......

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 11:30 AM   #7026
genxer

Quote:
The 2.0L turbo has taken a slightly more sedate profile, now that it is shared across the board with many GM models. It still can develop good power and torque, and it is still an amazing performer. The turbo was still blazing when it was introduced in Malibu in '13. It had some quality quirks the first year, but that stemmed from its owners using regular gas with it. The turbo engine requires premium. It is a silent but deadly pistol, in that it can get you into illegal speeds much faster than you'd realize it. The engine made cobalt SS a celebrity on the street, but sadly it went almost un-noticed in the Malibu and in current models. I'd say that its almost a secret weapon. No one would suspect that Malibu could be near lethal with its turbocharged engine. I would love to see GM develop the turbo installation on more powerplants.
The first sentence and the one about un-noticed are my point.

I'm aware of the GXP Solstice, Redline Sky, Cobalt later SS. I don't think those cars lacked a following because of performance or weren't promoted. They were basically import fighters. Also the role of the CT4-V. I don't think that can be a wide spread role.

There's a movie quote about magic. It goes roughly: It's not the secret, it's the trick you use it for. The Silverado L3B wasn't received well, and that connection can hurt the CT4. If they switch the Colorado/Canyon benchmark from Tacoma to Ranger. They may just re-inforce them as segment front-runners.

GM doesn't really have the papa Henry/papa Toyoda effect in their favor.
Old 04-23-2020, 11:34 AM   #7027
genxer

Quote:
I have to assume statistics. Take rates. But, if your statement on falsifying those rates is true......
Is this one of the things people blame aginst Tadge Juchter? Was the foot well size one of his, too?
Old 04-23-2020, 11:44 AM   #7028
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer View Post
Is this one of the things people blame aginst Tadge Juchter? Was the foot well size one of his, too?
Yeah, i've read some of his statements on the reasoning. Other than take rate, something about cabin layout, footwell, and not being able to go mechanical linkages on MT.

Either way, get used to it.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost