The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 09-10-2021, 01:53 PM   #43
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushin_LT1 View Post
https://www.chevronlubricants.com/en...m-cleaner.html

I figure running one of those puppies through after a few thousand miles is equivalent to top tier. Just don't buy from a sketchy gas station and you should be g2g.
I hear ya. For me, I'd rather -keep- the internals clean as opposed to occasionally cleaning them. So, I prefer to err on the side of Top Tier all of the time if possible. And, since Costco is at its highest price in months around here ($3.189) at the moment, I'm easily saving at least $.60/gallon with every fill up anyhow.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 01:54 PM   #44
Bongos2U

Drives: Hopefully 6th gen Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Yep. Their synthetic motor oil is from Warren and is what I use in the Camaro as well.
And is "Dexos" approved, too.
Bongos2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 02:02 PM   #45
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongos2U View Post
And is "Dexos" approved, too.
dexos1 Gen 2. Not dexos2, though.
Old 09-10-2021, 02:33 PM   #46
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushin_LT1 View Post
https://www.chevronlubricants.com/en...m-cleaner.html

I figure running one of those puppies through after a few thousand miles is equivalent to top tier. Just don't buy from a sketchy gas station and you should be g2g.
Redline SI-1 is a better alternative IMO. Lots of testaments of combustion chamber pics.

Quote:
This whole topic was beaten to death not that long ago here in a thread that I started...

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=591433

The long and short of all of it was this: The gas is all the same. Whether you're buying it from Sam's, Costco, Shell... Doesn't matter. What's DIFFERENT (and what allows the ability to get it labeled as Top Tier) is the detergents.

More specifically, it seems that it's the AMOUNT of detergents added to the fuel as opposed to the exact formulation. There are one or two companies that do have their own formula, but most apparently do not.

More usefully, it seems that running non-Top Tier fuels on occasion is generally not going to do you any harm so long as you are running something through the tank occasionally with higher concentrations of detergents to keep the "innards" clean.

It's far more important to ensure you adhere to minimum octane levels and avoid stations with low turnover to ensure you aren't getting a tank of gas that has degraded (or worse, has water in it). Also, don't fill up while the tanker is filling the underground tanks either to avoid contaminants that have been stirred up during the tank fill process from making their way into the tank in the car.
Yep, definitely beating a dead horse. All good points from you.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 09:28 PM   #47
Pupilbone

Drives: 2019 Crush ZL1 M6
Costco in Ontario is 91 Octane max (no 95 or 93). Based in this i purchase elsewhere.

I’m anal… 93 octane or nothing.
Old 09-10-2021, 09:30 PM   #48
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupilbone View Post
Costco in Ontario is 91 Octane max (no 95 or 93). Based in this i purchase elsewhere.

I’m anal… 93 octane or nothing.
94 brother at Casablanca but I’m sure you know
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 01:29 PM   #49
Crushin_LT1

Drives: 2021 LT1 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyz View Post
94 brother at Casablanca but I’m sure you know
He said 93 only
Old 09-19-2023, 02:24 PM   #50
Jeffboi12

Drives: Mehran Model 2000
Costco Gas Prices

Costco's high-octane gas can be a great option for your SS, especially when you're looking at those prices! 🚗💨

While the specific refinery that produces Costco's gasoline may vary by location, can check from CGP, they typically partner with well-known suppliers to ensure quality. Plus, with prices significantly lower than other brand-name options, it's definitely worth considering.

If you're thinking about joining Costco, the potential savings on gas alone could make that $30 annual membership fee well worth it. It's an investment that can pay off at the pump and beyond! 😄
Jeffboi12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 02:29 PM   #51
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffboi12 View Post
Costco's high-octane gas can be a great option for your SS, especially when you're looking at those prices! 🚗💨

While the specific refinery that produces Costco's gasoline may vary by location, can check from CGP, they typically partner with well-known suppliers to ensure quality. Plus, with prices significantly lower than other brand-name options, it's definitely worth considering.

If you're thinking about joining Costco, the potential savings on gas alone could make that $30 annual membership fee well worth it. It's an investment that can pay off at the pump and beyond! 😄
Welcome to the 21st century... The base membership for Costco is currently $60.

Even at a $.50/gallon cost savings, that's still 120 gallons just to break even on the membership fee. Then you have to add in the gas you will 'waste' just to get to the Costco pumps and back compared to fueling locally. In reality, it's closer to at least 200 gallons to break even in many places.
Old 09-19-2023, 03:00 PM   #52
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Welcome to the 21st century... The base membership for Costco is currently $60.

Even at a $.50/gallon cost savings, that's still 120 gallons just to break even on the membership fee. Then you have to add in the gas you will 'waste' just to get to the Costco pumps and back compared to fueling locally. In reality, it's closer to at least 200 gallons to break even in many places.
Unless you shop there. Then you have the savings on the stuff you buy (toilet paper, paper towel, drinks) plus the savings from the gas. And since you’re already there to shop, you don’t have the”waste” element. I sometimes decide which car to take to Costco based on which car needs gas, since I’m already going there.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 04:22 PM   #53
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffboi12 View Post
If you're thinking about joining Costco, the potential savings on gas alone could make that $30 annual membership fee well worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Unless you shop there. Then you have the savings on the stuff you buy (toilet paper, paper towel, drinks) plus the savings from the gas. And since you’re already there to shop, you don’t have the”waste” element. I sometimes decide which car to take to Costco based on which car needs gas, since I’m already going there.
While I fully agree with you (we shop there for some items, get gas there as there's a station right next to the wife's work, and book our vacations through there), I was predominantly commenting in response to the bolded comment above....
Old 09-20-2023, 07:01 PM   #54
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
I am not getting into all the BS of gas but, they are refined at certain locations then the specific additives from said "brands" are added to the fuel to make the "awesome" gas.

Being Costco is not a gas brand and are considered premium gas, are they just repackaging like they do with everything else? So BP here, Shell there, 76 over here...In which case you are golden on the fuel itself.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 07:09 PM   #55
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Buddy, this is a tightrope walk with a lot of people. I feel you, but multifaceted in a lot of ways.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 07:17 PM   #56
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
I am not getting into all the BS of gas but, they are refined at certain locations then the specific additives from said "brands" are added to the fuel to make the "awesome" gas.

Being Costco is not a gas brand and are considered premium gas, are they just repackaging like they do with everything else? So BP here, Shell there, 76 over here...In which case you are golden on the fuel itself.
Fran, you're pretty much spot on. Yes, it's effectively the same refined fuel as someone else with a specific batch of additives. They use "enough of the right ones" to qualify as TopTier.

Been running it almost exclusively in my Camaro since new (less than 10k) and my car always runs great.