The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-01-2018, 08:43 AM   #183
Rwarchol

Drives: 2010 1LT SIM A6, 2005 GTO TR A4
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
Don't these FE and tow ratings fall short of F-150 again?

For example, 17/23/19 for the 3.5EB and 16/20/17 for the 6.2. The Ford with 13,200 towing capacity and the Chevy with 12,200.
Is it the 8 speed killing the MPG again? I know when I bought by '17 the 8 speed had worse gas mileage. My 5.3 with a 6 speed gets way better mpg than the EPA estimated listed on the page, even in winter.
Rwarchol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:30 PM   #184
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
any guesses when it will be buildable on chevy website?
Old 07-10-2018, 11:43 AM   #185
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
Don't these FE and tow ratings fall short of F-150 again?

For example, 17/23/19 for the 3.5EB and 16/20/17 for the 6.2. The Ford with 13,200 towing capacity and the Chevy with 12,200.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhawk View Post
Yes, and now you have to get 4WD if you want the 6.2. I have no need for the extra expense, weight, and maintenance penalty of 4WD. Seems like they are only conceding market share with these moves by making the 6.2 almost impossible to find or ridiculously expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarchol View Post
Is it the 8 speed killing the MPG again? I know when I bought by '17 the 8 speed had worse gas mileage. My 5.3 with a 6 speed gets way better mpg than the EPA estimated listed on the page, even in winter.
The '19 Silverado 6.2 V-8 epa mpg estimate is NOW for the 4x4 model for the build out which is better than the old out going truck.
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find...n=sbs&id=38989

Last edited by RLHMARINES; 07-10-2018 at 12:25 PM.
RLHMARINES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:48 PM   #186
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
The '19 Silverado 6.2 V-8 epa mpg estimate is NOW for the 4x4 model for the build out which is better than the old out going truck.
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find...n=sbs&id=38989
That’s what my 2016 5.3 LTZ with the 8 speed gets. The dash in my truck lies by 1mpg like my Camaro did. Glad to see an improvement but nothing earth shattering.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:57 AM   #187
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
They can make all the claims they want about it being capable of towing 12k lbs or 13k lbs, but have you ever tried to pull that with their half-ton? I had a 15 Silverado 1500 that was rated at 15k lbs. 4wd, 5.3L, crew cab regular bed and the tow package with 3.42 gears. I towed my camper, 29 ft ~6500 lbs dry, add in about 1K lbs more for a wet trailer and gear( probably conservative) . It would get up to speed fairly well, it would brake fairly well and it even handled fairly. But what it would not do well at all was tow up any sort of moderate grade without overheating. I also had to get equalizer bars just to keep the whiplash to a minimum when I drove over uneven roads. You couldn't pay me to try the 15K limit in my truck. I have a 17 2500hd now and the camper is a dream to pull. I made the mistake of owning a half ton and expecting it to pull the rated weight. I won't do that again.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:11 AM   #188
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
My buddy who taught me to tow when I had my Tundra used to say, religiously, never tow more than HALF the listed rating, so in my case 3700lbs.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:29 AM   #189
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Proper setup on whatever you are towing helps a great deal (example: Using a weight distribution hitch)....that said, you won't catch me putting 7,000 lbs behind my Colorado, even though that is max rating.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:41 AM   #190
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
They can make all the claims they want about it being capable of towing 12k lbs or 13k lbs, but have you ever tried to pull that with their half-ton? I had a 15 Silverado 1500 that was rated at 15k lbs. 4wd, 5.3L, crew cab regular bed and the tow package with 3.42 gears. I towed my camper, 29 ft ~6500 lbs dry, add in about 1K lbs more for a wet trailer and gear( probably conservative) . It would get up to speed fairly well, it would brake fairly well and it even handled fairly. But what it would not do well at all was tow up any sort of moderate grade without overheating. I also had to get equalizer bars just to keep the whiplash to a minimum when I drove over uneven roads. You couldn't pay me to try the 15K limit in my truck. I have a 17 2500hd now and the camper is a dream to pull. I made the mistake of owning a half ton and expecting it to pull the rated weight. I won't do that again.
Well a 2018 5.3 Silverado 4WD Crew Cab with the 3.42 max trailer package is rated at 10,700 pounds. I don't think a 2015 would have 4,300 more pounds of towing capacity. (Not trying to be a dick and I know that's what this will look like lol) You were probably pretty damn close to the max on that truck with the 3.42 gears. But I totally agree with you. I would never tow near that advertised max weight in a half ton truck.

http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/...erado1500.html
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:47 AM   #191
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
I don't think GM has ever had a 1/2 ton capable of towing 15K from the factory especially with a 5.3, they did have a heavy 1/2 ton back in '02 or '03 but it was a 8600 lbs gvwr 3/4 ton that was relabeled as a 1500 HD heavy half.

The 2500 HD's moved the gvwr to over 9200 in the 3/4 ton when they came out along with the new then Duramax Diesel and 6.0.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:49 AM   #192
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
You are both correct. It was my mistake. I was reading the gcwr field in the owners manual not the tow rating. It was rated at 9200 lbs. Having said that my point still stands. I wouldn't even think about towing close to the rating.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:11 PM   #193
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
My buddy who taught me to tow when I had my Tundra used to say, religiously, never tow more than HALF the listed rating, so in my case 3700lbs.
Thats probably a bit extreme. Safe for sure, and its always better to be safe than sorry. But the rule of thumb that I've always heard was 85% and go lower from there: depending on aerodynamics, speed, distance, and hilliness.

For example, if you have a single horse trailer (fairly aerodynamic, as far as trailers go) that you use to haul your animal around on back roads (low speeds) in your local area (short distance) thats reasonably flat, it won't be an issue at all.

On the other hand, if you have an open trailer with some proverbial brick on it, or just a lot of random stuff like if you were moving or something, it can be like dragging a parachute behind you. And the faster you go, the harder it gets. Hills alternate between working your engine & working your brakes. And the farther you're going, the less you want to burden your truck.

As an example of what NOT to do ... about 10 years ago our mini-baja team used a Rav4 to go nearly 1000 miles (one way) with an open trailer (loaded with our tube framed baja buggy & most of our gear) on highways, on our way to the hills of Tennessee. Even stopping ever hour or so to let things cool down, it probably cut years off the life of that engine and/or transmission. We would have used a bigger vehicle, but none of us had one that we could take to the states for several days. It was very dumb, and was made worse by the fact that we were sleep deprived and only one of us had any experience driving with a trailer. We made it without any major incident, thankfully, but it could easily have gone much worse. I don't think any of us will ever do anything like that again.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:30 AM   #194
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Excellent post DG. I had the Lexus 4.7 V-8 in my 1st gen Tundra. The 5.7 that came out for the 2nd gen was a much stronger motor. I have a hitch now on the Flex, but I sold the small trailer after I sold off all the motorcycles. 75% might be a better rule than 50%, but PA is very hilly.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:47 AM   #195
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Ford is going to offer the Raptor engine in the Limited trim F-150

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...ine/839555002/
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 03:47 PM   #196
HartfordRacingCaptain

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS, 2023 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post

As an example of what NOT to do ... about 10 years ago our mini-baja team used a Rav4 to go nearly 1000 miles (one way) with an open trailer (loaded with our tube framed baja buggy & most of our gear) on highways, on our way to the hills of Tennessee. Even stopping ever hour or so to let things cool down, it probably cut years off the life of that engine and/or transmission. We would have used a bigger vehicle, but none of us had one that we could take to the states for several days. It was very dumb, and was made worse by the fact that we were sleep deprived and only one of us had any experience driving with a trailer. We made it without any major incident, thankfully, but it could easily have gone much worse. I don't think any of us will ever do anything like that again.
#SAEhorrorstories

HartfordRacingCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote