The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Member's Lounge > General Automotive Discussions

Old 12-22-2016, 06:11 PM   #15
ron scubadiver

Drives: 2017 2SS Hyper Blue
Cadillac's have a real back seat.
ron scubadiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 07:45 AM   #16
iPODFAN11

Drives: 2019 Shock ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Because shockingly, price and performance are not the only two metrics that people buy cars on. The Cadillacs are simply nicer cars than the Camaro is. Niceness costs extra.
Yet I would cross shop the living S#&t out of them. I'm sure its nice and fluffy in the Cadillac Alpha cars, but dollar to car ratio makes it VERY hard not to look at the Camaro offerings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
we're certainly looking at it -- but right now, the emphasis MUST be on getting the Camaro V6 and SS out -- and having it exceed your expectations....

Once that's done....................

Last edited by iPODFAN11; 12-23-2016 at 09:21 AM.
iPODFAN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 09:21 AM   #17
tbrennyZL1

Drives: Corvette Z06
I think if they used that concept and blended the lt4 with a more upscale interior it could sell. If it were me I'd make it AWD so it also appeals to other buyers, not the exact Camaro/Cadillac/corvette guys. It would make a great straight line car. You can price it between the ZL1 and CTS-V.
tbrennyZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 09:51 AM   #18
Cuda7050

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrennyZL1 View Post
I think if they used that concept and blended the lt4 with a more upscale interior it could sell. If it were me I'd make it AWD so it also appeals to other buyers, not the exact Camaro/Cadillac/corvette guys. It would make a great straight line car. You can price it between the ZL1 and CTS-V.
I like your idea.
Buttonwillow 2:23.736
Sacramento Raceway 12.89 at 112 mph
Thunderhill 2:22.242
Cuda7050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 09:56 AM   #19
Atomic Ed

Drives: 2001 Audi TT, 2016 Camaro
I will say that there is a big difference in the quality and workmanship between the Chevrolet and Cadillac divisions. My S.O. pick up a new Caddy XT5 a month after I picked up my 2SS and hers is by far the higher quality vehicle. Paint, fit, materials are all much better. Cadillac has definitely stepped up their game.

We have two friends that have new BMWs and we all agree that her Caddy is the nicest. I was surprised on how poor the paint quality was on both BMWs.

A Buick ZL1? Maybe if the quality was along the lines of the new Cadillac.
Atomic Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 09:56 AM   #20
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrennyZL1 View Post
Now that is a great idea, the AWD upscale LT4. I have to keep another car to drive in bad weather because in the mid-south we don't have a lot of resources to plow or salt roads, so basically when it snows you either have to drive on the packed snow until it melts or stay home. Camaro just does not do real well in packed snow and freezing rain on the stock tires. I could buy another set of tires but when you get maybe 3 snow falls a year what's the point?

Plus on real roads that have miscellaneous debris on them, AWD is a real plus with a lot of power, Jaguar and Mercedes seem to be figuring that out.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 10:12 AM   #21
tbrennyZL1

Drives: Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
Now that is a great idea, the AWD upscale LT4. I have to keep another car to drive in bad weather because in the mid-south we don't have a lot of resources to plow or salt roads, so basically when it snows you either have to drive on the packed snow until it melts or stay home. Camaro just does not do real well in packed snow and freezing rain on the stock tires. I could buy another set of tires but when you get maybe 3 snow falls a year what's the point?

Plus on real roads that have miscellaneous debris on them, AWD is a real plus with a lot of power, Jaguar and Mercedes seem to be figuring that out.
Thanks, you listening GM!! Same thing in PNW. Lots of 50 degree days and nice but roads don't warm up enough for high horsepower RWD cars. Like you said they could attract a bunch of other buyers from Mercedes, Audi, Lexus etc.
tbrennyZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 12:16 PM   #22
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Power is relative to how far you mash the pedal. Northern climates tend to be colder and have more icy road conditions. GM makes vehicles for all of these climate variations. Dress accordingly.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 02:15 PM   #23
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPODFAN11 View Post
The ZL1 honestly, in my opinion, near renders the CTS-V useless, just like the Camaro V6 and SS near render the ATS/ATS-V coupe useless. Why spend the $$$? The better performing cars are cheaper!
You spend the extra money because a car is more than performance per dollar calculation. I love the Camaro but it simply won't do with 2 kids under the age of two. Not to mention the luxury car vs rental car interior (I'm kidding - don't take offense)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuhThugga View Post
The ATS and ATS-V have been overpriced from the start, just as the rest of Cadillac's fleet.
Overpriced compared to what? The ATS-V is a bargain relative to its competition.
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/merce...-s-comparison/

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuhThugga View Post
Which is why Cadillac has abysmal sales figures.
Please define abysmal? Clearly you haven't seen BMW's numbers YTD.
- Audi up 2.9%
- BMW down 10%
- Cadillac down 3.8%
- Mercedes-Benz down 6%

Really Audi is the only full-line luxury brand posting growth thanks to a strong and cheap crossover lineup.

Cadillac globally, sales are up over 20% thanks largely to China.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Furthermore, since Camaro sales aren't doing that well, and Cadillac ATS & CTS sales aren't doing that well ... why in the world would GM create a Buick that would mostly just steal sales from its siblings?
Generally speaking NO cars are doing that well. The pony car segment is DOWN 10% YTD. Sports cars are DOWN 6% YTD and the premium sports car segment is DOWN 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR ZL1 View Post
Remember that Buick is China's Cadillac and that is why it never got dismantled like Pontiac.
No, Cadirack is China's Cadirack!

In all seriousness, Cadillac is on pace in China to eclipse American sales in the next year or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPODFAN11 View Post
Yet I would cross shop the living S#&t out of them. I'm sure its nice and fluffy in the Cadillac Alpha cars, but dollar to car ratio makes it VERY hard not to look at the Camaro offerings.
Performance per dollar calculations will never favor luxury brands. If you don't need/care about luxury then the Camaro is great bang-for-the-buck. Just keep in mind some of us buy those "nice and fluffy" luxury performance cars as second cars to fulfill broader daily needs.

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 02:25 PM   #24
TimsZ28

Drives: '16 2SS, '14 Z71
OOOOR is GM doing this "Exactly the way they planned". Your (my) kick @$$ chassis started in the ATS. Tested with a few combo's on the lower volume cars. Once it is perfected you roll it out into the masses for more affordable...ZL1.
I personally don't think for a second GM rolls out a car like the CTS-V expecting it to be a large volume seller and take over market share. But they are giving the guys who are willing to spend the $$ the chance to enjoy it, a couple years ahead of everyone else.
Old 12-23-2016, 05:25 PM   #25
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDISIN View Post

Really Audi is the only full-line luxury brand posting growth thanks to a strong and cheap crossover lineup.
And nearly all of the Audi vehicles are AWD...... People enjoy power if it is usable.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
Old 12-23-2016, 05:40 PM   #26
TimsZ28

Drives: '16 2SS, '14 Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessrayo View Post
And nearly all of the Audi vehicles are AWD...... People enjoy power if it is usable.
Well not nearly all, ALL Cadillac line has AWD available. Of course they offer the rwd / fwd on XT5 as well. Excluding the V-cars.
Old 12-23-2016, 05:46 PM   #27
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimsZ28 View Post
Well not nearly all, ALL Cadillac line has AWD available. Of course they offer the rwd / fwd on XT5 as well. Excluding the V-cars.
It is funny, first you say all the Cadilac line has AWD available.... then at the end you say excluding the V-cars. Hmm... since I only look at Cadillac V-series models....none of them have AWD. Audi has it pretty much available on every model including S and RS models.

Old 12-23-2016, 05:52 PM   #28
JKJZA
ZL1 manual, Black, PDR

Drives: 2017 ZL1 - Black - Born 11/23/16
No never
JKJZA is offline   Reply With Quote