The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2021, 10:21 AM   #1
FarmerFran

 
FarmerFran's Avatar
 
Drives: Challenger 392
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,675
Ford brings back the Maverick name for a new compact truck

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/f...140034597.html
__________________
Challenger R/T 392 Scatpack Wide Body - Octane Red - TR6060

Gone but not forgotten - 2020 Camaro 2SS Convertible - Riverside Blue Metallic - TR6060 - NPP - Low Gloss Black 5-Spoke with Black Nuts
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 10:29 AM   #2
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado
 
FenwickHockey65's Avatar
 
Drives: 03 Envoy, 15 Charger, 20 Colorado
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 36,752
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
GM needs a reborn S-10. I like my Colorado but I think Maverick's going to hit a sweet spot in the market.
__________________

2003 GMC Envoy SLE
2015 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)
2020 Chevrolet Colorado W/T Extended Cab (State-issued)
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 10:32 AM   #3
FarmerFran

 
FarmerFran's Avatar
 
Drives: Challenger 392
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
GM needs a reborn S-10. I like my Colorado but I think Maverick's going to hit a sweet spot in the market.
your opinion...

Maybe it is my perception but GM seems to be lagging behind in these unveilings, you think it is due to the push for EV?
__________________
Challenger R/T 392 Scatpack Wide Body - Octane Red - TR6060

Gone but not forgotten - 2020 Camaro 2SS Convertible - Riverside Blue Metallic - TR6060 - NPP - Low Gloss Black 5-Spoke with Black Nuts
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 10:35 AM   #4
90503


 
90503's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Torrance
Posts: 13,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
GM needs a reborn S-10. I like my Colorado but I think Maverick's going to hit a sweet spot in the market.
The older Toyota, Nissan, S-10 small single cab trucks are like gold around here. Anyone that has one is keeping it until the wheels fall off. You can't buy anything like them anymore. Chevy should jump all over these again. They are actually used as utility and work trucks.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 10:41 AM   #5
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado
 
FenwickHockey65's Avatar
 
Drives: 03 Envoy, 15 Charger, 20 Colorado
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 36,752
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
your opinion...

Maybe it is my perception but GM seems to be lagging behind in these unveilings, you think it is due to the push for EV?

Basically it's just poor timing, a lot of these refreshed products we're seeing this year like Equinox/Terrain and Enclave we've already seen a long time ago because they were supposed to go into production last year. COVID delayed a lot of stuff. The next major reveal should be the full size 1500 truck MCE which starts production in September.


In terms of actual brand new product like this, yeah I'd say EV development is causing the stagnant nature of things right now. We saw the 3rd gen Colorado testing last week and from those photos it looks like GM will simply update the 31XX platform probably with the new Global B electronics architecture and a redesigned exterior/interior. I would guess if GM does bring out a Maverick competitor they'll try to leap frog by making it an EV.
__________________

2003 GMC Envoy SLE
2015 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)
2020 Chevrolet Colorado W/T Extended Cab (State-issued)
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 11:36 AM   #6
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter
 
Norm Peterson's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Eastern Time Zone
Posts: 6,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
GM needs a reborn S-10. I like my Colorado but I think Maverick's going to hit a sweet spot in the market.
Like the Mach E, I guess I would hope that it's a good vehicle in its own right.

But also like the 'E', the powers-that-be at Ford have chosen to steal the name of a coupe/sedan for a completely different sort of vehicle over the 'Ranchero' label that already had a pickup truck-ish image.

Maybe GM will remember the El Camino if they're going to get into resurrecting names from their past for their non-car vehicles . . .


Norm
__________________
'08 GT coupe 5M (the occasional track toy)
'19 WRX 6M (the family sedan . . . seriously)
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 11:47 AM   #7
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 6,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Basically it's just poor timing, a lot of these refreshed products we're seeing this year like Equinox/Terrain and Enclave we've already seen a long time ago because they were supposed to go into production last year. COVID delayed a lot of stuff. The next major reveal should be the full size 1500 truck MCE which starts production in September.


In terms of actual brand new product like this, yeah I'd say EV development is causing the stagnant nature of things right now. We saw the 3rd gen Colorado testing last week and from those photos it looks like GM will simply update the 31XX platform probably with the new Global B electronics architecture and a redesigned exterior/interior. I would guess if GM does bring out a Maverick competitor they'll try to leap frog by making it an EV.
GM better not phone in the 3rd gen Colorado. Itís been successful so far but the Bronco and Ranger share the same chassis. Ford could really boost the Rangerís off-road performance for the next generation with stuff from the Bronco. GM dropped the ball with the Blazer. They could have easily done the Blazer on the Colorado platform and a Trailblazer cross over, like Ford did with the Bronco and Bronco Sport.
__________________
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 01:03 PM   #8
KMPrenger


 
KMPrenger's Avatar
 
Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jefferson City, Missouri
Posts: 13,548
I'm not sure what to think of the new Maverick, or for that matter, anything else that other brands may come out with as competitors.

Every time I see someone online talk about how bad they want a true small truck, what they mention about it is the ability to do work. They all want the cheap regular cab with the long bed, or at most the extended cab.

The Maverick will come in crew cab configuration only, and the bed will probably be even smaller than the Ranger's standard bed. So with that in mind, is this really the small truck that everyone on the forums says they want? I applaud Ford for taking a chance, but I don't think so. I'm not saying there isn't a group out there that wants these. But unless space is a high premium, and you still want some sort of a bed, why not just get a Ranger? I guess cost (and probably mileage) will factor to that decision. The Ranger and Colorado/Canyon are not big trucks. Comparable in size to full size trucks from 20 years ago, but they are still not as wide as those trucks were. ( I just looked it up to confirm lol) In terms of height, and in length (with the 6 foot bed) they new mid-size trucks are similar to those old full sizers.

The current full size trucks are huge. I like them, but they are. I can't imagine them getting any bigger over the next generation or two. I think my Colorado is near perfect for me and my uses. Maybe the next gen Ranger and GM twins will grow some, but I don't see them growing much if at all. The next gen GM twins will ride on the same (albeit updated) platform after all.
__________________
2016 Camaro 1SS - 8-speed - NPP - Black bowties
2010 Camaro 1LT V6 (Sold. I will miss her!)
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 01:27 PM   #9
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado
 
FenwickHockey65's Avatar
 
Drives: 03 Envoy, 15 Charger, 20 Colorado
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 36,752
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Aaaaand leaked.








For what it is, it's not bad, but there's definitely something awkward about the design IMO.
__________________

2003 GMC Envoy SLE
2015 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)
2020 Chevrolet Colorado W/T Extended Cab (State-issued)
FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 02:12 PM   #10
shaffe


 
Drives: 2018 Mazda6
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Carol Stream
Posts: 5,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I'm not sure what to think of the new Maverick, or for that matter, anything else that other brands may come out with as competitors.

Every time I see someone online talk about how bad they want a true small truck, what they mention about it is the ability to do work. They all want the cheap regular cab with the long bed, or at most the extended cab.

The Maverick will come in crew cab configuration only, and the bed will probably be even smaller than the Ranger's standard bed. So with that in mind, is this really the small truck that everyone on the forums says they want? I applaud Ford for taking a chance, but I don't think so. I'm not saying there isn't a group out there that wants these. But unless space is a high premium, and you still want some sort of a bed, why not just get a Ranger? I guess cost (and probably mileage) will factor to that decision. The Ranger and Colorado/Canyon are not big trucks. Comparable in size to full size trucks from 20 years ago, but they are still not as wide as those trucks were. ( I just looked it up to confirm lol) In terms of height, and in length (with the 6 foot bed) they new mid-size trucks are similar to those old full sizers.

The current full size trucks are huge. I like them, but they are. I can't imagine them getting any bigger over the next generation or two. I think my Colorado is near perfect for me and my uses. Maybe the next gen Ranger and GM twins will grow some, but I don't see them growing much if at all. The next gen GM twins will ride on the same (albeit updated) platform after all.
I honestly am not sure how well it will do in the residential sector, but if they make a work truck version I could see it being a hit in the commercial side. There are certain times you just need a truck bed but not necessarily a full size. I could see this being perfect for contractors/etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Aaaaand leaked.








For what it is, it's not bad, but there's definitely something awkward about the design IMO.
From those few pictures its not awful looking but it looks unproportionate. And something about the front end looks off a bit as well
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72MachOne99GT View Post
Lets keep it simple. ..
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 02:14 PM   #11
KMPrenger


 
KMPrenger's Avatar
 
Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jefferson City, Missouri
Posts: 13,548
lol. Well there you go.

Not a bad looking little truck. Side and rear seem decent. I like the interior. I wonder if the new Ranger will be similar inside?

Front feels a bit awkward.
__________________
2016 Camaro 1SS - 8-speed - NPP - Black bowties
2010 Camaro 1LT V6 (Sold. I will miss her!)
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 02:46 PM   #12
FarmerFran

 
FarmerFran's Avatar
 
Drives: Challenger 392
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Earth
Posts: 1,675
Is that a 3' bed?
__________________
Challenger R/T 392 Scatpack Wide Body - Octane Red - TR6060

Gone but not forgotten - 2020 Camaro 2SS Convertible - Riverside Blue Metallic - TR6060 - NPP - Low Gloss Black 5-Spoke with Black Nuts
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 03:24 PM   #13
snizzle
Recalled user
 
snizzle's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 2,863
The front is a hot mess. It'll be a success though I bet. Assuming it's a lower cost way to get in a comfortable truck (that doesn't drive/ride like a truck) for the Saturday Lowe's crowd.
__________________

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 04:14 PM   #14
KMPrenger


 
KMPrenger's Avatar
 
Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jefferson City, Missouri
Posts: 13,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
...There are certain times you just need a truck bed but not necessarily a full size. I could see this being perfect for contractors/etc..
But that's what I was getting at earlier. Contractors aren't going to want a crew cab (only) truck with a very small bed.

This feels like the re-invention of the Ford Sport Trac, but smaller.
__________________
2016 Camaro 1SS - 8-speed - NPP - Black bowties
2010 Camaro 1LT V6 (Sold. I will miss her!)
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.