The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Member's Lounge > General Automotive Discussions

Old 12-22-2016, 01:11 PM   #1
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Would you buy a Buick ZL1?

http://nseavoice.com/cars/chevrolet-...920019533.html
Old 12-22-2016, 01:25 PM   #2
Diggitydog

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Nightfall Convertible M6
Cadillac basically has this covered.
Diggitydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 01:26 PM   #3
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
I'd buy one as long as it had a "Buick Performance Division" badge under the hood.

Last edited by hawk02; 12-22-2016 at 01:38 PM.
hawk02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 01:37 PM   #4
iPODFAN11

Drives: 2019 Shock ZL1
The ZL1 honestly, in my opinion, near renders the CTS-V useless, just like the Camaro V6 and SS near render the ATS/ATS-V coupe useless. Why spend the $$$? The better performing cars are cheaper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
we're certainly looking at it -- but right now, the emphasis MUST be on getting the Camaro V6 and SS out -- and having it exceed your expectations....

Once that's done....................
iPODFAN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 02:01 PM   #5
MuhThugga
Poppycock

Drives: Pontiac GTO
The ATS and ATS-V have been overpriced from the start, just as the rest of Cadillac's fleet. Which is why Cadillac has abysmal sales figures.

A rear-drive, performance coupe from Buick would be pretty sweet, though.
MuhThugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 02:03 PM   #6
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Depends on pricing and performance. I've owned the previous gen CTS-V and traded to the Camaro ZL1. ZL1 has some performance advantages but the comfort items in the CTS were nice also. I would love a little more modern comfort in a ZL1 or a little more performance capability in a Caddy or a Buick. I just don't see Buick marketing a car in this performance range. Where I live, Buick buyers are typically the slowest drivers on the road. If I see a Buick at a stop light next to a Prius the Prius will usually leave it when the light turns green. Buick drivers in my region of the country do not seem to be interested in speed at all.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 02:13 PM   #7
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
My first performance car 0-60 in 7.6 and 16.1 in the 1/4. Could it be a muscle car?

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/ca...8_4-speed.html
Old 12-22-2016, 02:39 PM   #8
COmaro

Drives: Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPODFAN11 View Post
Why spend the $$$? The better performing cars are cheaper!
Maybe you want to carry passengers in the backseat?
COmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 02:41 PM   #9
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
If they called it the "Buick Grand National" it would sell like hot cakes
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 03:25 PM   #10
17CamaroZL1
Life's Short, Live Fast!

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
Right on!!
Life's Short, Live Fast! https://youtu.be/rTUv2p4T7OA 10.94 at 128 mph, 11.13 at 127mph 870 DA, https://youtu.be/e_X_LcpFp50 11.19 at 127mph 1100 DA, https://youtu.be/OXQiCQdQuH4 11.40 at 125mph 1800 DA
https://youtu.be/uWba1qs8M6Q 11.52 at 123mph 3500 DA
TZQPHG '17 ZL1 HBM|A10|Nav|PDR|CFW Hood|ZL1 Mats

12/26/2016 Ordered!
2/8/2017 Built!!
3/2/2017 Brought Home!!!
17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 03:33 PM   #11
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPODFAN11 View Post
The ZL1 honestly, in my opinion, near renders the CTS-V useless, just like the Camaro V6 and SS near render the ATS/ATS-V coupe useless. Why spend the $$$? The better performing cars are cheaper!
Because shockingly, price and performance are not the only two metrics that people buy cars on. The Cadillacs are simply nicer cars than the Camaro is. Niceness costs extra.

Quote:
No it wouldn't. See Camaro, ATS, and CTS sales for proof.

Furthermore, since Camaro sales aren't doing that well, and Cadillac ATS & CTS sales aren't doing that well ... why in the world would GM create a Buick that would mostly just steal sales from its siblings?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 03:46 PM   #12
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post

No it wouldn't. See Camaro, ATS, and CTS sales for proof.

Furthermore, since Camaro sales aren't doing that well, and Cadillac ATS & CTS sales aren't doing that well ... why in the world would GM create a Buick that would mostly just steal sales from its siblings?
ATS and CTS do not have the legacy that the Grand National name has. Plus the CTS is not the same price point as the ZL1 and the ATS is not an LT4 powered car. Last I heard the ZL1 is selling pretty darn good. Tell me that if they made same amount of these per year as they are planning on making of the ZL1 of these per year, sold it at the same price point, and named it the Grand National it wouldn't sell the same number as the ZL1?

EDIT: And I'm talking about if they made this INSTEAD of the ZL1 like the article is talking about. NOT if they made the ZL1 and this Buick.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 05:34 PM   #13
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
ATS and CTS do not have the legacy that the Grand National name has. Plus the CTS is not the same price point as the ZL1 and the ATS is not an LT4 powered car. Last I heard the ZL1 is selling pretty darn good. Tell me that if they made same amount of these per year as they are planning on making of the ZL1 of these per year, sold it at the same price point, and named it the Grand National it wouldn't sell the same number as the ZL1?

EDIT: And I'm talking about if they made this INSTEAD of the ZL1 like the article is talking about. NOT if they made the ZL1 and this Buick.
Part of the reason for why the ZL1 is priced where it is is because it mostly shares a body & interior with the SS & LT models. Over the run of the 6th gen, there will probably be something like 400,000 cars produced that share nearly all their bodywork.

Tooling up for a total production run of maybe 20k Buicks over 5 years (peaking at 5 or 6k in the first year, then tapering off quickly) means that each fender, each door skin, each roof panel carries 20 times the tooling cost. That drives up cost, which means that either content needs to be sacrificed to maintain the same pricepoint (reducing desirability) or pushing the MSRP up (which also makes fewer people want to buy it).

So you can't get a Grand National on its own, built just like the ZL1, at the price of the ZL1. You'd have to give something up in there. Something that either reduces is appeal, or forces it to compete more directly with other cars in the GM lineup.

Also ... wouldn't a Grand National use the LF3 (from the CTS-Vsport) instead of the LT4? Seeing as the car was famous for its turbocharged V6, seems like a reincarnation of it aught to also have a turbo6 under the hood. And if you'd rather the turbo6 be the LF4 (from the ATS-V), I'd say keep that for the GNX.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 06:07 PM   #14
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member

Drives: 17 Hyper Blue Metallic KLR-ZL1
Remember that Buick is China's Cadillac and that is why it never got dismantled like Pontiac.