#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 07-15-2021, 01:54 PM   #1
joeyazzata29
j1ss

Drives: '21 2SS 1LE
Auto Insurance and Track Days

So I actually work dealing with auto insurance and I can tell you there is major variations even within the same companies based on state, location, type of policy etc

Ofc there is companies like Hagarty that are designed for track day insurance coverage, but I've heard of a few people now who's regular auto coverage has covered them in the event of an accident on track.

I think this could also vary for example some race tracks have a listed street name on maps (the actual race track part) so when you make a claim it would have a legit street name/address of the incident

I guess im asking do you guys know of any regular auto insurance companies that cover track days/HPDE? what state are you in? was it a special add on or just part of the policy like its crashing on a regular road?

Be safe
joeyazzata29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 02:00 PM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
my buddy totalled his cobalt ss at my very first track day and they covered it because it was hpde and not a actual race/time trial and i believe he had farmers

i know people who get track insurance always and i know some people that only get it a few times a year...just depends i guess
Old 07-15-2021, 02:28 PM   #3
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Track insurance.. better have it then finding out too late.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 03:23 PM   #4
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
If you ask about adding track coverage as an add on, you might get a non renewal letter from your insurance company. In Texas most companies have exclusions for driving on a racing surface (so HPDE is not covered) and/or timed events...search the policy PDF for "surface", "rac", "time", "course". Geico is one that does not have a racing surface exclusion but does exclude stunting which is not clearly defined in the policy or in general IMO.

Not sure if a track falls under "off-road" or a similar term since it is not a public road but there could be an exclusion for something like that too.

Best to expect no coverage from street insurance but you may be able to get a single incident covered followed by a non renewal notice depending on the policy's fine print.

Last edited by cdrptrks; 07-15-2021 at 04:01 PM.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 04:01 PM   #5
kropscamaro16

hagerty is who most people use but i have seen a few other companies also lately
Old 07-15-2021, 04:02 PM   #6
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
I know someone that totalled a C5 Z06 a few years ago at an autox. Progressive covered it and then dropped him. That seems like the best-case scenario to me.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 04:21 PM   #7
kropscamaro16

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshjowler View Post
I know someone that totalled a C5 Z06 a few years ago at an autox. Progressive covered it and then dropped him. That seems like the best-case scenario to me.

how do you total a car at an auto x? lol hit too many cones?
Old 07-15-2021, 06:44 PM   #8
clyde

Drives: broken
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
Well, in cold weather, cones can be hard enough to do big damage, actually. Ask me how I know.

But, "incidents" are much more common than anyone involved would like them to be. There's a lot more risk at most events than most people realize. Probably still the lowest risk of motorsports by far, but that risk is far from zero.

The hush-hush culture is amazingly strong.

Lockton Motorsports offers a low-cost, stated value autocross specific policy that covers the car in autocross competition while the owner and one codriver are driving.
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 06:48 PM   #9
Beescuz

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE
I use Open Track. Will be doing 25 track days this year. It covers two cars and up to five people on the track. I also added Liability to the coverage to cover damage to the track.
Beescuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 07:26 AM   #10
foshjowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
This specific one was before I was in the area, but a codriver hit a curb and flipped the car. I've personally seen 2 cars get totaled at events.

A Mini got into a tank slapper and slid into a curb. Destroyed the whole underside of the back of the car, a rear window literally popped out.

Another time a Corvette slid into a poll. I blame the driver 100% for that one. They normally drove a Miata on Hoosiers, and they co-drove this Corvette, and the first corner on the first run their solution to sliding was adding more throttle. They are (were?) a national level driver, but they didn't help pay for the Corvette or the poll they knocked down. They're now blackballed from all the clubs in the area.

Most sites aren't totally devoid of risk. The courses are generally designed so that you can spin and not hit anything, but if you try to save it and fail, things can go very wrong.

Also, Fiesta STs flip on their own at a surprising rate. A high center of gravity, stiff springs, and soft shocks isn't a great recipe for keeping all 4 wheels facing down.

Youtube Channel

Old 07-16-2021, 07:44 AM   #11
5.M0NSTER

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beescuz View Post
I use Open Track. Will be doing 25 track days this year. It covers two cars and up to five people on the track. I also added Liability to the coverage to cover damage to the track.
Wow, 25 events a year is a ton.

How does open track compare to pricewise to getting a bunch of single day coverage options. I only do 4-5 per year, but I was curious about open track.

I've used both Lockton and Hagerty before.
5.M0NSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 08:20 AM   #12
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Autocross is not devoid of risk, but as you go faster and weather is bad, cars slide for looooong distance, once n looooong while encountering fixed objects.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 01:46 PM   #13
joeyazzata29
j1ss

Drives: '21 2SS 1LE
wow good responses for sure. seems the general consensus is if you are lucky enough that your regular insurance covers an HPDE incident, you can expect to be dropped
joeyazzata29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 03:58 PM   #14
foshjowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyazzata29 View Post
wow good responses for sure. seems the general consensus is if you are lucky enough that your regular insurance covers an HPDE incident, you can expect to be dropped
They may just deny your claim even if there isn't some sort of racing clause in it. My theory is why risk a major investment to save a couple of hundred dollars.

I don't personally insure for autox, but I also don't take the Camaro to events where there are hard things within spinning distance. That's what the Miata is for, until I have like $20k into it lol.

Youtube Channel