Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-01-2021, 08:16 PM   #1
Savwafare10
time to play

Drives: 2012 SS Convertable (stick)
2012 SS Convertable, "tunes add on" Music..

Been in Bass comp long long time ago... the basic 2012 stereo is "ok" (Boston speakers) I just simply want to add a single sub. comp 10in in the trunk. This is my first convertable ever. I can build the box to fit and be safe... patch in to "rear speakers" for line input for the sub amp ect... Its cheesy I know, but if one tunes it all It sounds pretty good (classic rock, old school rap, ect ect. If one has already done this..... and came out with not so good performance, I'd like to know, what, where and how. Not looking for the class D 4Kw system, just a little more "low end" and blend with the factory system. I have done complete comp systems on a POS roll in car (no engine or drivetrain just tunes) but this was back pre Mosfet and lots of batteries (aka lowrider life in the 80s) Car its self is fast enough stock, with its limits.... I've driven quicker, faster, wheelie standing cars/trucks..... its time to cruse and enjoy now. ;-)
Savwafare10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 10:51 PM   #2
Mr V

Drives: 2011 VR SS Vert
There is already a 8" (maybe 10 in boston) between the back seats. You will see the material has holes in it to let the sound through. I bought and upgraded my non-boston sub from a member here. He had it mounted to a board so it matched right up to where the old one screwed on. Also got a rockford amp with it. I had to keep the original amp so the power would go on with the key. I just cut the speaker wires off and just used it just for power on. I believe the correct connector for the boston system is available out there. google the forums for convertible subwoofer and you should be able to find posts that detailed how to do it on the boston system. Since the subwoofer is open to the trunk it still does not have a lot of punch. I think you would need to box it somehow to really make it sound better. I suppose if you just removed the existing subwoofer the sound would come through the hole from a regular subwoofer. In the convertible you don't have a whole lot of room in a already small trunk. JL audio has a nice double subwoofer box that is made to fit under where the top would be in the trunk. Was spendy at over $1k if I remember right.
Mr V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 10:51 PM   #3
Savwafare10
time to play

well well, room for improvement then. Thanks for the info, I will look into it. I just want a little more....lol (addiction)
Old 09-02-2021, 11:18 PM   #4
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
I didn't want a sub that was loose, or took lots of space. Some subs I looked at had reviews they ran down the battery or burned out in a few months. So I spent the $ on the factory add in sub, see my install and review if it's something you are considering. Dealer installed OEM option-Kicker brand about $600 and fills in the bass but doesn't thump like a big woofer will. It does fit in good and doesn't run the battery down so I'm ok with it.
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540498
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 01:12 AM   #5
Ponchonutty

Drives: 2012 SS L99 Converible
I was in the same situation. Took out the factory sub (if you can even call it that) and installed a 10” free air setup in its place. Still sounded flat. Ended up putting a Power Bass comp 10” in a custom box being ran off of a Fosgate class D amp. That made a vast improvement. Later I ended up swapping the headunit out using a Maestro kit then finally swapped out the rest of the speakers for Kickers with their 4 channel KEY amp. For a convertible it sounds very respectable. The harmonics are horrid in these cars even in hard top form. The automatic setup of the kicker amp was spot on. Here’s my corny tiktok that shows some of it https://youtube.com/shorts/iN6Q4jFwnwI?feature=share
Old 09-03-2021, 07:54 PM   #6
Savwafare10
time to play

all of it noted!!, Nice write up SilverSleeper, and nice fit Ponchnutty. I will get into the trunk here after a while and look at the OE ordeal. Decent 10in sub needs around .75 CI of space, and a slim style box under the cargo/ Convertable top net ,just by eye ball is about right. Kenwood class D Kw amp and a single Skar 10 will do. So far the Skar has been holding up here in the office/computor room ( I have a pair under the desk in 2 different custom boxes for something else.) I see remote power maybe a issue, have to locate a schematic of some sort. Maybe even as simple as a key switched "on" to a micro toggle switch for the remote power on for the sub amp...idk. Yeah the Bosten/GM stereo, when you crank it up, the bass fades off. I have to do some serious looking but I remember a active input device that can be adjusted just for that reason. I think my blend door works for the Hvac, so until then.... I'm not pulling the dash apart.lol Getting lazy I guess. Stock tunes are meh, OK at best for now. Back in the day, the dash would have been pulled the second day I owned the ride... getting old sucks ;-)
Old 09-03-2021, 09:08 PM   #7
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
I recently did my car and went the completely opposite route. I really don't care about trunk space, but I admit I really didn't use the space very well here, lol. Obviously, this would not have been an option if I had a convertible.

I may eventually go with a dual 12 inch setup against the rear seats to regain some room. On a side note, it does sound freaking amazing!
Attached Images

2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 03:43 PM   #8
Savwafare10
time to play

Nice... I'd a went the same route or something simulor if it wasn't a conv. If and when I do the custom box the sub will have to face upwards, using the width for the .75 Cubic ft (ish) single 10. I may be wasting my time all together, being a soft top, sub not facing to the rear ect... Im sure it will add some low end. I just got this 12' last week so, Oil leak and plugs and wires need to be addressed, then will look into the "aftermarket" stuff and things for under the hood. I see I need to address the main ground lead off the battery back in the trunk. But again to all chiming in!! gives me a few ideas!!