Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-22-2020, 01:35 PM   #15
snowcatter

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Coupe M6
Yes, what he said. I should have clarified that I was referring to the tires that would be installed on a ZL1 (typically supercar tires) do not have issues with "flat spots" Yes cheap tires can develop some flat spots due to temperature extremes but even those will drive out after a few miles. I would like to think the OP doesn't have cheap tires on his baby. I also don't use stabil in any of my stored vehicles, but I do use non e premium because it's the ethanol that damages the fuel system in storage. I appreciate the recommendation of the CTEK as I have yet to own a battery tender that can be trusted...they all seem to be garbage. But honestly as far as flat spots go I live in the snow belt, been storing vehicles over the winter for 20+ years now and have never experienced flat spots on my tires....ever.
snowcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:15 PM   #16
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcatter View Post
But honestly as far as flat spots go I live in the snow belt, been storing vehicles over the winter for 20+ years now and have never experienced flat spots on my tires....ever.
Totally agree on this point. Just have your tires to pressure before storing and let it sit. No flat spots in all my years, as well.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:25 PM   #17
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limelight View Post
Thanks. Would the CTEK 40-206 MXS 5.0-12 Volt Battery Charger work fine? I saw this on Amazon but it says it’s not compatible with a 2013 Camaro for some reason so thought I’d ask. Never heard of CTEK before but it looks to have some good features and gets excellent reviews.
I have the 4.3 which works on any 12. Volt system. Has a selection for bike/Atv/ lawn tractor, small battery, and full size 12 volt car truck. I don’t think the 5.0 has the small battery selection other than that they are the same. But you could confirm that by a quick call to them.

Just read on their site and the diff is the 4.3 does an alternator charge test. Never used that feature.

Last edited by ZMEnow; 10-22-2020 at 09:50 PM.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 06:26 AM   #18
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
Sheesh, name calling? Really?

Maybe some of this is about what we call things. I would not really call what I experience flat spots. When I think of flat spots I think of Nascar when they lock them up and scrub the rubber right off the tire.

What I do experience happens when the car sits for a long winter. First drive, the tires are wobbling and thumping for a while then even out. I avoid even that happening by parking on the foam. It's so cheap, why not?

I works for me and I have Michelin Super Sports on my car.
Happy_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 12:20 PM   #19
PJMZL1

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Ctek. I put rubber mats under my tires to avoid the concrete pulling moisture from the tires.
Old 10-23-2020, 03:35 PM   #20
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
I have the 4.3 which works on any 12. Volt system. Has a selection for bike/Atv/ lawn tractor, small battery, and full size 12 volt car truck. I don’t think the 5.0 has the small battery selection other than that they are the same. But you could confirm that by a quick call to them.

Just read on their site and the diff is the 4.3 does an alternator charge test. Never used that feature.

Read a little more last night and the 5.0 is actually a newer version of the 4.3 and has the cold weather charging adjustment as an automagic feature vs. manually activating. So I ordered one, and will put the old 4.3 on the John Deere. Thanks for asking a question that ultimately makes me spend more money...
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 05:50 PM   #21
Mr V

Drives: 2011 VR SS Vert
I use these. Not cheap but figured I would have them forever. It could be they are something I don't need to worry about but with the price I paid for the michelins it gives me piece of mind.
Attached Images

Mr V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 02:45 PM   #22
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Let it run once a month for 30min, with garage door up 6" to avoid carbon monoxide buildup. Move it forward one month then back the next month at least 4". If it's super cold you might need to run it an hour, having oil temps up at 200 for a good 20min. It is debatable if 5min startups do more harm than good. Mostly good except possible moisture buildups.

Don't feel like typing all the things this helps do for pumps, injectors, bearings, seals, belts and oiling and fluid moving and coating things.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:11 AM   #23
Little Walter

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcatter View Post
Seriously? Flat spots? These aren't bias ply tires on a 55 buick. I store my car every winter and have never had an issue with developing flat spots in the tires. You guys are filling his head with nonsense ����
Little Walter is offline   Reply With Quote