Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-31-2019, 02:38 PM   #1
gunchamp

Drives: 15 Camaro SS
Some advice from those who have been there

Hi guys. I have my 2015 L99 Camaro SS torn down to the short block. I placed my order with GPI yesterday and ordered the max performance kit. Upgraded a few parts. So i already have longtubes and corsa exhaust. Also a cai. Anything else need changed or should be changed while i have the motor apart? Im doing a converter and 391 rear as well. Just trying to make sure i dont end up kicking myself for not changing something i should have when it was all easy to get to. Thanks
gunchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 04:05 PM   #2
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
What intake manifold did you go with? If it’s aftermarket I would get a throttle body that matches the inlet of the intake manifold. Fast will be 102mm and MSD is 103mm
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 04:12 PM   #3
3rdgen3
10-bolt Destroyer

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - AGM, LS3/6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunchamp View Post
Hi guys. I have my 2015 L99 Camaro SS torn down to the short block. I placed my order with GPI yesterday and ordered the max performance kit. Upgraded a few parts. So i already have longtubes and corsa exhaust. Also a cai. Anything else need changed or should be changed while i have the motor apart? Im doing a converter and 391 rear as well. Just trying to make sure i dont end up kicking myself for not changing something i should have when it was all easy to get to. Thanks
Yes, change the ls3/gen4 timing chain tensioner in favor for the Ls2 dogbone style dampener. Did you order lifters with your max package if not nows your chance for some Johnson short travels.

If youre looking for "max" HP you'll also need to order a crank scrapper and an under drive pulley along with an electric water pump.

Good luck with the build!

Sent from my LG-H933 using Tapatalk

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3/TR6060: Cam, Headers, Exhaust, Intake, Gears, Twin Disk, Suspension, Tuned - 475rwhp, 443rwtq
3rdgen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 04:42 PM   #4
gunchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
What intake manifold did you go with? If it’s aftermarket I would get a throttle body that matches the inlet of the intake manifold. Fast will be 102mm and MSD is 103mm
The ls7 option
Old 12-31-2019, 04:44 PM   #5
gunchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdgen3 View Post
Yes, change the ls3/gen4 timing chain tensioner in favor for the Ls2 dogbone style dampener. Did you order lifters with your max package if not nows your chance for some Johnson short travels.

If youre looking for "max" HP you'll also need to order a crank scrapper and an under drive pulley along with an electric water pump.

Got the lifters. Doing the dod delete obviously and switching to ls3. Not really chasing every last little bit of power, but those are a great idea.
Old 12-31-2019, 04:46 PM   #6
gunchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdgen3 View Post

And ive read alot of bailing the tensioner. So is the ls2 dogbone a direct drop in? Also is the factory chain i have fine? Factory oil pump? Thanks
Old 12-31-2019, 05:05 PM   #7
3rdgen3
10-bolt Destroyer

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - AGM, LS3/6M
Quote:
And ive read alot of bailing the tensioner. So is the ls2 dogbone a direct drop in? Also is the factory chain i have fine? Factory oil pump? Thanks
They break, I've have it happen to my L76 and I've seen it happen to an LY6 and my buddies ls3. Yes the Ls2 drops right in. Your chain i cant say i don't know your mileage. Cheap insure and not expensive for a GMPP chain or IWIS chain. Stock l99 pump is probably the best stock pump lol.

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3/TR6060: Cam, Headers, Exhaust, Intake, Gears, Twin Disk, Suspension, Tuned - 475rwhp, 443rwtq
3rdgen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 05:05 PM   #8
Chris49066SS

Drives: 2010 SS L99
Quote:
The chain is up to you, and its hand in hand, in a way, with the oil pump, since you need to drop the pan to do the chain. The L99 comes with a better oil pump from the factory (they made it a higher volume unit in order to accommodate the factory AFM) The main things are what your goals and intended usage are going to be, combined with budget, and how many miles there already are on the car.

Heres an example; I am at 87k miles, with 11k miles on my cam. I make 483rwhp with an L99 and run the stock chain, but spin it to 7700 RPM. I've had no issues, however, at closer to 100k miles, I will be getting the Katech C5R chain and a new Melling high volume oil pump.

My point is that on a lower mileage L99 I would keep the stock oil pump, but definitely replace the chain. Anything 100k and more, I'd just knock them both out. My budget just didn't allow me to do the chain when I had the rest done.

And yes, the wedge-style tensioner is a simple one-piece replacement, and is included in GPI's cam kits. Its quite inexpensive too.

Last edited by Chris49066SS; 12-31-2019 at 05:15 PM.
Chris49066SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 09:09 PM   #9
Athletics101

Drives: 5th Gen L99
I’m not up to date on the “Max performance kit” but make sure the heads have a trunnions upgrade. External oil cooler for the stall may go without saying but, some people don’t.
LSA conversion 2.5 upper 10% lower, L99 converted to LS3. TSP 229/244 cam, TSP LS3 ported and milled heads milled .015,Kooks LT’s no cats, Roto Fab, Borla arak cat back. 3200 stall,Forgestar F14 18’s and drag radials, pedders coil overs, BMR trailing arms & adjustable toe rods, mildly stripped Interior 685/613 on E 610/571 on 91
Athletics101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 10:29 PM   #10
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Yes, the dogbone is a direct drop in. The most difficult part is actually removing the LS3 tensioner since chain and top gear need to come off. But you will already be in that far anyway. The LS2 style bolts right in easy peasy. It is nice piece of mind because it has zero moving parts, unlike the brittle and poorly designed LS3 part. Best part? It's like $16 for the AC Delco dogbone.

If you have the money I would highly recommend an oil pump as well. I installed a Melling HV 10296 in my rebuild. But you have an L99 pump which is already superior to the OEM LS3 pump. How many miles do you have on the shortblock? That should play a role in this as well. If it's low mileage, you L99 pump may be fine.

The chain itself is your call really. I have seen a ton of guys running in excess of 460 rwhp running stock chain. Check for excessive slop. I have personally never heard of an LS3/L99 timing chain failure, but I am sure it has happened to someone. But like all these other things we are mentioning, it is a nice thing to replace while you are in there and is fairly cheap to upgrade. All these parts offer a bit of comfort after spending this kind of money.

If I could do my LS3 rebuild over again, I probably would have put more money into the lifters. But money was tight and I went with stock LS7 lifters which was ok for me for now since I was just refreshing the engine on the stock cam.

In the end it all comes down to your wallet. If you have endless funds then replace everything while you are in there. If money is tight or you are trying to be careful, then prioritize. Think about your mileage and replace/upgrade wear parts. When building a monster engine it is always better to be proactive than reactive.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI

Last edited by InFiD3ViL; 12-31-2019 at 10:45 PM.
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 11:21 PM   #11
gunchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athletics101 View Post
I’m not up to date on the “Max performance kit” but make sure the heads have a trunnions upgrade. External oil cooler for the stall may go without saying but, some people don’t.
Yup, already got a monster trucool setup for the trans
Old 12-31-2019, 11:24 PM   #12
gunchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athletics101 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
Yes, the dogbone is a direct drop in. The most difficult part is actually removing the LS3 tensioner since chain and top gear need to come off. But you will already be in that far anyway. The LS2 style bolts right in easy peasy. It is nice piece of mind because it has zero moving parts, unlike the brittle and poorly designed LS3 part. Best part? It's like $16 for the AC Delco dogbone.

If you have the money I would highly recommend an oil pump as well. I installed a Melling HV 10296 in my rebuild. But you have an L99 pump which is already superior to the OEM LS3 pump. How many miles do you have on the shortblock? That should play a role in this as well. If it's low mileage, you L99 pump may be fine.

The chain itself is your call really. I have seen a ton of guys running in excess of 460 rwhp running stock chain. Check for excessive slop. I have personally never heard of an LS3/L99 timing chain failure, but I am sure it has happened to someone. But like all these other things we are mentioning, it is a nice thing to replace while you are in there and is fairly cheap to upgrade. All these parts offer a bit of comfort after spending this kind of money.

If I could do my LS3 rebuild over again, I probably would have put more money into the lifters. But money was tight and I went with stock LS7 lifters which was ok for me for now since I was just refreshing the engine on the stock cam.

In the end it all comes down to your wallet. If you have endless funds then replace everything while you are in there. If money is tight or you are trying to be careful, then prioritize. Think about your mileage and replace/upgrade wear parts. When building a monster engine it is always better to be proactive than reactive.
60k miles and i can spend as much as my wife lets me lol which i know us at least 6k which ive spent already haha
Old 01-01-2020, 01:44 AM   #13
weSS1LEy
weSS1LEy

Drives: 2015 camaro 2ss/rs/1le
Do people reuse the stock pump because the assembly and alignment of the aftermarket one can be done wrong? My shop said stock pump but I could get a melling if I wanted but they didn’t see failures of stock
Old 01-01-2020, 02:25 PM   #14
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by weSS1LEy View Post
Do people reuse the stock pump because the assembly and alignment of the aftermarket one can be done wrong? My shop said stock pump but I could get a melling if I wanted but they didn’t see failures of stock
Ls3 pumps have failed. I'd get the Melling hi press oil pump without a doubt. Did not shimmed mine and just slapped it there and it's all good since 3 years. I like
The extra oil pressure for all the rpm.

LS2 dogbone, better lifters, stock new chain et voila.

Old setup: TSP 231-236/Tick 660/.105 PR, UDP, SW LT 2'' & HFC, stock NPP & H pipe, VR-DRX CAI, air scoop, Goertz1 manifold, 102mm BBK, 26" Toyo DRs, Forgestars R17x10 & F18x8, rear seat delete, remote Pat G tune Autocal, 7400 limiter, Spec Mini Twin. 91oct. 11.90@122.3, 0-60ft 2.0 / 11.99@123.6, 0-60ft 2.1 DA+819 ...519RWHP SAE

Solid roller SBE LS3, FED, LLSR, 91oct, 605rwhp N/A. Tuned by Pat G. Build by me.
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote