Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-27-2018, 11:39 PM   #1
ZL1_Jay

Drives: 2017 camaro ZL1 A10 Krypton green
LS3 heads

Forgive me for the question, I've searched and can't find the answer. Friend of mine has a 2014 1LE. Put headers on and one of the header bolts broke in the passenger head. So, we had another set of heads from a 2015 1LE that had a good driver side head, so we're gonna use that on the passenger side, as I was under the impression that they were interchangeable. Problem we are running into is that the hard coolant line that goes across the front if the heads doesn't fit now. There is no threaded hole for the nipple to go in. Is there something I'm missing?
ZL1_Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 07:44 AM   #2
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
why not remove the broken bolt? worst case the threads get buggered up and you would have to heli coil...good luck!
Old 01-28-2018, 09:16 AM   #3
3rdgen3
10-bolt Destroyer

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - AGM, LS3/6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1_Jay View Post
Forgive me for the question, I've searched and can't find the answer. Friend of mine has a 2014 1LE. Put headers on and one of the header bolts broke in the passenger head. So, we had another set of heads from a 2015 1LE that had a good driver side head, so we're gonna use that on the passenger side, as I was under the impression that they were interchangeable. Problem we are running into is that the hard coolant line that goes across the front if the heads doesn't fit now. There is no threaded hole for the nipple to go in. Is there something I'm missing?
Yes there is something you're missing. Youve installed the The 2015 1le donor heads you have on the wrong side. Although theyre physically interchangeable the rear cross-over coolant "steam" ports are blocked off on all Gen4 LS motors.

You will need to drill 2x holes and tap the one thats supposed to be threaded to make it work OR change the head to the proper one. Also now that the 'front' is blocked off because the wrong head is on thw wrong side, you have an open steam hole where coolant will pour out at the back of the head if you try and run it this way.

BTW, you know its pretty easy to extract a broken exhaust bolt in the heads right? A welder and a spare hex nut will get the job done a lot faster than swapping the head and a head gasket.

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3/TR6060: Cam, Headers, Exhaust, Intake, Gears, Twin Disk, Suspension, Tuned - 475rwhp, 443rwtq
3rdgen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:51 AM   #4
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
Yup what he just said.....correctamundo...
Old 01-28-2018, 04:53 PM   #5
CGT

Drives: 2011 SSm6
There is not a separate left and right head. The rear is usually plugged with a hard insert plug. It can be extracted and used. And you will need to make sure to plug the rear.
CGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:09 PM   #6
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
I run a crossover on the rear just like the front. Part comes off a 5.3 truck. Bent perfectly to fit around the oil pressure sensor.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:47 PM   #7
TWOFORTYZ

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdgen3 View Post
BTW, you know its pretty easy to extract a broken exhaust bolt in the heads right? A welder and a spare hex nut will get the job done a lot faster than swapping the head and a head gasket.
As a welder with 14 years experience that has tried this, it is NOT easy when done in the car. I gave up and installed the accessory bracket with 3/5 bolts.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:51 PM   #8
3rdgen3
10-bolt Destroyer

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - AGM, LS3/6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWOFORTYZ View Post
As a welder with 14 years experience that has tried this, it is NOT easy when done in the car. I gave up and installed the accessory bracket with 3/5 bolts.
Depends on the car. On a 5th gen every header bolt hole is easily accessible and from personal experience having used this method multiple times it has worked every time. On a 4th gen or a Vette you're right you probably wouldn't be able too.

But if you're going to go through all the effort to pull the head off and than change it completely it takes an additional 30 seconds to weld a nut to the broken stud, even easier off the car obviously. This will end up being the route this guys gonna have to go unless he's going to drill and tap the holes in the replacement head and put a plug in the rear port.

Sent from my LG-H933 using Tapatalk

2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3/TR6060: Cam, Headers, Exhaust, Intake, Gears, Twin Disk, Suspension, Tuned - 475rwhp, 443rwtq
3rdgen3 is offline   Reply With Quote