Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-06-2017, 06:15 PM   #1
PatrickS

Drives: 2011 2LT RS
Why did you buy a Camaro?

Hello!

I wanted to get an idea of why people bought a Camaro.

I bought mine because I have always loved cars, in my opinion, the Camaro being one of the best looking muscle cars. I found the Camaro to be a car that would satisfy my love for cars, and something to be proud of, rather than an attention grabber. I worked hard to achieve one of my dreams, and now I can look out the window and see the Camaro and think "wow, I made a dream come true. What else can I achieve?"

However, it seems not everyone shares that approach towards a car such as the Camaro. It seems like some people see a sports car and assume things, such as narcissism, etc. I feel that my Camaro wasn't something I bought to flaunt. I wanted to do something for my hard work, and enjoy life while I can. I'm not sure I can say exactly why I bought it, but I did not intend for it to be a "oh look what I have" kind of thing. I would consider myself a respectable person, always looking to do my best, and never trying to show off. But it seems some people might find the car to show the opposite, something I didn't really consider when buying it.

Thoughts? Why did you buy a Camaro?
PatrickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:25 PM   #2
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
I have always liked and enjoyed muscle/pony and sports cars since I was I kid; have owned several Camaros & Corvettes over the years. I was glad to see them start up the Camaro line again and really liked the looks of the then new Gen 5s. When my wife told me to go out and buy a new car to celebrate life while I was fighting my cancer, I already had a Corvette in the garage, so I went and looked at the Camaros, Challengers and Mustangs. But between the looks, handling and overall performance, as well as being a die hard Chevy guy, I just had to have the Camaro; found the exact one for me a few days latter, handed the dealer a check for the full amount and rest is history
Old 08-06-2017, 06:31 PM   #3
bkevind

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
I tend to go for interesting cars with good on track performance. I bought my used 2013 1LE because of Randy Pobst. (first vid I stumbled on). I have always been somewhat interested in the Camaro over the years but never thought of them as properly decent on track. Although, back somewhere between 89-92 I rode with a highschool buddy that had an Iroc Z, and I was amazed at the lateral grip. Hadn't experienced that before then.
bkevind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:35 PM   #4
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
I did it for the girls....just like The Camaro Show. And the commercials.

rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:37 PM   #5
bkevind

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welker2 View Post
I have always liked and enjoyed muscle/pony and sports cars since I was I kid; have owned several Camaros & Corvettes over the years. I was glad to see them start up the Camaro line again and really liked the looks of the then new Gen 5s. When my wife told me to go out and buy a new car to celebrate life while I was fighting my cancer, I already had a Corvette in the garage, so I went and looked at the Camaros, Challengers and Mustangs. But between the looks, handling and overall performance, as well as being a die hard Chevy guy, I just had to have the Camaro; found the exact one for me a few days latter, handed the dealer a check for the full amount and rest is history
Chief! Thanks for your service.
bkevind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:37 PM   #6
anth331

Drives: 12SS
When I was in high school (late 70s) My dad made me get a truck. He would always tell me, you don't need no damn camaro you need a truck Then when I was in the AF I was always flying missions around the world and didn't need a car or truck later on first marriage needed a truck So now in my fifties and owning a home I need a truck to get stuff from Lowes Home Depot etc. Now I have the funds for a camaro and my truck plus wife's car I got one and don't ever never plan to get rid of it. I'm living my childhood dream of owning a camaro now.
anth331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:54 PM   #7
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
mid 80's had a friend who's dad owned a couple mines in the area and they had some $$$$$. his dad drove an Iroc Z , black and bad azz! always wanted one but family could not afford both the car and the insurance so had to settle for a nice z-24 cavalier that every one loved but I always had a little thing for Camaros! circumstances worked against me for the next 20 years then in the late 2000's I had my finances in order and was nearing then end of paying off the Grand am I was driving at the time and was going to get something bland again when my mother of all people said I should get a camaro, guess she knew I had a thing for them and she knew the new 5th gen had just been released a few months earlier so in Febuary 2010 I started building camaro's on line and checking local car lots in a two hour driving range. on march 27th I drove home with my first 5th gen a 1LT silver model that I traded in on November the 11th 2013 for my current 2011 2SS black model with Orange accents. loved the first one and love the second one even more. it hasn't been easy affording either but they are by far the best cars I have ever owned. just amazing cars!!

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:56 PM   #8
PeteD

Drives: 2012 2SS Victory Red with white st
Have always been a Ford guy....you know how it is......You are a product of your parents.....When I was looking for my one of my last cars, I was looking at the Mustang Cobras. Wife wanted a rag top. We tried I don't know how many.....they just would not work on the prices. So we spotted a 1993 Z28 in a lot we were driving through. Decided to try it........Fell in love first pull I got into it. Not one Mustang I drove compared to it. been in love and buying them ever since. I still own it and now also own a 5th gen 2SS.

I have always loved the 1st gens. They are sexy as heck. but just way out of my price range when I was looking. So I have always loved Camaros. Just never really thought about buying any until the 93 Z28
Old 08-06-2017, 07:59 PM   #9
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
IMO the best looking pony/muscle car to come out since the early 70's

My mom bought one when I was like 19, and I fell in love with it. Then when I was 24 I bought my own.
Old 08-06-2017, 08:02 PM   #10
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
As the song says , "Just one look, that's all it took"

Old 08-06-2017, 08:26 PM   #11
Camcar

Drives: 2010 RS/SS
My oldest brother bought a '67 Camaro in 1971 for $1200. It was a 327 4speed with "Scat Track 60 Competition Profile" tires on the back. I never forgot the feeling of riding in that car. It stuck with me. Anyway, I bought an '81 Camaro in 1986 with a 305 (and a flat cam!). Not a great car. I also had a '66 GTO convertible that I drove in high school. So I'm just thrilled to be able to own an American car again with a V8, manual transmission, rear wheel drive. I've only had my 2010 for about a month, and couldn't be happier. Plus it was very cool when I showed it to my brother because it took him back in time as well. The look on his face when he first drove it was priceless!
Camcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:35 PM   #12
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
I can't afford a Lamborghini Aventador, so I went with the next best thing.
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:44 PM   #13
warnerwh

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
I've loved muscle cars all of my life. I've owned Mustang Gt's, Corvettes and am on my second Camaro. And I bought it for me and not to impress anybody else but me. I love the way muscle cars have evolved too.
warnerwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:06 PM   #14
The camaro show

Drives: 2015 camaro 2lt
Well in 2009 my parents bought back my moms 92 camaro rs 25th that she bought new and then sold it for a family car when I was born and that really got me into since we got it repainted and started doing stuff with it about the same time the 5th gems came out and I was in love with them because I loved Ben 10 and the green editions at the time all through middle school I did was look at camaros
Cosmetic mods: SS hood with painted vent, SS bumper, acs 1le front lip black, big worm gfx tinted all lights, solar wing v2, Camaro seat belt pads and oracle color shift halos and fog light halos and rear colorshift bow tie, carbon creations carbon fiber stingray z spoiler
Wheels: lexani r-3 bg finish 19x8.5
Performance: cold air inductions intake, mrt v1, jacfab ported intake manifold, intake manifold spacer, overkill tuned on E85.
The camaro show is offline   Reply With Quote