Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-19-2021, 03:32 PM   #1
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Maintenance Schedule Question

Hey Guys, I have a quick question. So I don't have the service interval for my car so I looked it up online for the 45k Service This is what it says..

So then I called my dealer that I've always taken my cars too and this is what they say is the 45k service.

So then I called another dealer in the area and they were closer to what I found online, but not exact either. So it seems if I go by what I found online I have to have them all done individual. Have any of you guys have the 45K service done and what did you have done at that time?
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 04:44 PM   #2
Fak_Ork

Drives: Silverado RST 21, 3.0, Crew, Z71
This is an easy one. Ignore their cookie cutter garbage- which may change your AT fluid or just check it, skips services you need and adds ones you don't- and just select ala carte from the list in your owners manual. Wouldn't be a bad idea to ask them up front what those exact services will cost, don't even mention their ridiculous 'recommended schedule'

Looks like you don't need to change your AT fluid unless your use falls under severe conditions, I'd take a look at that.
Fak_Ork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 04:56 PM   #3
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
the list you have posted the 2016 owners manual says that's for Severe use. Unless you track your car I would not change the auto trans fluid every 45k, maybe 100k. Everything else seems reasonable but the cost is going to be high from a dealer. I track my car so I change the manual trans fluid, rear end fluid, and change brake fluid at the start of the season. Change the oil every two track days and I do all the work myself so when you're not paying for labor it's a lot cheaper then having a stealership do it.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 05:06 PM   #4
jamala00

Ya, I change my engine oil/filter as needed. I just changed both the cabin and engine air filters, so those are not needed. I don't track my car, and don't consider my spirited driving "Severe" so then technically I don't really need to do that. I also just changed the calipers/pads/rotors so I didn't completely flush the brakes but there is a lot of new fluid in that system.

So the only thing that really is on there is the rear axle fluid. The one the dealership gave me is a bunch of "filler crap" that I don't need anyone to do for me.
Old 10-19-2021, 05:54 PM   #5
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
Ya, I change my engine oil/filter as needed. I just changed both the cabin and engine air filters, so those are not needed. I don't track my car, and don't consider my spirited driving "Severe" so then technically I don't really need to do that. I also just changed the calipers/pads/rotors so I didn't completely flush the brakes but there is a lot of new fluid in that system.

So the only thing that really is on there is the rear axle fluid. The one the dealership gave me is a bunch of "filler crap" that I don't need anyone to do for me.
If you can change your oil you can do your rear end fluid, it's real easy and if it's never been done I would do it sooner then later. I use a fluid transfer pump but a simple $5 hand pump will work.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 06:12 PM   #6
jamala00

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpevans View Post
If you can change your oil you can do your rear end fluid, it's real easy and if it's never been done I would do it sooner then later. I use a fluid transfer pump but a simple $5 hand pump will work.
Yep, I can do that too. I've done it before in my other vehicles. I've always had the luxury of doing it in my brother-in-laws shop on the hoist, but he had to sell his business due to cancer. So I'll have to look at getting a pump so I can jack it up and do it at home.
Old 10-19-2021, 07:03 PM   #7
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
I had my coolant done at 5 years just after 45k miles. I got my manual transmission fluid changed at 45k. They charged I think less than $150 for it. Definitely get your diff fluid changed. The diffs in these cars IMO aren’t the most robust. I started tracking my car so I’m glad I refreshed all the fluids basically at 5 years old. Also definitely flush the brakes. I just had it done before my first track day and the car seems to stop better just from getting new fluid.
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 11:40 AM   #8
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
In case you are not aware m6-lt1, you should use DOT4 brake fluid for track days.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...86&postcount=4

"For track events or competitive driving, it is recommended that the brake fluid be replaced with a high-performance brake fluid that has a dry boiling point greater than 279° C (543° F). After conversion to the high-performance brake fluid, follow the brake fluid service recommendations outlined by the fluid manufacturer. Do not use silicone or DOT-5 brake fluids."
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 12:08 PM   #9
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Most everyone's street use falls in to the severe category, it doesn't mean track use or anything of the sort.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 12:39 PM   #10
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
In case you are not aware m6-lt1, you should use DOT4 brake fluid for track days.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...86&postcount=4

"For track events or competitive driving, it is recommended that the brake fluid be replaced with a high-performance brake fluid that has a dry boiling point greater than 279° C (543° F). After conversion to the high-performance brake fluid, follow the brake fluid service recommendations outlined by the fluid manufacturer. Do not use silicone or DOT-5 brake fluids."
Yep I did dot 4.
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 01:24 PM   #11
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMale View Post
Most everyone's street use falls in to the severe category, it doesn't mean track use or anything of the sort.
Here's the difference according to the 2017 manual page 336:

The Additional Required Services Normal are for vehicles that:
Carry passengers and cargo within recommended limits on the Tire and Loading Information label. See Vehicle Load Limits 0 212.
Are driven on reasonable road surfaces within legal driving limits.
Use the recommended fuel. See Fuel 0 250.
Refer to the information in the Maintenance Schedule Additional Required Services -Normal chart.

The Additional Required Services Severe are for vehicles that are:
Mainly driven in heavy city traffic in hot weather.
Mainly driven in hilly or mountainous terrain.
Used for high speed or competitive driving.
Used for taxi, police, or delivery service.
cdrptrks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 01:40 PM   #12
jamala00

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrptrks View Post
Here's the difference according to the 2017 manual page 336:

The Additional Required Services Normal are for vehicles that:
Carry passengers and cargo within recommended limits on the Tire and Loading Information label. See Vehicle Load Limits 0 212.
Are driven on reasonable road surfaces within legal driving limits.
Use the recommended fuel. See Fuel 0 250.
Refer to the information in the Maintenance Schedule Additional Required Services -Normal chart.

The Additional Required Services Severe are for vehicles that are:
Mainly driven in heavy city traffic in hot weather.
Mainly driven in hilly or mountainous terrain.
Used for high speed or competitive driving.
Used for taxi, police, or delivery service.
That "Used for high speed or competitive driving" is kind of a wide open scenario. Sure I drive my car spirited, which can mean short bursts of high speed, but it certainly is not the same as competitive driving. I think I would fall into the "Normal" chart.