Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-28-2018, 08:39 AM   #1
stlrammer

Drives: 2017 1SS Blue
I4Ts - Premium or Regular?

What are folks running in their I4Ts?
Old 01-28-2018, 09:17 AM   #2
b0bsaget007

Drives: 2016 2LT RS Blue Velvet
Premium only, nothing less. It's already knock city, even with the stock tune.

PC: i5-6600; RX 480 4GB; 16GB DDR4; Samsung 950 PRO 512GB SSD
Car: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS 2.0T 6M Blue Velvet Metallic | ZZP Hi-Flow Catted Downpipe | Injen EVO7300 Cold Air Intake
b0bsaget007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:27 AM   #3
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by b0bsaget007 View Post
Premium only, nothing less. It's already knock city, even with the stock tune.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 12:12 PM   #4
rorymick

Drives: 2016 Camaro RS 1LT 2.0L Turbo
Threads like this are a waste of internet space.

Figured I may as well edit this to provide a reason why this thread is a waste of time.

It states in the owners manual what fuel grade to use with these engines. Simple as that. Also a quick search on the forums or online will provide the answer, as it's been asked many times.

The higher the octane (pump gas) the happier and safer a forced induction engine is.

Last edited by rorymick; 01-28-2018 at 12:23 PM.
rorymick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:01 PM   #5
6th_gen_gino

Drives: 2016 camaro 2.0t gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorymick View Post
Threads like this are a waste of internet space.

Figured I may as well edit this to provide a reason why this thread is a waste of time.

It states in the owners manual what fuel grade to use with these engines. Simple as that. Also a quick search on the forums or online will provide the answer, as it's been asked many times.

The higher the octane (pump gas) the happier and safer a forced induction engine is.
Ain't nothing to get worked up over but I do agree, u can run regular gas if u want a blown motor tho
6th_gen_gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:13 PM   #6
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
From they owners manual.

Last edited by motorhead; 07-24-2018 at 11:41 PM.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:17 PM   #7
motorhead

And quite honestly, I can't see no benifit to buying a 2.0T when the V6 is available and it
Runs on 87 with a lot less components to fail
Old 01-28-2018, 04:47 PM   #8
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
And quite honestly, I can't see no benifit to buying a 2.0T when the V6 is available and it
Runs on 87 with a lot less components to fail
Bahaha you run your 3.6 V6 with 87 and then run a few tanks of premium and you'll say differently.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Old 01-28-2018, 05:04 PM   #9
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
Bahaha you run your 3.6 V6 with 87 and then run a few tanks of premium and you'll say differently.
Well, explain what you mean. Im not getting it. The V6 makes its rated power on 87 and it MPGs are based on that too. Many have tested both and found the V6 profoundly better in every way. Running premium in a stock V6 would be nothing more than a waste of money where its required in the 2.0T to still be the lessor performer. Like I said I see no reason for GM to offer that motor. Real world tests are even showing the MPGs to be equal to the V6.

Here's a good read for you. https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...al-test-review
Old 01-28-2018, 05:17 PM   #10
6th_gen_gino

Quote:
Well, explain what you mean. Im not getting it. The V6 makes its rated power on 87 and it MPGs are based on that too. Many have tested both and found the V6 profoundly better in every way. Running premium in a stock V6 would be nothing more than a waste of money where its required in the 2.0T to still be the lessor performer. Like I said I see no reason for GM to offer that motor. Real world tests are even showing the MPGs to be equal to the V6.

Here's a good read for you. https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...al-test-review
I partially see your point of view. From the average consumers standpoint, with mpg in mind, get the v6. On the other hand from a performance stand point the 4 banger trashes the v6, mod for mod.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:30 PM   #11
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6th_gen_gino View Post
I partially see your point of view. From the average consumers standpoint, with mpg in mind, get the v6. On the other hand from a performance stand point the 4 banger trashes the v6, mod for mod.
Well, I can see that I guess. So GM had modding in mind when they decided to offer this motor? For me, If Im going for performance Im buying a V8 so I guess that's why I didnt think of that angle.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:57 PM   #12
6th_gen_gino

Quote:
Well, I can see that I guess. So GM had modding in mind when they decided to offer this motor? For me, If Im going for performance Im buying a V8 so I guess that's why I didnt think of that angle.
At that given time when I bought my Camaro I could not afford the payment of an SS but I also knew the 2.0t had potential. Fast forward 2 years later I run with scat pacs chargers, 5.0's and Camaro SS, while still getting better fuel economy. Seems like a good outcome from what seemed like a huge compromise
Old 01-28-2018, 06:02 PM   #13
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6th_gen_gino View Post
At that given time when I bought my Camaro I could not afford the payment of an SS but I also knew the 2.0t had potential. Fast forward 2 years later I run with scat pacs chargers, 5.0's and Camaro SS, while still getting better fuel economy. Seems like a good outcome from what seemed like a huge compromise
I understand that angle and can appreciate it. I just didnt think if it because I do things a little differently. I've been seening what some of you guys have been doing those little motors ,and that's cool. If it allows you the means to get in the game that's awesome.

My post was simply of the view looking of both motor being stock. Thanks for clearing it up
Old 01-28-2018, 06:58 PM   #14
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Stock for stock the LGX V6 has more Crank HP but the 2.0T has more TQ. Dyno numbers are showing the same scenario at the wheels for the most point. As far as fueling goes I'm not an expert on these new LGX engines nor was i a 3.6L expert before i owned a 3.6L LLT V6 Camaro for 4 yrs. The first year i ran that regular 87 pump gas not thinking anything of it. Then it was suggested by the shop i used to try 93 to eliminate some of the knock retard and they said it may or may not get .5 to 1 MPG Improvement it overall after about 2 tanks the car felt immensely more smooth and seemed to run that way in the colder temps in new england with the 93 pump gas. Others experienced the same thing in the LFX so i have no reason to believe the LGX is any different the LGX is still from that same line of 3.6L V6 engines. For the money if your keeping it stock you have 2 questions and MPG doesn't mean jack shit between the 2 engines they get about the same with typical daily driver spirited driving we're not using the driving miss daisy garage queen numbers here. So it comes down to do you like N/A or do you like FI or do you want more torque or more HP stock for stock. It's already pretty well proven as soon as you mod the 2.0T and 3.6 LGX that the turbo outgrows the V6 incredibly quickly in both HP and TQ until you spend $7k on a V6 FI kit. At which point i could upgrade the turbo and surpass you again at less money still. But as you stated stock for stock you just need to buy what suits your preferences i couldn't afford the SS myself i knew I'd be modding not keeping it stock and knew firsthand the V6 limitations before spending insane money adding FI so i made a well educated decision for my needs and expectations. To use GM rated MPG as your buying point is just a stupid reason if you drove the V6 and 2.0T on a highway for a tank on either comparison premium to V6 regular or both premium the 2.0T will likely outlast it by about a 100mi.