Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-23-2014, 11:00 PM   #15
SamHouseIII
I Carry!

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
well I'll add to the pot on an electrical issue..

Aftermarket Technostalgia lights, AAC sidemarkers, some short 4 LED strips under the hood and over the exhaust and a interrupt switch between the fuse and exhaust flapper (not drawing power)....

battery died from sitting, wife couldn't jump using the jumper station I had with the underhood points, had her try the battery directly, didn't work, had her put charger on battery (cables still hooked), charged it during day and over night...didn't start, had her remove cable from battery and charge it....then started. No reports of any messages?

She drives it a few days and it sits again...2 more months...I return, battery is dead, I do the same thing she did it starts...I drive it and see that I have a Service Stabil Track message on the dash and notice no sport or tour lights lit...PTM modes still work as does the Stability track....I check owners manual, says take it in. I take it in and dealer had to contact GM Hq and reflash Shock ECM and replaced battery (battery did test good) and installed a battery tender...

I have not driven the car since I took it to the dealer in Nov 13, so I do not know if there are any messages reported, my wife has driven it since then and no reports from her.

From Oklahoma, Join us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/okcamaros/

SamHouseIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:03 PM   #16
Modern07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2019 ZL1 on Order
I've had the PS issue come up on mine, and I've also come out to a completely dead battery - I always have it on a battery tender now.

However, that being said, I always assumed the battery issue was caused by the Technostalgia rear LED lights I'm running as they are known to cause a battery drain on some cars.

The PS issue though, no idea....turned the car off, sat it for 10 minutes and the problem cleared and has not come back in 10,000 miles...
Old 03-23-2014, 11:07 PM   #17
SamHouseIII
I Carry!

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modern07 View Post
I've had the PS issue come up on mine, and I've also come out to a completely dead battery - I always have it on a battery tender now.

However, that being said, I always assumed the battery issue was caused by the Technostalgia rear LED lights I'm running as they are known to cause a battery drain on some cars.

The PS issue though, no idea....turned the car off, sat it for 10 minutes and the problem cleared and has not come back in 10,000 miles...

From Oklahoma, Join us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/okcamaros/

SamHouseIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:54 PM   #18
thespymaster

Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
What kills me is you can never get an answer at the dealer of what they really did. Can't even talk to the guy who diagnosed your car. Just a service writer who normally doesn't have a clue.

I couldn't even find out if the new Super Charger they installed on my car had a solid isolator or not. Found out later that it did in fact have a solid one.

My car sat for a couple weeks when this PS problem came up and they mentioned low voltage code. But the battery has always been good and I've never had a problem since. Did they actually do something? Who knows???
I will post codes , etc later... But you have to ask for them and 99.99% time GM techs are not allowed to PRINT them out. So what I did is take pics of the codes on the screen he was showing me with this PCM switch they did last week

Again it's my belief that GM knows what's gong on and the remedy is a costly one and better to say just isolated case, but it's obvious now that is wide spread !
2015 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4
2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD 4x4
thespymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:37 AM   #19
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespymaster View Post
I will post codes , etc later... But you have to ask for them and 99.99% time GM techs are not allowed to PRINT them out. So what I did is take pics of the codes on the screen he was showing me with this PCM switch they did last week

Again it's my belief that GM knows what's gong on and the remedy is a costly one and better to say just isolated case, but it's obvious now that is wide spread !
If I said this didn't make me nervous, I'd be lying. I'm planning on buying this car in a month or so, the last thing I want to worry about is having an electrical problem. Should we start a poll on here to see how many people have this problem compared to how many do not?
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:04 AM   #20
danvillekidd
2013 ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 m6
I will throw mine in for a numbers comparison. Bought used 17 Jun 2013 with 4063 miles. Oct put on Technostalia rear LED lights. As of Sat Mar 22 I rolled over 18000 miles. I think the most mine has ever sat is one week and that was in Dec. I have NOT had any ps problems so far. VIN 3819
Edit: the taillights are the only electrical/performance mod so far. Blacked out bowties and rock guards would have zero effect on anything.
The only issue I have that could fall under electrical is the hud fading in and out.

Last edited by danvillekidd; 03-24-2014 at 10:53 AM.
danvillekidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:25 AM   #21
CAM....ZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1
2012 #561. I have 12,000 mi. on the (BEAST). It has been modified
and tuned for several thousand miles. I have not changed the lighting
and have not put it on a tenderer. The car has sat for a month at a time without being started, and the(BEAST) fires up every time I ask it to.
All it does is run like a bat out of hell. The only problem I have is keeping
her ass straight and tires on it.
CAM....ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:28 AM   #22
ZL12013

Drives: 2013 ZL1 & 2005 F150
If someone knows how to make a poll it would be interesting to see how many cars have had problems, and if they do, how many had engine mods compared to those with out.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:45 AM   #23
Highland Ranger

Drives: 2014 CRT Convertible ZL1
Or mods of any kind. I'd be interested to see how many bone stock cars have had this problem. Also, I thought in another thread this was diagnosed as a ground wire issue?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Highland Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:52 AM   #24
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2doorrocket View Post
Mine is a joke, it's been blowing it's dipstick out since 600 miles and I've had 5 oil changes so far because of it and no dealer has been able to help me fix it. Now Its surging between 1500-2000 rpm... New issue, might be bad plugs, and throttle body. It randomly changes gears and freaks out.
Sounds like a cracked ring land. How much boost were you running?
Old 03-24-2014, 07:54 AM   #25
v8

Drives: 19 Z06
Quote:
What kills me is you can never get an answer at the dealer of what they really did. Can't even talk to the guy who diagnosed your car. Just a service writer who normally doesn't have a clue.

I couldn't even find out if the new Super Charger they installed on my car had a solid isolator or not. Found out later that it did in fact have a solid one.

My car sat for a couple weeks when this PS problem came up and they mentioned low voltage code. But the battery has always been good and I've never had a problem since. Did they actually do something? Who knows???
Hey Mlee,
did you get a factory supercharger put on under warranty or an aftermarket one? Reason I'm asking is I'm wondering if GM changed to the solid isolator on the supercharges instead of the factory ones that have the spring.

Thanks
2009 Mustang GT convertible
2012 45th 2SS Vert
2013 ZL1 M6
2014 Zl1 M6
2014 GT500
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6

www.youtube.com/c/garageking

v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:59 AM   #26
ZO6 Bryan

Quote:

Really? It has a solid isolator now? Wonder when Eaton made the switch. So did you pull the snout off later and find it was solid. You think they've changed it for the 2014 cars.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:07 AM   #27
v8

Drives: 19 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6 Bryan View Post
Really? It has a solid isolator now? Wonder when Eaton made the switch. So did you pull the snout off later and find it was solid. You think they've changed it for the 2014 cars.
Thats what I'm wondering. Was going to get a solid coupler, but now I'm wondering if the car has one? I know my 14 sounds quieter than my 13 did. My 13 had the supercharger rattle. My 14 I can;t hear anything, maybe its too new. I don't know but I'm curious.
2009 Mustang GT convertible
2012 45th 2SS Vert
2013 ZL1 M6
2014 Zl1 M6
2014 GT500
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6

www.youtube.com/c/garageking

v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:07 AM   #28
ZO6 Bryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespymaster View Post

My dealer will always give me the codes and let me know exactly what they are doing. If I ran into a dealer that wouldn't allow me to know exactly what they are doing, I sure as hell wouldn't let them touch my cars.