Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 12-28-2012, 10:52 AM   #1
stlrammer

Drives: 2017 1SS Blue
Squeaking Front Brake

I have 21,000 miles on my 2010 SS and the passenger side front break is having an intermittent squeak at stop signs/lights when brake applied. It happens about 20% of the time. The car has been babied. Could I need breaks already? Other than oil changes it hasn’t been in for service. She just turned 3 years old.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #2
beany323

Drives: Camaro 2SS /RS/1LE
if i am not mistaken that is a indicator on the brake pads .. (squealer indicator) that your pads need to be replaced soon. and yes. my son got a new civic and he had a similar problem/noise. He took it in and the brakes were under warranty. i told him brakes tend not to be a warrienty problem. he had less then, 15000 miles on the brakes and he was at like 10k mileage. so they replaced the fronts only.

long story short. take them in to be checked. i use to tell my mechanics in the Marines, i dont care if the heater doesnt work, but the brakes better work!

/gl
beany323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:11 AM   #3
sstnt

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS!
I have 26k on mine...I get a squeak now and then, the Brembos will do that. Take it in if you want...but to somebody you TRUST, because they may try to sell you pads even if you don't need them. Or get a 2nd opinion from somewhere. I really doubt if it's been babied and you only have 21k on it, you need new pads already.
$$ down on dealer car #3466, pending Pw: 6-10-2009
Car Picked up by Shipper: 6-22-2009
Car has ARRIVED: 6-24-2009 (and she's a beauty!)
sstnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:11 AM   #4
Sikoriko

Drives: 2011 V6 IOM
Time to go to ceramic pads. And clean up your rotors, or just lube the metal to metal parts with a nickel free anti seeze.
Sikoriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:14 AM   #5
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Could need new pads. It depends. Usually squeal indicators will make an annoying noise as the wheels are moving once the pads wear down enough. It could be that your pads are starting to go and that's why it does it only when pressure is applied. If that is the case it will get worse as time goes by. Otherwise it could be from excess brake dust and the high performance pads on the SS, but I would think you would have noticed that before now. It wouldn't hurt to pull the wheel and peak at the top of the caliper to see how worn they are.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:18 AM   #6
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrammer View Post
I have 21,000 miles on my 2010 SS and the passenger side front break is having an intermittent squeak at stop signs/lights when brake applied. It happens about 20% of the time. The car has been babied. Could I need breaks already? Other than oil changes it hasn’t been in for service. She just turned 3 years old.
Squeaky brakes are common on the SS. 20% of the time is not that much. 21,000 babied miles. (Is that a baby burn out in your sig)? I really doubt you need brakes. My brakes make a little squeaking noise sometimes. Usually after its been a while since I washed it. After I take it to the car wash and give my wheels a good spray, rinse with water to get off all the brake dust inside and outside the wheel. The squeak goes away.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:18 AM   #7
smarbrit

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS IOM
My brakes squeak as well, usually when I first get going in the mornings. I've only got 13,000 kms (8000 miles) on mine. I've had my car in for service plus installed winter tires at the dealer and they've noted the brakes are fine.
smarbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:20 AM   #8
koolcamaro
Impossible=only a opinion

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikoriko View Post
Time to go to ceramic pads. And clean up your rotors, or just lube the metal to metal parts with a nickel free anti seeze.
koolcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:47 AM   #9
a.morblu

Drives: 2011 Sinister SS
My brembos started squeaking at 3k miles. When I painted my calipers at 6k I checked the pads and they were like new. Unfortunately it's common. Lube and go like stated above.