The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 08-24-2011, 06:49 PM   #1
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
Thumbs down Don't Worry, Blu-Ray 'Phantom Menace' Made Sure To Computer Generate Yoda

Compare the New CGI Yoda in ‘The Phantom Menace’ With the Original Version

Quote:
We’re so far beyond the point where complaining about George Lucas making changes to Star Wars is actually an expression of surprise or outrage. It’s just a ritual. We expect him to change things around every time the films hit a new format, so much so that I think there would be more genuine surprise expressed if the saga hit Blu-ray and didn’t feature any new alterations.

Not to worry however, as the films are hitting Blu-ray soon and changes have indeed been made. Perhaps not as many as we thought might have been the case yesterday, but there is at least one big one: the version of Yoda puppeted by Frank Oz in The Phantom Menace has been replaced with a fully CGI character. You can see side by side clips of the old and new versions below.

This isn’t the first time we’ve seen CGI Yoda in The Phantom Menace, as the special edition DVD of Revenge of the Sith featured a 15-minute documentary called ‘The Chosen One’ in which this digital Yoda made his debut. Seen in that doc is a much shorter clip of this same scene, but this is a longer, better look. And for those who never saw that doc, it’s a good first taste of the digital version. I can’t say the new Yoda looks bad, but they really ditched a lot of the physical characteristics of the puppet.
Original:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=xHa3D-musUw

Blu-ray:

SOURCE
Old 08-24-2011, 08:29 PM   #2
TIE FIGHTR
Cousin of Foo

Drives: 2010 2LT RS BLACK/BEIGE
Yes but does he digitally remove Jar Jar Binks from the whole series to make up for it?

'I wish I was the full moon shining off a Camaro's hood' ~ Pearl Jam Wishlist
TIE FIGHTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:44 PM   #3
DietCoke
Slow Turtle

Drives: 2011 1SS
Send a message via AIM to DietCoke
New yoda looks way better.
DietCoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:48 PM   #4
WadeWilson
How U Doin?

Drives: 2014 CTS-V Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIE FIGHTR View Post
Yes but does he digitally remove Jar Jar Binks from the whole series to make up for it?
WadeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:12 PM   #5
maroman1138

Drives: 2011 SS/RS LS3
I hope he replaced the AT-ATs start-stop movement animation with CGI in Empire. He should really re-do all the originals special effects with CGI replacement. I know he did some but he should do all. And I agree, get rid of Jar-Jar all together. "Mesa stupid!"
2011 1SS/RS LS3 - Stage II Ported Heads, Stage II Comp Cam, Ported T.B., Hurst Shifter - 0BX LT Headers - CAT delete, Pype Bomb Axle-Back Exhaust - Muffler delete - 4.5 Resonated tips, Spectre CAI, - 480 RWHP 442 TRQ. Dyno tuned by ARD.
maroman1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:15 PM   #6
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
he tweaks things every few years just enough to get all the fan boys to rebuy all the movies $$$$$$$
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:37 PM   #7
brandotron
I am the internets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIE FIGHTR View Post
He should digitally replace Jar Jar with ED-209

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndgenz28 View Post
he tweaks things every few years just enough to get all the fan boys to rebuy all the movies $$$$$$$
That's the plan
Old 08-24-2011, 10:39 PM   #8
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
I don't agree with changing Yoda to cgi. Some thought he didn't look right in TPM, but to me he looked fine.
As to other changes...he's not the only director that has done that kind of stuff. It's just his movies are so fanatically loved. Hell most of the changes in A New Hope were simply replacing bad FX shots, or expanding Mos Eisley.
Cool that there are finally so many deleted scenes on the new discs, some i had never heard of . if only i had blu ray
Old 08-24-2011, 11:42 PM   #9
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
In new hope they still need to fix that awful mattin job with obvious black squares where tifighters were cut in. Looks awful on a good tv.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:54 PM   #10
brandotron
I am the internets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCamaroFan View Post
I don't agree with changing Yoda to cgi. Some thought he didn't look right in TPM, but to me he looked fine.
As to other changes...he's not the only director that has done that kind of stuff. It's just his movies are so fanatically loved. Hell most of the changes in A New Hope were simply replacing bad FX shots, or expanding Mos Eisley.
Cool that there are finally so many deleted scenes on the new discs, some i had never heard of . if only i had blu ray
It's pretty affordable nowadays, man. You should check it out. I got a refub Toshiba from bestbuy.com for $80. Check around on Black Friday too.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:34 AM   #11
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

But when does the new format come out?

THey won't let blueray get as cheap as DVD players [$30 new] without coming up wit ha new $300 machine you need to buy too.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:51 AM   #12
robsls3
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 camaro 1SS
Last I seen it was Sept for the Blue ray format.

I will say this we finally get all the deleted scenes from the first 3. The Sandstorm and the hoth wampa room.
robsls3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:09 AM   #13
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
yeah, a few i hadn't heard of too. all the extras are ones that weren't on the other dvd's, so have to keep them.
i was thinking of buying PS3 for bluray, they just dropped it to $250, but i need a new computer soon too
Old 08-25-2011, 11:14 AM   #14
Switchin2Chevy

Drives: Currently 2015 Mustang GT manual.
the blu-rays hit on the 16th of next month. I've got it pre-ordered.!
Switchin2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote