Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 05-19-2015, 08:59 PM   #1
jksynergy

Drives: 11 SW SYNERGY SERIES/14 1SS 1LE
Road course with the G2's help

Ok have a question. We will be running our first road course event in the 1LE next weekend. I'm running the G2's as that is what I have and have a full set of spares in the basement once these are toast. What I need to know is an idea on starting tire pressures and what to watch for. I've autocrossed all last year and so far 60 runs this year on the G2's so I'm good with setting and working pressures for that. I just want to be sure I don't go the wrong direction with pressures for a road course. Thinking temps to be mid 70's come race day. Any help other than get some other tires will be great. Another set is not in the budget this year. Thanks in advance. I can give my alignment specs should that be needed also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 1SS 1LE. Bama, sporting Red Rock Metallic demon's horns, when we are ready to get naughty and open a can of whoopass! Airaid, Spectre, Xpel,Bowler shifter Peddars, UMI, Ult Perf. Diode Dynamics, JRE Tune, XS Power battery,
Hooker Headers Blackheart exhaust,Powerbrake
InstaGram & Twitter: @jlouie62
FB: hangtimeracing
jksynergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:17 AM   #2
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
You should not go below 26 PSI, since these are heavy cars and we need a good amount of pressure just to support the sidewalls at high speeds.

I would set the tires to 28 PSI got the first outing. Once you get the feel of your balance, etc., you can then choose to change pressures a little bit to remedy any issue. Setting the perfect pressures is very tedious, and requires hot pit stops, which I hate, not to mention a pyrometer to take temp measurements from outer, inner, middle of the tire, take notes, etc. That all said, you would probably be happy if you left the tires at 28 PSI (cold) for the whole day.
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 05:40 AM   #3
summit1le

Drives: 15 Lexus RCF, 17 Vette Grand Sport
28 is what I start with
2013 Summit 1SS 1LE w/NPP, SW 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers, CAI Intake, Ported TB, Cammotion 224/232 113 LSA, BTR Valvetrain, Melling Oil Pump, 468 HP 423, Apex Catch Can, Tank Plates, RPM 4 Point Roll Bar with SCCA/NASA Cross Brace, Schroth 6 Point Han's Harness, OMP WRC Front Seats, F.M.T Trailing Arms, F.M.T Solid Aluminum Subframe Bushings, Moreno Motorsports Camber Plates, BMR Bushings Front and Rear, Essex/AP Racing Radi-Cal Endurance Front Brakes, Quantum Brake Cooling Ducts, ZL1 Rockers, ZL1 Air Deflectors, Heritage Grill, Pfadt Springs.
summit1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:34 AM   #4
jksynergy

Drives: 11 SW SYNERGY SERIES/14 1SS 1LE
Thanks guys. We'll set them there and see how it goes. Appreciate the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 1SS 1LE. Bama, sporting Red Rock Metallic demon's horns, when we are ready to get naughty and open a can of whoopass! Airaid, Spectre, Xpel,Bowler shifter Peddars, UMI, Ult Perf. Diode Dynamics, JRE Tune, XS Power battery,
Hooker Headers Blackheart exhaust,Powerbrake
InstaGram & Twitter: @jlouie62
FB: hangtimeracing
jksynergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 08:00 AM   #5
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
I've noticed better tire wear and less sidewall flex with the G2 running about 36-37 hot which is about 31-32 cold IIRC.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:27 PM   #6
EarlyApex

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS 1LE
I start at 31 psi cold before I head to the track. After the first session (in the morning so usually the coolest of the day) I check the hot pressure and the little indicator on the sidewall to see if I am using the whole tire or not. Too much pressure and you will not see the scrub area on the sidewall reaching the indicator. Too little pressure and the scrub area will be past the mark. If I had a pyrometer I would check the temps across the tire but that is an item for future purchase. My home track tends to be harder on the left side tires than the right so based on the observations I might adjust the pressures to balance the contact patch right to left and front to back. When checking the cold pressures the next day the right side usually will be higher even though the hot pressures were even during the track runs.

Another good idea is to check the lug nut torque after each session, I do it right after the pressure check, as it can change do to the large temperature changes from cold to track temps.