The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 10-27-2009, 10:32 AM   #1
Dan3
Captain of the Failboat

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS
Formal High-perfomance Education?

I would be using this information on my Camaro, so its kinda Camaro related...

We have a lot of people with a wealth of knowledge on here, so I thought the community might know.

Are there any reputable national colleges/technical institutes that offer certification/degrees in High-performance Automotive? I know most people learn on the job, but I'm getting out of the military very soon and figure that if the GI Bill will cover it, I might as well get the paper to say I know it.

I'm looking for something that covers sport tuning, s/c and t/c install and operation, performance modding, etc.
I have basic knowledge and experience to build from, would just be nice to get a formal education and the paper to say I know it, versus spending a few years at Bob's Garage figuring it out.

All my interwebs searching turned up was Lincoln College and ATI; both are short on info, long on personal information requests, and hard to get hold of anyone other than the switchboard operator.

Figure this will get moved to general Auto, just wanted to put it in a higher traffic area to start. Thanks for any info yall have.
Produced - 10 August 2009 : #34143
Delivered - 25 August 2009
Dan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:21 AM   #2
guydon

Drives: 2010 Black SS
These are rated top ten from Edmunds...
  1. University of Michigan, Michigan State University and Michigan Technological University: It's a toss-up as to whether Michigan, Michigan State or Michigan Tech will produce the best automotive engineers in the future. Alumni from all three can be found at most automotive-related companies. Potential students will have to decide which best fits their needs, but any of these three have to be considered a top choice.
  2. Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI) : Purdue has long produced top engineers for Detroit and its suppliers. IUPUI boasts a motorsports engineering program. Ryan Newman, one of the very few NASCAR drivers who graduated from college, holds an engineering degree from Purdue.
  3. Cornell University: The Ithaca, New York, institution is not a traditional automotive school, but any university that has eight FSAE championships to its credit has to be on this list. In addition, Cornell is one of the few colleges to enter both the Automotive X Prize competition and the DARPA driverless vehicle event.
  4. Kettering University: Despite having fewer than 3,000 students, Kettering University produces far more than its share of industry personnel. Located in Flint, Michigan, the school formerly known as General Motors Institute offers degrees in management as well as engineering.
  5. University of Texas at Austin, University of Texas at Arlington and Texas A&M University: At least as heated as the debate among Michigan-based schools is that involving UT Austin, UT Arlington and Texas A&M. The three have combined for more than a dozen wins in FSAE, FSAE West and FSAE Japan competition, so you'll have to make your own choice among them.
  6. Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University: Virginia Tech regularly produces a competitive FSAE team — it has one championship — and scored a 3rd-place finish in the 2007 DARPA competition. Also, its campus is close to the center of the U.S. racing industry in North Carolina. In addition, I've personally worked with several Hokie engineers who are some of the best drivers you've never heard of.
  7. University of California, Davis: It was a challenge to pick from among Cal Davis, Cal Berkeley, Stanford and Cal Tech, as all have programs that seek to find the future of personal transportation. Most enter more than one of the touchstone competitions. However, our experts said Cal Davis students typically possessed more practical experience.
  8. California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo and California Polytechnic State University, Pomona: Cal Poly San Luis Obispo and Cal Poly Pomona also have programs that are worthy of consideration. The former's College of Engineering has produced a winning Supermileage team. The latter has placed in the prestigious Formula SAE Collegiate Design Series.
  9. Clemson University: By itself, the Clemson University International Center for Automotive Research (CU-ICAR) would make Clemson a contender for this list. In addition, the South Carolina school has a strong vehicle dynamics program and is located within 160 miles of almost every NASCAR shop.
  10. Georgia Institute of Technology: Based in the middle of booming Atlanta, Georgia Tech has long been an automotive powerhouse with a strong FSAE team. In addition it has a respected design school. Not insignificantly, its mascot is a 1930 Ford Model A Sports coupe.
Then there is also WYO tech, UTI, and if you are staying in NC, there are a lot of little schools that do performance hot rod building and so on. By the way GI bill will cover a lot more than it used to. The new GI bill came out in Aug and it hooks you up, if you are a full time student, on campus!

Good luck, and congrats on getting your DD214!!!!!
guydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:25 AM   #3
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Try this....

http://www.uti.edu/Home/NascarTech/t...8/Default.aspx
Old 10-27-2009, 12:11 PM   #4
Dan3
Captain of the Failboat

Shoulda thought of checking Edmunds... Thanks. What did you put in your internet search?
My searches arent specific enough, I keep getting flooded with hits on degrees in automotive, but very few in performace engineering.

SlingShot: I did check into that, but I was after a wider option range than the NASCAR program appears to offer.

Thanks for the info.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:15 PM   #5
Dan3
Captain of the Failboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by guydon View Post
...and if you are staying in NC, there are a lot of little schools that do performance hot rod building and so on...
How do I find them? My interwebs skills are having a bad day.

My wife makes damn good money here, it would be great if I didn't need to relocate.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:33 PM   #6
Robin Lawrence

Drives: 2010 Camaro 69 Nova
I have been fortunate enough to know Judson and Linda Massigill who run

SAM School of Automotive Machinists.

There are a lot of smart cats that have come out of the SAM program.

http://www.samracing.com/

Robin

Robin Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:01 PM   #7
guydon

Here are a few in NC
North Carolina NATEF Certified Mechanic Schools
NATEF (National Automotive Technicians Education Foundation) is an independent organization whose mission is to evaluate automotive technician programs against those standards developed by the US automotive industry and recommend those programs in North Carolina which qualify for certification (accreditation) by ASE, the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence.
North Carolina NATEF Certified Diesel Mechanic Schools
NATEF is a not-for-profit organization that evaluates diesel technician training programs in North Carolina against those standards developed by the US diesel industry and recommend those programs which qualify for certification (accreditation) by ASE, the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence.
North Carolina NATEF Certified Collision Repair / Autobody Technician Schools
National Automotive Technicians Education Foundation is an organization that evaluates collision repair programs and autobody refinishing programs in North Carolina against those standards developed by the US automotive industry and recommend those qualifying programs for accreditation by ASE.
North Carolina AYES Affiliated Mechanic Schools
Automotive Youth Educational Systems (AYES) is a partnership incorporating participating automotive manufacturers, dealers, and selected high schools & tech prep schools in North Carolina This partnership designed to encourage young people to consider careers in retail automotive service, and get them ready for entry-level career positions or further studies in automotive technology.
North Carolina Ford ASSET Participating Mechanic Schools
The Ford ASSET program provides its students with on-the-job training at a Ford or Lincoln Mercury dealership in North Carolina and,at the same time, earns them an Associates Degree in Automotive Technology at a local, participating community school.
North Carolina GM ASEP Participating Mechanic Schools
GM Automotive Service Educational Program (ASEP) allows GM dealerships and TSS ISCs to participate in programs that bring students together with their dealerships and service centers in GM ASEP incorporates advanced automotive technical training with a strong academic foundation of math, reading, and electronics, in both analytical and technical skills.
North Carolina BMW STEP Program Participating Schools
The STEP program at BMW is designed with the purpose of developing a high quality service technician force, to be employed at one of the many BMW centers in North Carolina or elsewhere in North America.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:05 PM   #8
guydon

Here are a bunch of trade schools in NC

School City enrollment
Alamance Community CollegeLocation:Graham, NCEnrollment:3,925Open Admission:yesTuition:$1,294Full school details

Graham, NC3925[+/-] Asheville Buncombe Technical Community CollegeLocation:Asheville, NCEnrollment:6,408Open Admission:yesTuition:$1,039Full school details

Asheville, NC6408[+/-] Beaufort County Community CollegeLocation:Washington, NCEnrollment:1,476Open Admission:yesTuition:$1,408Full school details

Washington, NC1476[+/-] Blue Ridge Community CollegeLocation:Flat Rock, NCEnrollment:1,968Open Admission:yesTuition:$1,379Full school details

Flat Rock, NC1968[+/-] Caldwell Community College and Technical InstituteLocation:Hudson, NCEnrollment:3,728Open Admission:yesTuition:$1,376Full school details

Hudson, NC3728[+/-] Cape Fear Community CollegeLocation:Wilmington, NCEnrollment:7,570Open Admission:yesTuition:$1,414Full school details

Wilmington, NC7570[+/-] Catawba Valley Community CollegeLocation:Hickory, NCEnrollment:4,765Open Admission:yesTuition:$1,378Full school details

Hickory, NC4765[+/-] Central Carolina Community CollegeLocation:Sanford, NCEnrollment:4,603Open Admission:yesTuition:$1,253Full school details

Sanford, NC4603[+/-] Central Piedmont Community CollegeLocation:Charlotte, NCEnrollment:18,052Open Admission:yesTuition:$1,524Full school details

Charlotte, NC18052[+/-] Coastal Carolina Community CollegeLocation:Jacksonville, NCEnrollment:4,349Open Admission:yesTuition:$1,374Full school details

Jacksonville, NC4349[+/-] College of the AlbemarleLocation:Elizabeth City, NCEnrollment:2,117Open Admission:yesTuition:$1,414Full school details

Elizabeth City, NC2117[+/-] Craven Community CollegeLocation:New Bern, NCEnrollment:3,032Open Admission:yesTuition:$1,078Full school details

New Bern, NC3032[+/-] Davidson County Community CollegeLocation:Thomasville, NCEnrollment:3,399Open Admission:yesTuition:$1,090Full school details

Thomasville, NC3399[+/-] Durham Technical Community CollegeLocationurham, NCEnrollment:5,170Open Admission:yesTuition:$1,484Full school details

Durham, NC5170[+/-] Fayetteville Technical Community CollegeLocation:Fayetteville, NCEnrollment:9,063Open Admission:yesTuition:$1,464Full school details

Fayetteville, NC9063[+/-] Forsyth Technical Community CollegeLocation:Winston Salem, NCEnrollment:7,276Open Admission:yesTuition:$1,336Full school details

Winston Salem, NC7276[+/-] Gaston CollegeLocationallas, NCEnrollment:5,718Open Admission:yesTuition:$1,520Full school details

Dallas, NC5718[+/-] Guilford Technical Community CollegeLocation:Jamestown, NCEnrollment:10,571Open Admission:yesTuition:$1,481Full school details

Jamestown, NC10571[+/-] Halifax Community CollegeLocation:Weldon, NCEnrollment:1,142Open Admission:yesTuition:$1,442Full school details

Weldon, NC1142[+/-] Haywood Community CollegeLocation:Clyde, NCEnrollment:2,127Open Admission:yesTuition:$1,380Full school details

Clyde, NC2127[+/-] James Sprunt Community CollegeLocation:Kenansville, NCEnrollment:1,118Open Admission:yesTuition:$1,414Full school details

Kenansville, NC1118[+/-] Lenoir Community CollegeLocation:Kinston, NCEnrollment:2,733Open Admission:yesTuition:$1,419Full school details

Kinston, NC2733[+/-] Martin Community CollegeLocation:Williamston, NCEnrollment:755Open Admission:yesTuition:$1,386Full school details

Williamston, NC755[+/-] McDowell Technical Community CollegeLocation:Marion, NCEnrollment:1,134Open Admission:yesTuition:$1,444Full school details

Marion, NC1134[+/-] Pitt Community CollegeLocation:Winterville, NCEnrollment:6,499Open Admission:yesTuition:$1,426Full school details

Winterville, NC6499[+/-] Randolph Community CollegeLocation:Asheboro, NCEnrollment:2,521Open Admission:yesTuition:$1,072Full school details

Asheboro, NC2521[+/-] Rowan Cabarrus Community CollegeLocation:Salisbury, NCEnrollment:5,158Open Admission:yesTuition:$1,408Full school details

Salisbury, NC5158[+/-] Sandhills Community CollegeLocation:Pinehurst, NCEnrollment:3,826Open Admission:yesTuition:$1,276Full school details

Pinehurst, NC3826[+/-] Southwestern Community CollegeLocation:Sylva, NCEnrollment:2,040Open Admission:yesTuition:$1,241Full school details

Sylva, NC2040[+/-] Surry Community CollegeLocationobson, NCEnrollment:3,201Open Admission:yesTuition:$1,408Full school details

Dobson, NC3201[+/-] Tri County Community CollegeLocation:Murphy, NCEnrollment:1,079Open Admission:yesTuition:$1,403Full school details

Murphy, NC1079[+/-] Vance Granville Community CollegeLocation:Henderson, NCEnrollment:4,135Open Admission:yesTuition:$1,074Full school details

Henderson, NC4135[+/-] Wake Technical Community CollegeLocation:Raleigh, NCEnrollment:12,238Open Admission:yesTuition:$1,406Full school details

Raleigh, NC12238[+/-] Wayne Community CollegeLocation:Goldsboro, NCEnrollment:2,988Open Admission:yesTuition:$1,400Full school details

Goldsboro, NC2988[+/-] Wilkes Community CollegeLocation:Wilkesboro, NCEnrollment:2,476Open Admission:yesTuition:$1,424Full school details

Wilkesboro, NC2476[+/-] Wilson Community CollegeLocation:Wilson, NCEnrollment:1,642Open Admission:yesTuition:$1,386Full school details

Wilson, NC1642
Old 10-27-2009, 01:10 PM   #9
guydon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan3 View Post
How do I find them? My interwebs skills are having a bad day.

My wife makes damn good money here, it would be great if I didn't need to relocate.
As far as doing searches, it takes practice. Try wording things differently and search again. Sites use "tags" for key words, so you would use "mechanic, school, NC, performance"... and so on until you find what you are looking for. I usually type the exact phrase I am looking for, then refine from there. Also check your local education center on post, make an oppontment and tell them what you want to do. They should be able to point you in the right direction. You are AF right? What was your MOS, you might have a lot of credits that can transfer if you go to the ed center.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:39 PM   #10
Dan3
Captain of the Failboat

Guy: Ok... scanning through your list I see why I couldnt find all this. I'm looking for a performance automotive training. I'm familiar with ASEP and I know personally the guy in-charge at Wayne Community College.

The trick is, I'm not looking for a "how-to fix engines" as much as how to modify engines for performance gains. Most of the colleges listed either have basic automotive tech classes, or automotive engineering degrees.

Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate your help. I think I'm just looking for a very small selection in the education realm.

Robin: That's what I was looking for, something like that. Somewhere a little closer than Houston would be nice, but I'll definitely contact SAM.
Old 06-05-2020, 04:30 AM   #11
Grahamexl

Drives: Camaro z28, Lexus SC 400
Quote:

Originally Posted by CooperUrbana
Hey guys, tech noob here (but willing to learn). I'm looking forward to joining the performance automotive training field. My brother has chosen Automotive Training Center for his post-secondary education. I'm in high school, but I was thinking I might start with online courses first before college.

Cooper

Hello Cooper,

There're actually plenty of options for online education too: online automotive engine performance training class at Ashworth College, for example. But also: you can get an on campus diploma in High Performance Motorsports Technology at UNOH or Ohio Tech.
+
Ranken Technical College
Universal Technical Institute
Grahamexl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 01:52 PM   #12
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamexl View Post
Hello Cooper,

There're actually plenty of options for online education too: online automotive engine performance training class at Ashworth College, for example. But also: you can get an on campus diploma in High Performance Motorsports Technology at UNOH or Ohio Tech.
+
Ranken Technical College
Universal Technical Institute
I'm so confused by your reply. The person you responded to didn't even comment in this thread. What is going on here?

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote