Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 11-17-2016, 07:54 AM   #1
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Automatic vs Manual Impressions

So finally had a chance to go a test drive a Camaro SS with the manual transmission. I also treated today as the final test drives of the car as I drove both the 8 speed auto along with the manual.

Drove an automatic 2SS first to get used to the car again. It had the magnetic ride suspension and dual mode exhaust. Drove the way I remembered( amazing). The LT1 is in my opinion the better sounding engine than the Coyote.

The manual transmission car was a 1SS with only the dual mode exhaust. So it had normal dampers which was perfect because I did also wanted to see how the Camaro drove on the standard SS suspension. The Tremec in the Camaro is a whole lot better than the MT-82 that is in the Mustang GT. The Mustang GT would buck when getting the car moving and in the 1-2 shift. The 1-2 shifts were smooth in the Camaro despite my poor clutch work, but early on would still buck on getting the car moving. Later after I gave my mom a chance to drive the Camaro, we figured out why I had such an issue with getting it going and having it buck. I was just popping the clutch out too soon. After that, launches were a lot smoother. Pretty sure if I would go and drive the GT again, probably could solve the bucking getting it started issue at least since I was probably doing the same thing( couldn't change drivers in the Mustang because the Ford dealer kept their Mustangs with no freaking gas in the tank so had to keep the trips short).

I absolutely loved the rev-matching feature the manual transmission has just for the sound. Downshift and the car automatically blips the throttle and sounds freaking amazing. Hill starting was a bit of an issue, but decided to use the parking brake trick to help out. Since the parking brake is electronic, just set it when you come to a stop at a red light and when it turns green, you can just release the brake without worry of rollback and the parking brake will automatically disengage when it senses forward motion.

I did stall it a few times at the beginning and I apologize to the one person that was behind me after I stalled it twice in a row.... Three things I didn't like about the manual transmission. First, it is hard to find 5th gear. When I first got in the car, I just rowed it through all the gears just to see where the gates were, and I went to go to 5th gear and consistently found reverse instead. Which goes into the second complaint.... There is no manual form of reverse lockout. All the sticks I have driven had a way you had to move the shifter to put it into reverse( whether it was to push down on the shifter or pull up). Now I am sure the Tremec does have a reverse lock out as I was driving it, I would go all the way over to the right I obviously didn't destroy reverse by mistakingly shift into it looking for 5th, it would stop and I would push up to put it into 5th gear. So when the car starts moving, I bet it automatically will open/close a solenoid that blocks the shifter from going into reverse. I would like the manual lockout where I would have to do something to get it into reverse. But it would be something I would get used to. Though when I wanted fifth, I was very conscious about shifting into reverse by mistake so much, I would end up downshifting back into 3rd gear( benefit of the rev-matching feature was being able to immediately know I downshifted to 3rd instead of upshifting to 5th as I heard the car blipping the throttle). Third thing I hated is the classic 1-4 skip shift feature. As soon as the car would be out of warranty, would get a skip-shift eliminator.

Side note on the experience, the magnetic ride suspension is absolutely worth the money. As noted above, the manual transmission car didn't have mag ride. Went on the same roads and hit the same bumps as we did with the automatic car that had mag ride. The standard suspension isn't horrible. But the car was able to absorb the bumps better with the magnetic dampers even in track mode. You could absolutely tell the difference. Who knows if there is a noticeable change in times on a track, but the magnetic ride control certainly helps with making the Camaro a better daily driver.

Come February or so, all I will have to do is walk in, negotiate the deal, and order the car. I am still leaning towards the automatic. I had an absolute blast in the manual transmission Camaro and AFM is disabled in the manual transmission version. I am not against it per se, but the Gen IV Small Blocks had oil burning issues which went away if the person disabled AFM. Not sure if GM fixed it with the Gen V Small Blocks, but it would be one less issue..... But as I was driving the car, I definitely was more focused on shifting, the clutch, etc than operating the rest of the vehicle( sorry to the person I blinded with my high beams). Now I am sure this would go away as I get 1-2 weeks of experience under my belt and it would become second nature. The big issue though is still will I still enjoy the manual transmission 5-7 years down the road and will I be able to tolerate stop and go traffic with it? It is a very easy manual transmission car to drive now that I figured out how to initially get the car moving, but doesn't change the fact stop and go won't be fun. And the fact I am constantly checking behind me cursing the people who stop right on my bumper giving me no room for any potential roll back......

Still got 3 months to decide. And if I do end up keeping the Saturn, would definitely tip the scale towards the manual transmission. But if it will be my daily driver, I think I would still choose the automatic transmission.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 08:06 AM   #2
TransAmx2

Drives: '98 Pontiac Trans Am
I think the "Finding 5th Gear" issue is something that will go away with a day or 2 of driving. When I first got my '98 Trans Am (With a tremec T56) it took me a couple days to get comfortable with finding the higher gear I wanted. When I test drove a 2016 SS Manual it was like I had my old transmission in a new car, I could find every gear whenever I wanted, so I (personally) don't think there is any issues with the transmission, just a little seat time should cure all your concerns.

On a side note I had the same exact feeling test driving a 2016 SRT Challenger manual, the gears where all right where they should be compared to my current daily driver.
2007 Z51 Corvette M6 (Salvage Project Car)
1987 Trans Am 350tpi A4 RIP
TransAmx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 08:18 AM   #3
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
"Finding 5th gear"

As you mentioned, when you're rolling...reverse is locked out very solidly. It's nearly impossible to shift into reverse while moving. During all other situations...there's really no reason to be finding 5th.

But if you did really want to, I've found that partially shifting into 6th, and then pushing straight upwards was a fine technique.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:25 AM   #4
63falcondude

Drives: 16 Camaro, 11 Stryker, 00 Explorer
As others have said, reverse is locked out when moving forward (not sure of the exact parameters) so you can move the stick all the way to the right and then up to get into 5th. You just have to trust it. It took me longer than most to get used to the manual and I do enjoy it now but it is a nightmare getting stuck in stop and go traffic. I used to use the e brake on hills but don't anymore.

I want to try out an auto without MRC to see what both are like (mine is M6 with MRC).

1100 12/14/2015
3000 1/8/2016 (TPW 2/1)
3800 2/1/2016
5000 3/5/2016
63falcondude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 08:26 AM   #5
ChevyRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
"Finding 5th gear"

As you mentioned, when you're rolling...reverse is locked out very solidly. It's nearly impossible to shift into reverse while moving. During all other situations...there's really no reason to be finding 5th.

But if you did really want to, I've found that partially shifting into 6th, and then pushing straight upwards was a fine technique.
Think it was just me being very conscious of hitting reverse vs 5th gear when moving due to shifting into reverse instead of 5th every time I went through the gates when I first got into the car.

The first two complaints I have( 5th gear and the lockout) will most likely go away with time and experience. But those were just the issues I had initially during the test drive. And they are relatively small issues for me. Wouldn't prevent me from choosing the manual. It's one of the easiest and most forgiving manuals I have driven. Probably only the Lotus Elise/Exige manual being easier to drive.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:30 AM   #6
ThatRedFirebird

Drives: 2002 Pontiac T/Am, 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransAmx2 View Post
I think the "Finding 5th Gear" issue is something that will go away with a day or 2 of driving. When I first got my '98 Trans Am (With a tremec T56) it took me a couple days to get comfortable with finding the higher gear I wanted. When I test drove a 2016 SS Manual it was like I had my old transmission in a new car, I could find every gear whenever I wanted, so I (personally) don't think there is any issues with the transmission, just a little seat time should cure all your concerns.

On a side note I had the same exact feeling test driving a 2016 SRT Challenger manual, the gears where all right where they should be compared to my current daily driver.
Fifth hasn't been weird for me, only sixth I sometimes grab 4th (which is hilarious with rev match since you're trying to ascend a gear and instead get an angry BRAPPPP).

Always excited to see a fellow T/Am owner
ThatRedFirebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 08:44 AM   #7
BrianL

Drives: 2016 2SS, Red Hot, NPP, Nav, M6
I find the Tremec & the clutch to be very easy to use in mine. I have had many manuals in my cars, & I think this set us is the best I have ever had. Certainly better then the transmission in the Mustang (I have several of those also). I have never experienced the "can't find 5th" personally, but as others have mentioned you don't have to worry about the "accidental reverse" once you are up to speed.

The skip shift (CAGS) eliminator was in my car within days of me bringing the car home. But I appreciate the engineering effort for this device to get the manual version to be exempt for the gas guzzler tax. I would not be concerned with that voiding your warranty, it's a plug in module in-line with existing cabling. You could easily remove it should you feel the need.

On hills, I also find the hill assist to be a great feature, so you don't have to manually use the e-brake switch as you described. I know there are others that don't like it, but for me, it works well. I have many hills in my area, so it get's used a lot.

As with any car, it just takes a little practice & it becomes 2nd nature pretty soon.

Last edited by BrianL; 11-17-2016 at 09:49 AM.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 08:45 AM   #8
nearwater

Drives: '17 2SS 50th
No offense, but if you find trouble rowing through gears, then you need to relearn how to shift a manual shifter.
It's not like you have to 'find' the way through that gate, but rather a smooth, fluid motion.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:55 AM   #9
ChevyRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearwater View Post
No offense, but if you find trouble rowing through gears, then you need to relearn how to shift a manual shifter.
It's not like you have to 'find' the way through that gate, but rather a smooth, fluid motion.
I will freely admit I am very inexperienced in driving manuals( probably should have mentioned it in my first post). My Saturn is my first car and it is an automatic. My only experience with manuals have been driving them around dealer lots when I worked as a lot attendant( which only required getting them moving, reverse, and maybe 1-2 shift) and when I drove the Regal GS around GM's milford proving grounds. So I do have very little experience rowing my own gears and daily driving a stick. The Mustang GT and now the Camaro SS being the first manuals I have taken on public roads which were of course test drives.

As I stated above, the "finding 5th" issue is probably just me being very conscious of not wanting to mistakingly shift into reverse( and not trusting the lockout) so I mistakingly shift into 3rd instead of 5th.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:13 AM   #10
motorheadkev

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT-217CI
just comes with experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
I will freely admit I am very inexperienced in driving manuals( probably should have mentioned it in my first post). My Saturn is my first car and it is an automatic. My only experience with manuals have been driving them around dealer lots when I worked as a lot attendant( which only required getting them moving, reverse, and maybe 1-2 shift) and when I drove the Regal GS around GM's milford proving grounds. So I do have very little experience rowing my own gears and daily driving a stick. The Mustang GT and now the Camaro SS being the first manuals I have taken on public roads which were of course test drives.

As I stated above, the "finding 5th" issue is probably just me being very conscious of not wanting to mistakingly shift into reverse( and not trusting the lockout) so I mistakingly shift into 3rd instead of 5th.
The current group of manual transmission cars are very easy to drive and very forgiving. Manuals of yesteryear were very difficult to master. Very heavy mechanical clutches and very long throws. (test drive a 1970 challenger, if you have access, you’ll see) And they were easy to stall especially when engine was cold. But to get the total muscle car experience you have to have a manual tray. It is the only way. And these days it is great theft deterrent. So think twice about the auto, unless you will use the car for commuting and deal with New York traffic, hay wait a minute, that’s what I deal with.
motorheadkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 10:13 AM   #11
TransAmx2

Drives: '98 Pontiac Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatRedFirebird View Post
Always excited to see a fellow T/Am owner
Love my T/A, now I just need a reason to justify (to the wife) keeping my T/A after I get a 1LE
2007 Z51 Corvette M6 (Salvage Project Car)
1987 Trans Am 350tpi A4 RIP
TransAmx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 10:42 AM   #12
warriordave927
Deadpool

Drives: 2016 camaro lt rs m6 redhot
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransAmx2 View Post
Love my T/A, now I just need a reason to justify (to the wife) keeping my T/A after I get a 1LE
Just tell her its an investment for the future since pontiac is no longer around and the car will go up in value
warriordave927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 10:48 AM   #13
sstoronto

Drives: 2017 2SS.
I do agree re the "5th" gear issue.

When I "dry shifted" the SS at the Auto Show, I was worried about the shift spacing, etc (and I'm an "old-guy", been driving manuals since the 80's...).

However, once on the road, for my first test drive, that issue was a non-factor. As others have stated, reverse is locked out, and it doesn't affect you, after the first few 5th gear shifts....

good luck in choosing what's right for you.
Old 11-17-2016, 11:22 AM   #14
jlagman

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
My 5th gear issue, which has yet to surface, would be me driving my GMC Canyon, accidentally putting it in 5th, thinking I just put it into reverse and stalling it.
jlagman is offline   Reply With Quote