Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 08-09-2016, 09:00 PM   #1
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Decisions Decisions....

Well today didn't turn out the way I thought it would. We had to go pick up my moms Equinox from our local Chevy dealership. There is a Ford dealer near by and I wanted to test drive the Mustang GT just to give it a fair look. Drove both an automatic equipped GT and a GT with the stick and performance package. The auto drove well and handled fairly well too. The GT with the manual transmission and performance package definitely felt more planted though. Visibility out of the Mustang is also better. Definitely would be easier to drive every day and live with being able to see more. The Coyote V8 sounded great as well.

I have two issues with the Mustang. First the steering was numb. I had it in sport and it had good weight to it, but just had no feeling. Second was with the manual and it probably has to do with me being inexperienced with manual transmissions overall, but the 1-2 shift was always rough and the car would buck a little bit. Getting the car moving in first got better as I regained both proficiency driving a stick period and learned how the Mustang's drove specifically. And shifts from 2-3, 3-4, 4-5, and 5-6 were always smooth with no problem. But my 1-2 shifts were always rough. Again I am assuming it was me causing it due to my rust.

In conclusion, Mustang is a good car, but I still prefer the Camaro's looks, interior, and how it drives. On the way back to the Chevy dealer to pick up my car( as I left it there and we took my moms Equinox over to the Ford dealer), I was thinking that I should drive a Camaro SS with a manual transmission. Well the only manual transmission Camaro they had was a 2.0T....... Well no go there.... But the salesman did his usual stick of selling what they have now on the lot. They still have the 2016 nightfall gray 2SS that I test drove back in May. With the 10% off deal, a $48,000 car is now $39,900 plus trade in and GM card would bring that price down even lower. That for me is mighty tempting as it has everything I want on it( MRC, NPP, 8 speed auto, nav, exterior/interior color) with the exception of it also having a sunroof. I can put less money down and the payments would be $70 more than what I originally planned for with a higher down payment.

I would like a 2017 just to have a perceived model year newer car with any first year bugs worked out, prefer not to have a car that has sat on the lot for at least 3 months, and I don't want a sunroof due to the reduced headroom and the fact since this would be a long term car is a matter of when it will start leaking. Also I would only have 3 months to rebuild my wallet to purchase winter wheels and tires.

My original plan was to order the car in February/March and it would get here in April/May time frame of next year. I would get a car exactly the way I want it nothing more, nothing less, I would be the only one to drive it, and would have 6-8 months to save back up for winter tires and wheels.

Still... Mighty tempting to pick up that 2016 now.... The big factors is the fact it has been sitting on the lot for at least 3 months( didn't check the build date at the time of test drive) and it has a sunroof which I really would prefer to have no sunroof.....
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:11 PM   #2
SpookShow'84
Bump in the night

Drives: '84 Monte Carlo SS, '15 Optima
There are reasons for the 1st year stereotype. It'll have a good chance of the NPP rattle. Check the checklist off and inspect the paint under bright daylight for lot monkey wash swirls.

I'd wait for March '17. By then you'll know what colors and options will be available for '18 and either get a '17 or wait a few weeks and order a '18, if they don't make an '18 you'll probably still be able to order a '17 how you want it.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:12 PM   #3
Sev

Drives: 2016 2SS / 2004 Tacoma
Go with what your gut tells you. We can't make that decision for you . If you're set on not having a sunroof, then order a 17 exactly the way you want it, or see if another dealer around has a closer match.

As far as driving a stick, the Camaro will buck as well between getting going, and shifting from 1-2 (due to the rust, I went through the same thing.). You'll also get used to the low visibility of the Camaro. It's a very easy car to drive after some wheel time.

Good luck on your decision, go with your gut, you'll be happy either way .

"I'm going to drink you pretty, beautiful toad"
Sev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:13 PM   #4
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
10% off 48k is 43,200. Did you negotiate further to get $39,900?
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:31 PM   #5
ChevyRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
10% off 48k is 43,200. Did you negotiate further to get $39,900?
They tacked on their own deals too so their deals plus the 10%. I didn't even begin to haggle and I am assuming they won't go any lower than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sev View Post
Go with what your gut tells you. We can't make that decision for you . If you're set on not having a sunroof, then order a 17 exactly the way you want it, or see if another dealer around has a closer match.

As far as driving a stick, the Camaro will buck as well between getting going, and shifting from 1-2 (due to the rust, I went through the same thing.). You'll also get used to the low visibility of the Camaro. It's a very easy car to drive after some wheel time.

Good luck on your decision, go with your gut, you'll be happy either way .
The visibility in the Camaro isn't a dealbreaker and when I drove that gray one back in May, I was fine with it. Just saying the Mustang's is definitely better and would be easier to live with.

As for the stick, yeah I figure. The salesman is going to call me when they get a manual SS in so I can go drive it. I am still leaning towards the 8 speed auto, but I did enjoy the stick GT a lot and I do love the engagement a manual transmission gives you with the car. It's just a matter of will I be fine with it on my daily commute in stop and go traffic and for 5-10 years which I project how long I will have the Camaro for.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:05 PM   #6
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
They tacked on their own deals too so their deals plus the 10%. I didn't even begin to haggle and I am assuming they won't go any lower than that.

The visibility in the Camaro isn't a dealbreaker and when I drove that gray one back in May, I was fine with it. Just saying the Mustang's is definitely better and would be easier to live with.

As for the stick, yeah I figure. The salesman is going to call me when they get a manual SS in so I can go drive it. I am still leaning towards the 8 speed auto, but I did enjoy the stick GT a lot and I do love the engagement a manual transmission gives you with the car. It's just a matter of will I be fine with it on my daily commute in stop and go traffic and for 5-10 years which I project how long I will have the Camaro for.

If you can buy that loaded grey SS for under 40k you are crazy not to snatch that up. The 2017 will be no different than the 2016, except that the 2016 will cost less. Also, sunroofs don't leak anymore like they did in 30 years ago. I would not let that stop you but if the headroom is an issue then I understand.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:10 PM   #7
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
You'll probably experience more bucking from Mustang on the 1-2 shift due to gearing/max mph in first gear being lower.. Especially if you're running it over 20+ or so mph before shifting into second.. Until you get used to it obviously.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:22 PM   #8
fzr100098
Banned

Drives: 2016 2SS Hyper Blue
Sounds like a great deal - I hate sunroofs too, but I wouldn't let that stop you at that price, unless you can find another one on the internet for similar (plenty of deals right now). Was grey your preferred color?
fzr100098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:25 PM   #9
ChevyRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by fzr100098 View Post
Sounds like a great deal - I hate sunroofs too, but I wouldn't let that stop you at that price, unless you can find another one on the internet for similar (plenty of deals right now). Was grey your preferred color?
Nightfall gray would probably be my #1 choice. Debating between it and Mosaic black. Just need to see mosaic black in person and the dealership didn't have any both times I have been there. Like I said, this car is exactly what I want minus it having a sunroof.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:18 PM   #10
Cldgin2

Drives: 2017 1LE SS
I was holding out for a 2017 but gave in. Got my 2016 and I've been very happy! Can't beat the discounts right now. Only 1200 miles on mine so far, took delivery July 2nd, so far so good. If you like the car / deal go for it. Problem cars and good cars are luck of the draw. Could happen regardless of model year
Old 08-09-2016, 11:27 PM   #11
Ittookalongtime

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE Summit White
Nightfall grey is a good color. A bit less flashy lets you stay below radar a bit. But I love manual. Tough call.
Ittookalongtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:10 AM   #12
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5244 View Post
If you can buy that loaded grey SS for under 40k you are crazy not to snatch that up. The 2017 will be no different than the 2016, except that the 2016 will cost less.
THIS! If thats truly the price, you would be a fool NOT to jump on that.

INCOMING: ‘22 ZL1, Satin Steel. A10. PDR.
Ordered: 03/02/22.
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:16 AM   #13
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
You'll probably experience more bucking from Mustang on the 1-2 shift due to gearing/max mph in first gear being lower...
Or, simply because that junk MT82 is being its raggedyass self.

INCOMING: ‘22 ZL1, Satin Steel. A10. PDR.
Ordered: 03/02/22.
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 10:18 AM   #14
ChevyRules

As of now, I am leaning towards keeping towards my original plan of ordering the car in February/March. It's an amazing deal and whoever buys it will love it. But I think I will be more financially comfortable waiting and further building up my savings and have more time to save back up for winter wheels and tires. I am able to do it now, but would just be more comfortable in the long term by waiting a few more months.