Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 02-25-2017, 04:45 PM   #1
MustangKiller

Drives: 2013 2ss/rs A6 yellow !!!!!
2nd converter failure help!!!

First off I will start by saying that I do not want this to be a bashing thread in anyway therefore I will keep the names confidential . I Will start off by saying the first failure happen about 10 miles out from my tuner on a brand-new build. The Torrington bearing in the converter came apart it's a triple disc coverter btw 3800 stall and puked a bunch of debris in the my transmission and took the trans out also....so I sent the converter back and they rebuild it. The owner of the company also requested that I have the trans taken to a specific person and he would take care of everything. Exactly 7900 miles later I lost 5th gear it's still drove just no holding power I have never taken the car to the track and I'm running a tire that pretty much spins 305/25/22 all the time and I don't beat on the car hard at the time I dynoed the car it was putting 540hp &514tq too the tire dynojet ! I have built quite a few of these cars and have pushed these 6l80E's quite far. With that being said of course this would happen to my own personal camaro. I have checked everything as far as the motor is concerned crank walk and converter to flexplate clearance. The pics I am posting are of the second failure after 7900 miles the first thing I noticed was a loss with 5th gear I was not beating on the car at the time! It just started slipping so I don't really know a given time when it could've possibly happened. i'm just curious if anyone has ever seen this before? I am not even questioning the tune at all any help would be greatly appreciated here are the pics
MustangKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 10:31 PM   #2
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
yo neighbor! question, what are you mods? motor work? it almost looks like the alignment from the crank thru the convertor to the trans is off..the stator should not be cracked like that...has the crank flange been checked against the block? just throwin some stuff at ya, get the brain juices flowin...

also your gonna need to make sure the entire trans cooling line and system is flushed big time...

those are not cheap parts..should not fail like that...good luck...peace out...
Old 02-26-2017, 08:05 PM   #3
MustangKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
yo neighbor! question, what are you mods? motor work? it almost looks like the alignment from the crank thru the convertor to the trans is off..the stator should not be cracked like that...has the crank flange been checked against the block? just throwin some stuff at ya, get the brain juices flowin...

also your gonna need to make sure the entire trans cooling line and system is flushed big time...

those are not cheap parts..should not fail like that...good luck...peace out...

Ty for replying Great ideas btw but sadly I've checked all that already and found nothing everything is pretty much is close to perfect as you can get. RHS Block sleeved 4.195 bore 4.190 wiseco custom Ls7 pistons Callies Magnum XL 4.00in crank Callies Ultra I Beam rods stock LS7 heads with a valve job Del West intake valves and Manley compression is @11.7:1 BTR LS7 stage 4 cam and platinum spring kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-26-2017, 08:18 PM   #4
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Similar?
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 10:00 PM   #5
MustangKiller

2nd converter failure help!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
Similar?

That is extraordinarily the same only mine didn't break off totally what brand is that if you don't mind saying it looks like an FTI did you ever figure out the cause

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2017, 08:00 AM   #6
pancherj

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
The base of the cut out looks to be a sharp corner with no radius. Never a good idea (although it is probably one less machining step to make it that way). Doesn't surprise me that that is where the crack initiated.
pancherj is offline   Reply With Quote