Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 06-29-2016, 08:02 AM   #29
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSX Camaro View Post
Do you really want the truth?

The Transmission Tech was NOT gone for the day. He was there working on legitimate jobs. The Service Advisor played you with some nonsense so he could stay working on paying jobs.
LOL maybe but it was about 5:00 PM on a Friday...And it was just a hey what is a normal temp for these cars not any time on a hoist. The computer info they had for the car didn't say anything...
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:30 AM   #30
qcman

Quote:
Originally Posted by G701LE View Post
Mine runs just a hair over the 180 mark. The same as before I installed a cooler. I am also tuned. But, these "gauges" are so far off. When I checked my fluid level after the cooler install, I let it get up to around 140 on the gauge then took the check level bolt out. The fluid wasn't even warm to the touch, but the gauge was reading around 140!
I am a bit suspect of the gauge. Sometimes the start up temp seems higher than the ambient temperature outside. One trans guy I spoke to said the gauge could be off some. He mentioned using an infrared gun on the trans pan and line going to the rad. I have access to one in my asphalt laboratory at work but I'm not a fan of them for any tight range accuracy.

I might do it for curiousity though....
Old 06-29-2016, 04:41 PM   #31
qcman

Cooler is going in Tuesday will report back once I get a run with it....
Old 06-29-2016, 08:21 PM   #32
flyer08
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Which cooler?
flyer08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:05 PM   #33
qcman

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyer08 View Post
Which cooler?
Honestly no idea my dealer looked into it and selected one they thought would be right for what I wanted. It sounds like a medium capacity one according to the guy I spoke with. I don't know anyting about this sort of thing.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:14 PM   #34
SoChrisB

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
You can put it in yourself and save a lot of money.
SoChrisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:33 PM   #35
qcman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoChrisB View Post
You can put it in yourself and save a lot of money.
Oh no I can't I'm an idiot when it comes to working on cars. Now RC Helicopters I'm pretty bada$$ed but cars hell no! Trust me if I tore into the car it wouldn't work anymore and I have history to back that up lol.
Old 07-06-2016, 08:34 AM   #36
qcman

So the cooler went in yesterday and I don't think it is doiing much if anything. The tech noted he didn't cut the trans lines and it could easily be returned to stock so not sure how it is configured. It is sitting in front of the rad on the lower drivers side more or less...

In slow around town stop and go I would say it still hit 210 or thereabouts. About the only good thing I noticed is when I resumed driving at a higher speed say 30-40 mph it came back down close to 180 which it hasn't done. It typically stayed pretty warm once up there. I guess thats the air going over the trans cooler helping in that way.

It was really hot here yesterday so it might be interesting to see if its better when a bit cooler out as it didn't matter what the air temp was before the cooler went in.

Should I be asking about this in terms of how it is setup? Sorry but I'm a complete noob about these things. I'm thinking I may wasted my money doing this....
Old 07-06-2016, 09:28 AM   #37
pancherj

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
You didn't waste money. Just get a small fan to add on to the cooler and then you will have air moving over the cooler at all times. You've already proved that the cooler works when it has airflow...
pancherj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:31 PM   #38
SoChrisB

Or put in a bigger transmission pan. Not sure why you aren't seen a great drop in your tranny temp. I installed b&m cooler and saw a considerable drop.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:37 PM   #39
qcman

Quote:
Or put in a bigger transmission pan. Not sure why you aren't seen a great drop in your tranny temp. I installed b&m cooler and saw a considerable drop.
Thx I'm going to give it a day or two to drive it a bit more. I have no idea what make of cooler it is to even compare to what you have installed. I assume its a fairly generic one though. Dealer purchased from NAPA I believe.... Could it be the way it is plumbed in?

Should I be asking the dealer then why it isn't lowering the temps assuming it stays the same as now?
Old 07-07-2016, 10:12 AM   #40
SoChrisB

Yes, I would ask the dealership both of those questions. You should see a drop of at least 20 degrees from installing a basic tranny cooler.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:24 AM   #41
qcman

Quote:
Yes, I would ask the dealership both of those questions. You should see a drop of at least 20 degrees from installing a basic tranny cooler.
Very good thank you. I assume whether the cooler is installed say on the return line (hot side) of the transmission going back in to the radiator or after the radiator going back to the the trans (cool side in) could have an effect on the coolers efficiency?

Am I on the right track with wondering if this could explain things?
Old 07-08-2016, 08:51 AM   #42
SoChrisB

Yes and no. You're still adding another "level" of cooling for your fluid. It only makes sense it would be slightly cooler even if hooked up "wrong".