Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-04-2018, 08:46 AM   #1
Sooner Cole

Drives: 2019 ZL1-1LE A10
Anyone switch from ZL1 to ZL1 1LE

Curious who has made the switch and what your thoughts are. It would not be a daily driver. I do enjoy going to the track 4-5 times a year. Other than that just cruising and enjoying the car on evenings and weekends.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:05 AM   #2
Nrfd79

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
I had a 14 1LE before upgrading to the ZL1-1LE. I got it early Fall last year and put about 2000 miles on it before putting it away for the winter. The only draw back in my opinion is the tires. They don't grip until they are warm so if you're not used to a car that will kick the back out at will then be perpared. On a smooth road you really wont be able to tell how stiff the suspension is. But !!!
When you find that section of road that has seen better days this car will tell you every imperfection in it. So if you're a coffee drinker like me I would recommend drinking it before you drive the car or you will wear more of it than you will drink. I haven't had a chance to track the car as of yet but hoping to this summer but I haven't found a country back road corner that I couldn't go around at any speed. I've had many cars over the years and this is by far the most fun to drive. Just my thoughts and own opinion. Hope it kind helps....
Nrfd79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 09:12 AM   #3
Sooner Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrfd79 View Post
I had a 14 1LE before upgrading to the ZL1-1LE. I got it early Fall last year and put about 2000 miles on it before putting it away for the winter. The only draw back in my opinion is the tires. They don't grip until they are warm so if you're not used to a car that will kick the back out at will then be perpared. On a smooth road you really wont be able to tell how stiff the suspension is. But !!!
When you find that section of road that has seen better days this car will tell you every imperfection in it. So if you're a coffee drinker like me I would recommend drinking it before you drive the car or you will wear more of it than you will drink. I haven't had a chance to track the car as of yet but hoping to this summer but I haven't found a country back road corner that I couldn't go around at any speed. I've had many cars over the years and this is by far the most fun to drive. Just my thoughts and own opinion. Hope it kind helps....
Have you considered different tires for daily use and save the OEM's for track?
Old 04-04-2018, 09:15 AM   #4
Nrfd79

I thought about it but I bought the car to drive it hard so will probably keep the same set up on it. I'm thinking about switching to the r888r next set though.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:53 AM   #5
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17ZL1Camaro View Post
Curious who has made the switch and what your thoughts are. It would not be a daily driver. I do enjoy going to the track 4-5 times a year. Other than that just cruising and enjoying the car on evenings and weekends.
What are you hoping to improve by switching?
Old 04-04-2018, 10:06 AM   #6
Nrfd79

Not really looking to improve anything really. Reading a few posts here maybe I've miss read but if I remember correctly people were saying that they last a touch longer and heat up quicker. I do think that they look better. Wyndham looks like our cars knew each other on the assembly line. Pretty cool seeing how close they were in the production line.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:14 AM   #7
Sooner Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
What are you hoping to improve by switching?
I enjoy tracking the car. I like the adjustable suspension and all the bells and whistles with the 1LE package. Also, my car doesn't have the PDR, which is a must at the track. I am not sure if I will "improve" anything. It may just be a case of "i want it"
Old 04-04-2018, 10:27 AM   #8
Nrfd79

Quote:
I enjoy tracking the car. I like the adjustable suspension and all the bells and whistles with the 1LE package. Also, my car doesn't have the PDR, which is a must at the track. I am not sure if I will "improve" anything. It may just be a case of "i want it"
lol yeah that was kind my thing ( I want ) Was not a easy car to get. All the dealers around me didn't even know what I was talking about. After I purchased the car I took it to my local dealer and was asking them If I were to have any warranty issues could they work on it. They no joke asked me why I put the wing on the car. Needless to say I left and went to a different dealership..
Old 04-04-2018, 10:41 AM   #9
Blast2hell

Drives: 2020 ZLE Rally Green A10
Quote:
I don't know if I would say PDR is a must. You can Get a go pro, your phone, and odb2 Bluetooth and gps unit and do the same thing with some of the better apps on the market. Arguably you may even get better information/details.
Sebring Best Lap Time 2:29 Video
Roebling Road Best Lap Time 1:25 Video
Blast2hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:50 AM   #10
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast2hell View Post
I don't know if I would say PDR is a must. You can Get a go pro, your phone, and odb2 Bluetooth and gps unit and do the same thing with some of the better apps on the market. Arguably you may even get better information/details.
I second that motion. The PDR picture quality looks like the '70s. Pityful

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:50 AM   #11
Sooner Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast2hell View Post
Ya, I currently use the Harry's Lap timer app and recently got a Go Pro. Sometime the app works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes the mount fails and falls off or points phone at the sky. Just seems a lot easier with built in PDR?
Old 04-04-2018, 10:53 AM   #12
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
I was just curious to ask. Some people believe the ZL1 1LE is somehow "better" than the ZL1...when in fact it shares the exact same powertrain, body, and comes with several big street-side compromises in order to achieve that extra speed on track. But I'm preaching to the choir.

The tires are designed for the track...and are "tolerable" on the road. Until they're warm they skip and chatter everywhere unless you drive like a grandma...and where's the fun in that? I am seriously considering a separate set of street tires because of this...and that's a $4000 deal...

The suspension adjustment is nice, but plan to leave it in "full high" mode to get up driveways and around town. There really is nothing about the car that improves the street driving experience over the ZL1.

That said - on track? The tires will withstand unbelievable amounts of punishment. The stick is astronomical. You can feel the extra stability provided by the aero and hard-mounted suspension. From the steering on back, the car tracks true with no drama..."point and shoot", incredibly precise. And while I haven't had to use 6th gear on track (you'd need to be going 165+), it is there with a revised gear so the car won't fall on its face at those speeds.

I'd say - if you want to improve the track experience? It's a good choice. However, ask yourself if you've maxxed out the standard ZL1 on the track...because the standard ZL1 is way good on track. And the 1LE package won't make you very much faster if you haven't mastered that...
Old 04-04-2018, 11:04 AM   #13
Oil Man

Drives: 2016 2SS, 2018 ZL1 A10 (RIPx2)
The dealer I was at had 5 ZL1s and a single ZL1 1LE in inventory, and I drove three cars including the 1LE before I bought mine.

The 1LE is undeniably an amazing machine. And in the end, I would be able to actually use what it has over a ZL1 for a tiny fraction of a percentage of the prospective time I would own the car, and none of THAT time would be on the street.

I am not really a track rat, and taking the 2SS I had before this to local autocross events was already like taking a shotgun to a knife fight, I am expecting the ZL1 I bought to be total overkill. I will probably never run my ZL1 to the very edge of its cornering or braking abilities.

The rest of the time, I would be unhappy with how snare drum rigid the suspension is, even in Touring, and driving it 50 miles to work here and there, with traffic, on our crappy, deteriorating freeways would be a little like something out of the Spanish Inquisition. I earn a decent living, but I don't have park-it-in-the-5-car-garage-and-tow-it-to-the-track-5-times-a-year-behind-my-ginormous-RV-for-the-weekend-and-run-it-hard-then-park-it-for-the-winter kind of money.
Oil Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 12:19 PM   #14
Nrfd79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
I was just curious to ask. Some people believe the ZL1 1LE is somehow "better" than the ZL1...when in fact it shares the exact same powertrain, body, and comes with several big street-side compromises in order to achieve that extra speed on track. But I'm preaching to the choir.

The tires are designed for the track...and are "tolerable" on the road. Until they're warm they skip and chatter everywhere unless you drive like a grandma...and where's the fun in that? I am seriously considering a separate set of street tires because of this...and that's a $4000 deal...

The suspension adjustment is nice, but plan to leave it in "full high" mode to get up driveways and around town. There really is nothing about the car that improves the street driving experience over the ZL1.

That said - on track? The tires will withstand unbelievable amounts of punishment. The stick is astronomical. You can feel the extra stability provided by the aero and hard-mounted suspension. From the steering on back, the car tracks true with no drama..."point and shoot", incredibly precise. And while I haven't had to use 6th gear on track (you'd need to be going 165+), it is there with a revised gear so the car won't fall on its face at those speeds.

I'd say - if you want to improve the track experience? It's a good choice. However, ask yourself if you've maxxed out the standard ZL1 on the track...because the standard ZL1 is way good on track. And the 1LE package won't make you very much faster if you haven't mastered that...
I completely agree. Most people I don't believe could ever push it to its limits. I couldn't but it sure can test mine lol. I only bought it because I like the rarity of the car.