Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-29-2018, 06:56 AM   #1
soceur77

Drives: 17 NFG ZL1 17 GTR 22 RS6
zl1 vs demon

soceur77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:29 AM   #2
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Demons are slow. They're barely quicker than Hellcats if at all in the hands of most drivers. If that ZL1 is mostly stock/bolt ons and drag pack and gapping the Demon that bad then it's bad news for SRT boys. But I'm already sick of people throwing around the Demon name like it's actually a competitive car. It's a 4400 pound WHALE that makes 800 HP and only makes more under very specific circumstances. All of the drag features it has are hard to use and only work well at the drag strip. Launch Control sucks, people are getting 3.6 seconds, 3.9 seconds and the like on the street. All and all, it's just slow. Now we just have to find a way to get it disqualified from the record books. 9.6, 2.3 second 0-60, my ass.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:40 AM   #3
wlsmoku

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
the ZL1 had upper pulley, CAI, headers, e85, meth and tune
wlsmoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:42 AM   #4
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
I'd still never consider a Hellcat over even a stock ZL1.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:23 AM   #5
wlsmoku

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
I am supposed to line up with the zl1 owner so he can video his next to a stock Zl1(mine). I will try to do the same with the demon as well.
wlsmoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:01 AM   #6
7WSM

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Demons are slow. They're barely quicker than Hellcats if at all in the hands of most drivers. If that ZL1 is mostly stock/bolt ons and drag pack and gapping the Demon that bad then it's bad news for SRT boys. But I'm already sick of people throwing around the Demon name like it's actually a competitive car. It's a 4400 pound WHALE that makes 800 HP and only makes more under very specific circumstances. All of the drag features it has are hard to use and only work well at the drag strip. Launch Control sucks, people are getting 3.6 seconds, 3.9 seconds and the like on the street. All and all, it's just slow. Now we just have to find a way to get it disqualified from the record books. 9.6, 2.3 second 0-60, my ass.
Has anyone run faster then a 9.9 stock in a Demon? I think that 9.6 was only done in perfect conditions, (cold temps, and low low DA with a prepped track). I have seen 1 run at the track and he was all over the place from low 11s to low 10s. I love the concept of the Demon, but no one has really gotten close to the factory times yet. With most GM cars, the numbers can be easily duplicated if not surpassed.
7WSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:05 AM   #7
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7WSM View Post
Has anyone run faster then a 9.9 stock in a Demon? I think that 9.6 was only done in perfect conditions, (cold temps, and low low DA with a prepped track). I have seen 1 run at the track and he was all over the place from low 11s to low 10s. I love the concept of the Demon, but no one has really gotten close to the factory times yet. With most GM cars, the numbers can be easily duplicated if not surpassed.
We all know the 6th gen ZL1 M6 isn't on that list, lol.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:13 AM   #8
BlueSteel07

Drives: Nothing
Quote:
Some owners have ran high 9's and trapped 136 mph with the Race Gas tune and others have recorded 0-60 in 2.3 seconds at the track, so I wouldn't necessarily call them slow. I thought I saw in the Comments on youtube that the Camaro made about 720 rwhp. If that's true, I can see why it won as it has similar horsepower but likely at least 500 lbs lighter as the Demon had a passenger. It's also possible that the Demon was spinning quite a bit?
BlueSteel07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:17 AM   #9
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSteel07 View Post
Some owners have ran high 9's and trapped 136 mph with the Race Gas tune and others have recorded 0-60 in 2.3 seconds at the track, so I wouldn't necessarily call them slow. I thought I saw in the Comments on youtube that the Camaro made about 720 rwhp. If that's true, I can see why it won as it has similar horsepower but likely at least 500 lbs lighter as the Demon had a passenger. It's also possible that the Demon was spinning quite a bit?
Is there video of owners running 9s?
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:48 AM   #10
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSteel07 View Post
I take a general sense of speed in a car from what most owners could do with it in normal circumstances. I have no doubt that some people, maybe a lot of people, will get 9s and low 2 second 0-60s and the like. But if an owner can't replicate that on the street or even at the strip in front of his buddies, then it's all a waste IMO by putting it on too high of a pedestal. Looks like getting 9s out of the Demon is like trying to get 10s out of a ZL1. Sure it will happen but it's rare and it's not easy to replicate. It requires good air, good driver, and perfect scenarios. Now what I've NOT seen with the Demon, which is very important, is consistency. The owners/drivers/magazines are running 12s one minute and mid 10s the next (Have not seen anyone do 9s). This is where I start to challenge the records the Demon holds via manufacturer claims/hero runs. Because the cars it competes with acceleration wise are on AUTO-PILOT compared to the Demon. You take a 918 Spyder and that car is running 9.8 OVER AND OVER AND OVER again. You take a Demon and you'll be lucky to get a mid 10 out of it. You take most any Porsche, Lamborghini, or Ferrari and it's going to PRINT mid 10 second 1/4 miles like it's nobody's business. Over and over. Again, this is where I start to challenge the Demon. It's preposterous that this pig gets to hold such records and be a 10-11 second car 80%, 90%, 95%+ of the time.

720 RWHP on the ZL1, great, so it's full bolt on and supporting parts (+ the drag pack). But it didn't beat the demon, it destroyed it, wasn't even close. Makes it seem like, dropping most of those mods off and it STILL would have put up a fight/got it by a half car. Those races looked like a 100-200 HP difference to me.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:00 AM   #11
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Quote:
I take a general sense of speed in a car from what most owners could do with it in normal circumstances. I have no doubt that some people, maybe a lot of people, will get 9s and low 2 second 0-60s and the like. But if an owner can't replicate that on the street or even at the strip in front of his buddies, then it's all a waste IMO by putting it on too high of a pedestal. Looks like getting 9s out of the Demon is like trying to get 10s out of a ZL1. Sure it will happen but it's rare and it's not easy to replicate. It requires good air, good driver, and perfect scenarios. Now what I've NOT seen with the Demon, which is very important, is consistency. The owners/drivers/magazines are running 12s one minute and mid 10s the next (Have not seen anyone do 9s). This is where I start to challenge the records the Demon holds via manufacturer claims/hero runs. Because the cars it competes with acceleration wise are on AUTO-PILOT compared to the Demon. You take a 918 Spyder and that car is running 9.8 OVER AND OVER AND OVER again. You take a Demon and you'll be lucky to get a mid 10 out of it. You take most any Porsche, Lamborghini, or Ferrari and it's going to PRINT mid 10 second 1/4 miles like it's nobody's business. Over and over. Again, this is where I start to challenge the Demon. It's preposterous that this pig gets to hold such records and be a 10-11 second car 80%, 90%, 95%+ of the time.

720 RWHP on the ZL1, great, so it's full bolt on and supporting parts (+ the drag pack). But it didn't beat the demon, it destroyed it, wasn't even close. Makes it seem like, dropping most of those mods off and it STILL would have put up a fight/got it by a half car. Those races looked like a 100-200 HP difference to me.
Did you just compare a million dollar plus car to a demon? Lol. Dodge wins.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:04 AM   #12
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
You got to pay to play. You want to run 9s off the show room floor? Yes? Ok, it's going to cost you. I didn't start the comparison, Dodge by putting a car out there that they claim is FASTER than such cars did the comparison for me/us. You spend $100k for a Demon and run mid 10s in the hands of you and then you make up the rest by being sure everyone around you knows it's a 9.6 second car? Ok have fun. It's not "Slow" but certainly no 918/P1/LaFerrari/720S/Bugatti SS/Performante killer. And it shouldn't be.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:30 PM   #13
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
LOL. Forget the Demon. At this point the ZL1s should be worried about the Hellcat widebody as Motorweek just got a 10:90s out of it. Funny what happens when you put a decent tire on a car.

http://www.motorweek.org/reviews/roa...llcat-widebody
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 12:54 PM   #14
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
After watching the video of the extensive track prep for the Demon's 9 second hero run, I wasn't as impressed with it's quarter mile performance. Dodge has a done a great job marketing the car though. I'm actually more impressed with the 10 second ZL1 run with the drag tune, and supposedly there's more in it.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote