Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-05-2018, 08:07 PM   #1
ThatMaro
Patty Cake

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2LT RS
Was I lowballed?

Ok so I’ve been looking to trade my 14’ 2LS for a 2018 2LT with the RS pkg. So after week of searching for the perfect car I finally found it. So I set up an appointment to test drive the car etc..So I get to the dealership (stealership) and test drive the car and go over all the features (I was super interested in this car). So the salesman did an appraisal on my 2014 2LS w/63k that is actually in pretty good condition. So after about 15 minuets of him checking out/driving the car we go back in to talk about my cars value....Now mind you I was using KBB and other various websites to see how much my car should be worth. And is we walk back inside sit down and as soon as he said this my heart dropped and I was a little pissed off. So the trade in value he gave me for my car was $5,500 and first thing I said was well what about at least 9-10k (I’m fully aware to the fact that’s my car isn’t an SS or LT). And he goes “Let me ask my manager” and then he comes back and says “Bad News and Good News” Im like well what’s the good news? He goes “We can do $6,000 even” and I’m like well I already know the bad news that he can’t give me $9,000 or $10,000 for my car. And so I told l him no thanks.. I’m happy enough with my car... and I leave the dealership...So I’m asking you guys this question “Do you think that offer was complete BS or was it a “fair” offer?” I’ve never seen a any 2014-2015 Camaro go for less than about 10-11k no matter what trim level.
10’ Lexus ES 350
17’ Mercedes-Benz E300 4Matic (Totaled)
20' Mercedes-Benz CLA 250 4Matic - Loaded
ThatMaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:16 PM   #2
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
Have you tried getting an offer from CarMax?
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:23 PM   #3
ThatMaro
Patty Cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSuperfly View Post
Have you tried getting an offer from CarMax?
No. I tried to avoid them figuring that they were going to lowball me. Now I’m thinking they should have been the first dealer I visited.
10’ Lexus ES 350
Old 03-05-2018, 08:27 PM   #4
greyscale

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
my 2SS is worth about 12k right now according to KBB. I dont think he wasn't BSing you too much however I think the best way to go about it if you're trying to get more is through private sale a dealer is always going to low ball.
greyscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:38 PM   #5
Vec
Tejas Hillbilly

Drives: 15 SS 2SS/RS LS3M6
nope, thats about right. dealers dont pay KBB value.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:07 PM   #6
ThatMaro
Patty Cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vec View Post
nope, thats about right. dealers dont pay KBB value.
If that’s the case I might as well trade it ASAP. I’ll go to a few other local dealerships near by to see what offers they give.
10’ Lexus ES 350
Old 03-05-2018, 09:18 PM   #7
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Dealers will usually accept a car max bid if you bring it — and you know it’s higher than what they offer. Have that in your pocket when you deal...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:20 PM   #8
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Before going to car dealer get appraisal at Carmax, Auction Direct, and a couple more that friends recommend in your area. Many will give you a written offer good for a certain number of days from date of estimate. If your dealer will not match the offer keep in mind you can check with any other dealer in the country and ask if they will match the offer. I've done that over the phone and they gave me assurance they would match if they agreed with previous appraisal condition. And did my purchase in another city because found a better bargain at a remote dealer via internet search.
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:39 PM   #9
chargerfan2

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1LE 2SS Summit White
Carmax will give you a written offer good for 7 days. They will probably come up 1-2 thousand over what the dealership offered you. My wife works for a major auto group and even she wouldn't trade in one of our cars at one of their dealerships. If they offered you 6 they're going to put that on the lot the next week for 10-11 thousand. I went to carmax the last two times I sold cars just to get a ball park figure then ended up selling the cars private party for $2500 over what their offer was.
chargerfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 10:52 PM   #10
DagoCountyGee

Drives: '15 SS
You should consider trading it in for a SS ☺
Old 03-05-2018, 10:57 PM   #11
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Keep in mind, when a dealer appraises your vehicle they are assessing what they think they can resell it for. From that point, they will knock off a few thousand to ensure a decent profit on resale or at auction. They will also often try to recoup some of the money from that 'great deal' they offered you on the new purchase by knocking even more off the actual appraised value. So the 'appraisal' they present you will always be lower then the actual value and why, if you want to maximize what you get, you should sell your car yourself. This is the advice I was given many years ago by relatives & friends that worked at dealerships at the time & I've followed since.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:18 AM   #12
Tyestick

Drives: 19’ Camaro SS 1LE
Definitely a lowball. I did a quick search for 2014 2ls’s with your mileage in my area, and the average sale price was around 15k.

I’m not sure what your location is, so pricing may vary.

Although, if that’s the price you were given, that’ll be the ballpark that most dealerships give you. Might be a difference of $500-$1000, but I’m pretty sure that’s what you’re looking at.

Is your car paid off, or do you still owe? If it’s paid off, try selling it yourself.

If you still owe on the car, being ‘upside down’ aka negative equity, you’d be better off shopping around at a dealership that has the car you want, and negotiating the trade value, while rolling your negative equity into your next trade.
Tyestick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:43 AM   #13
The camaro show

Drives: 2015 camaro 2lt
the camaro holds the value the best out of any muscle car ik its a ls but around here they want 12-14k for a 2011 with similar mileage because theres one for sale i say keep your car or do a private sale
Cosmetic mods: SS hood with painted vent, SS bumper, acs 1le front lip black, big worm gfx tinted all lights, solar wing v2, Camaro seat belt pads and oracle color shift halos and fog light halos and rear colorshift bow tie, carbon creations carbon fiber stingray z spoiler
Wheels: lexani r-3 bg finish 19x8.5
Performance: cold air inductions intake, mrt v1, jacfab ported intake manifold, intake manifold spacer, overkill tuned on E85.
The camaro show is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 07:05 AM   #14
snarky
ultracrepidarianism

Drives: '14 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP '18 Accord Sport
YES