#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 07-02-2017, 02:29 PM   #1
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
A10 ZL1 3100 Mile Update

I just passed 3,100 miles on the car this past weekend. I got it at the end of February, but really only started putting on the miles in April once the weather cleared up. I've done two track days, an autocross event and several longer road trips (500-900 miles). I continue to be not just impressed, but totally blown away by the car in pretty much every aspect. For me, I think the overall drivability regardless of the venue is really amazing.

I know the ZL1 1LE is more track capable, but the harsh ride was a deal-breaker for me. This week is a perfect example why. I had a track day this weekend, but I needed to be in PA and NJ for meetings. I didn't have time to come back home and switch vehicles. So I loaded up all my work gear and all my track gear and headed out for what ended up being a 900 mile road trip. I never got tired or uncomfortable in the car throughout the trip.

The A10 transmission still continues to truly impress me. I did some laps on the track in both manual and fully automatic modes. I like the option of having both. When I really need to concentrate on hitting the line and correcting my position, I put it in auto and let the car handle that part of it. Once I'm done and I want to play more, then I put it in manual. The fact that I can do both has won me over to this automatic transmission after a lifetime of being a manual person. I also felt like while 6-speed manuals were lacking for a "middle gear", I had several to use. When they were hitting the rev limiter or deciding whether to go up a gear, I never had to worry about that.

I had a new revelation on this track day and it refutes some things I've read on here. The brakes on this car are incredible! I was throwing the car into the braking zone in-front of a 180 degree turn between 135 and 145 mph. I was trying my best to start breaking at the 500' mark. By the time I hit the turn-in point, the car was slowed from 135-145 to 45 mph with remarkable control. It did this time after time consistently with no brake fade all day long. I did 4 20 minute sessions in 80-90 degree air temps. Brakes were as strong the last lap as the were the first lap. At first, I had my instructor a little worried coming into the turn that hot. Finally, after a few laps, he said, "holy cow, the brakes on this car are amazing."

The other thing that remains remarkable on this car are the tires. For the road track they really seem to be spot on. They just stick. There was only one turn on the track that they even made a sound and that was when I was pushing it hard into the 180 degree corner. Everywhere else on the track they stuck right where I put them with no drama and what seemed like no effort. I would like to try another brand to compare, but I don't know that I want to put anything else on the car. Maybe I'll talk myself into it. For now, with 3,100 miles and the aforementioned track time, the tread is holding up way better than I could have expected.

I'm including a clip of a few laps from my 4th and final session. Surprisingly, this session included my fastest time of the day, which was 8 seconds faster than my first serious lap of the day.

I continue to be amazed at how good this car is. It isn't just light years above what my 5th Gen Camaro was, but it is such a great bang for the buck car overall. If I had to go back and buy the car again, I would do it in a heartbeat without hesitation. The car is so much fun. Can't wait to get it back out on the track or road again soon.

https://youtu.be/csJcQ1y68Eg
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 02:36 PM   #2
CarFlow1

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 (Summit White)
Inspiring post, great car.
CarFlow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 04:39 PM   #3
Rooster OG

Drives: 2016
Thanks for the review! I'm definitely leaning towards the a10 for myself, I've just been waiting to see if it's going to have issues like the a8, so far so good.
Rooster OG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 12:19 AM   #4
camaro5

Drives: X-15 Velocipede
Superb review.
camaro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 12:25 AM   #5
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Great info. Thanks for taking the time to review in detail.
waterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 05:30 AM   #6
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
very good review!
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:58 AM   #7
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member

Drives: 17 Hyper Blue Metallic KLR-ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector 17 View Post
I just passed 3,100 miles on the car this past weekend. I got it at the end of February, but really only started putting on the miles in April once the weather cleared up. I've done two track days, an autocross event and several longer road trips (500-900 miles). I continue to be not just impressed, but totally blown away by the car in pretty much every aspect. For me, I think the overall drivability regardless of the venue is really amazing.

I know the ZL1 1LE is more track capable, but the harsh ride was a deal-breaker for me. This week is a perfect example why. I had a track day this weekend, but I needed to be in PA and NJ for meetings. I didn't have time to come back home and switch vehicles. So I loaded up all my work gear and all my track gear and headed out for what ended up being a 900 mile road trip. I never got tired or uncomfortable in the car throughout the trip.

The A10 transmission still continues to truly impress me. I did some laps on the track in both manual and fully automatic modes. I like the option of having both. When I really need to concentrate on hitting the line and correcting my position, I put it in auto and let the car handle that part of it. Once I'm done and I want to play more, then I put it in manual. The fact that I can do both has won me over to this automatic transmission after a lifetime of being a manual person. I also felt like while 6-speed manuals were lacking for a "middle gear", I had several to use. When they were hitting the rev limiter or deciding whether to go up a gear, I never had to worry about that.

I had a new revelation on this track day and it refutes some things I've read on here. The brakes on this car are incredible! I was throwing the car into the braking zone in-front of a 180 degree turn between 135 and 145 mph. I was trying my best to start breaking at the 500' mark. By the time I hit the turn-in point, the car was slowed from 135-145 to 45 mph with remarkable control. It did this time after time consistently with no brake fade all day long. I did 4 20 minute sessions in 80-90 degree air temps. Brakes were as strong the last lap as the were the first lap. At first, I had my instructor a little worried coming into the turn that hot. Finally, after a few laps, he said, "holy cow, the brakes on this car are amazing."

The other thing that remains remarkable on this car are the tires. For the road track they really seem to be spot on. They just stick. There was only one turn on the track that they even made a sound and that was when I was pushing it hard into the 180 degree corner. Everywhere else on the track they stuck right where I put them with no drama and what seemed like no effort. I would like to try another brand to compare, but I don't know that I want to put anything else on the car. Maybe I'll talk myself into it. For now, with 3,100 miles and the aforementioned track time, the tread is holding up way better than I could have expected.

I'm including a clip of a few laps from my 4th and final session. Surprisingly, this session included my fastest time of the day, which was 8 seconds faster than my first serious lap of the day.

I continue to be amazed at how good this car is. It isn't just light years above what my 5th Gen Camaro was, but it is such a great bang for the buck car overall. If I had to go back and buy the car again, I would do it in a heartbeat without hesitation. The car is so much fun. Can't wait to get it back out on the track or road again soon.

https://youtu.be/csJcQ1y68Eg
On talking about the brakes. Did you change the fluid, or are you running factory?
Old 07-03-2017, 11:25 AM   #8
Vintage

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
great review - now please move up your braking distance to 200' or less!!!!
Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:33 AM   #9
jbp8653

Drives: 2017 ZL1,2013 ZR1, 1952 C3100 Resto
Nice review!!! Thanks!

2013 ZR1 60th Anniv.

1952 C3100 resto-rod. LS6, 4L60e, 228R cam
jbp8653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:52 AM   #10
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster OG View Post
Thanks for the review! I'm definitely leaning towards the a10 for myself, I've just been waiting to see if it's going to have issues like the a8, so far so good.
I'm really loving it so far and I've had zero issues with it. And trust me, I was super skeptical of an automatic over a manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR ZL1 View Post
On talking about the brakes. Did you change the fluid, or are you running factory?
I replaced the stock fluid with Motul high temp fluid, but everything else it totally standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
great review - now please move up your braking distance to 200' or less!!!!
I'm realizing that early braking is my current issue. Not sure I'm get to 200', but I would definitely like to carry into the 400-500' range with consistency. It's really mind over matter because the brakes on this car definitely have way more to give. If you look at the brake meter in the video, I'm only on them around 1/2 to 2/3. They clearly can take more. I only smelled them getting hot one or two times.
Old 07-03-2017, 12:01 PM   #11
Vintage

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
I only have the SS 1LE, and it will go from 145 mph to 110 degree left hand 2nd gear turn with braking at just under 200'!!! So, I am your lab rat - start braking MUCH later. Just do it 25' closer at a time so you feel safe. Start at 400' and walk up to it slowly. She will do it no problem.
Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:31 PM   #12
lmcgrew79

Drives: '17 Zl1, '16 Viper ACR, '15 CLA 45
My buddy Seth was there in a silver grand sport told me there was a red and gray zl1 there i take it one of them was yours FYI i wouldnt say your braking to early, i would say your over slowing the last 100 ft to turn in! I would have been there but about to head out to watkins glen tomorrow, but not taking the zl1 yet.
lmcgrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:40 PM   #13
MoreSpeed

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
Thanks for sharing!

I think you are spot on about the A10. Fantastic Tech.

Sold 2010 997 GT3, 2016 WRX, 2006 997 C2S, 2003 996 C4S, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 E420 AMG
etc..
MoreSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:42 PM   #14
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
I only have the SS 1LE, and it will go from 145 mph to 110 degree left hand 2nd gear turn with braking at just under 200'!!! So, I am your lab rat - start braking MUCH later. Just do it 25' closer at a time so you feel safe. Start at 400' and walk up to it slowly. She will do it no problem.
Trying to make one more track day at least this year and my goal is to work solely on exactly this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcgrew79 View Post
My buddy Seth was there in a silver grand sport told me there was a red and gray zl1 there i take it one of them was yours FYI i wouldnt say your braking to early, i would say your over slowing the last 100 ft to turn in! I would have been there but about to head out to watkins glen tomorrow, but not taking the zl1 yet.
I saw the silver GS. Nice looking ride. There was a red Camaro with an LSA conversion that was in my class. It sounded so good! I was the gray ZL1. There was also a red Z28 that I saw hiding in the corner, but I never got to see it run. Have fun at the Glen! The ZL1 is so much fun on the track. You're not going to want to miss a track day with it!