Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 03-10-2017, 04:56 PM   #1
speeddemonta

Drives: Trans Am
Comparing the 2017 Corvette to the 2017 Camaro

Trying to compare the different models of the 2017 Corvette and 2017 Camaro is not black and white for me. However, I view the Corvette Grand Sport in competition with the ZL1 Camaro. I realize a lot of people will compare the Corvette ZO6 to the ZL1 Camaro because they have the same engine. However, the price of the faster and better handling ZO6 is CONSIDERABLY more.

When evaluating performance, the ZL1 is faster in a straight line - 0-60 mph, 1/4 mile and top speed. However, the Grand Sport [even without the ZO7 package] does corner better than a ZL1. When evaluating price the Grand Sport 2LT [without the ZO7 package] is approximately $7,600 more than the ZL1.

So I ask, is the Grand Sport worth the price difference??? Did Chevrolet hurt the sales of the Grand Sport with the capable ZL1??
speeddemonta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 05:37 PM   #2
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddemonta View Post
Trying to compare the different models of the 2017 Corvette and 2017 Camaro is not black and white for me. However, I view the Corvette Grand Sport in competition with the ZL1 Camaro. I realize a lot of people will compare the Corvette ZO6 to the ZL1 Camaro because they have the same engine. However, the price of the faster and better handling ZO6 is CONSIDERABLY more.

When evaluating performance, the ZL1 is faster in a straight line - 0-60 mph, 1/4 mile and top speed. However, the Grand Sport [even without the ZO7 package] does corner better than a ZL1. When evaluating price the Grand Sport 2LT [without the ZO7 package] is approximately $7,600 more than the ZL1.

So I ask, is the Grand Sport worth the price difference??? Did Chevrolet hurt the sales of the Grand Sport with the capable ZL1??
No, cus majority of Vette buyers are still going to buy the Vette. They won't walk into the dealership and say.....hey, that Zl1 looks mighty fine. I'll buy it. Just not how it works. If anything, it's the other way around. A Zl1 buyer would walk in, look at the GS and say, holy shit that thing is bad. Then buy the GS. Just saying. You can't go wrong with any of them. It just depends on what best suits you and your needs. I'd go with the Zl1 over the GS tho. I'm in a Z06 now, so it would take me a McLaren to trade up.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:51 PM   #3
Hammerli

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Summit M6 PDR SR ECW
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttxz06 View Post
No, cus majority of Vette buyers are still going to buy the Vette.
Exactly. One of the Docs my wife works with was talking with us the other day, and he said he was buying a Z06, to which I replied that I had just bought a ZL1, and his response was "oh, is that the new lighter weight Corvette, how fast is that?" A Corvette was on his bucket list, and he was not considering Camaros. I would think a majority of people buying Corvettes are doing so in part (probably in large part in most cases), simply because it is a Corvette. I like the Watkins Glen GS with the blue seats and hash marks, in appearance I'd take that over my ZL1... but I wanted to fit 2 kids in it at times, scratch all Corvettes.
Hammerli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 05:56 PM   #4
Sub

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I own mid-level versions of both (loaded z51 c7 and 2ss). I think for most its going to come down to whether they want a back seat, and badge loyalty. There are obvious advantages to both (roof/seat/looks) but the motor/drive-train are similar. However, there is no way my ss is keeping up with my c7 on a track - straight line though, at least on paper, they are pretty similar 0-60 (which comprises 90% of the speeds that matter on public roads).

I'm not really a badge snob, and to be totally honest, for a guy like me that puts value above most other variables, I'm pretty sure I would have had a hard time rationalizing the vette if I had the SS first... its that good.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:14 PM   #5
Cornholio
I need Teepee!

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1LE
^^ very well said. I have owned both and totally agree with your assessment
Cornholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:41 PM   #6
Oldfart

Drives: Silverado, V-70 R
I had to laugh when I read your post OP, I just went out this week & test drove a GS & an SS1LE. That's why I joined the forum. There are no ZL1's around here right now so I figured I'd at least test an SS. I like the look of the Vette a little more, but at 6"3" I'm at the limit of fitting in the car comfortably. Driving the GS with a helmet on would be a bitch, I'm sure I would constantly bump my head, but I won't be tracking that much.

In comparison the SS felt like a van inside for how much more room it has. They both drove great, I thought. The GS had a little lighter/quicker feel to it I thought. I really liked them both.
Oldfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:18 PM   #7
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
My Mom just bought a brand new Corvette Stingray 2LT Z51 automatic in November. I bought a Camaro 2SS 6 speed a month ago.

Would I want to own a Corvette? Yes, in the future. When I can afford two nice cars on my own. She's retired and has the means to keep a Corvette in the garage 4 months out of the year and own another nice car as an every day driver. She has a 2007 Lucerne now but she's going to replace it with either the CT6 or Lexus GS350.

My point is I don't think most people look at a Corvette as an every day driver, whereas the Camaro SS can most certainly be an every day driver even though they have the same engine. Her Corvette is in my garage as my parents have only a 2 car garage...... we're both overly anal retentive about the car. It's a Corvette. I think most people who own one are overly anal retentive about it. I'm careful about my Camaro, but it gets dirty. I drive it. Stuffs going to happen.

If a spec of dust falls on the Corvette's cover I'm dusting it off.

From my perspective I can't see owning a Corvette for every day driving. I know people do, I just can't see it myself.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:27 PM   #8
VCSRT

Drives: Jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
My Mom just bought a brand new Corvette Stingray 2LT Z51 automatic in November. I bought a Camaro 2SS 6 speed a month ago.

Would I want to own a Corvette? Yes, in the future. When I can afford two nice cars on my own. She's retired and has the means to keep a Corvette in the garage 4 months out of the year and own another nice car as an every day driver. She has a 2007 Lucerne now but she's going to replace it with either the CT6 or Lexus GS350.

My point is I don't think most people look at a Corvette as an every day driver, whereas the Camaro SS can most certainly be an every day driver even though they have the same engine. Her Corvette is in my garage as my parents have only a 2 car garage...... we're both overly anal retentive about the car. It's a Corvette. I think most people who own one are overly anal retentive about it. I'm careful about my Camaro, but it gets dirty. I drive it. Stuffs going to happen.

From my perspective I can't see owning a Corvette for every day driving. I know people do, I just can't see it myself.
I guess I'm the opposite. I would daily a Vette, and the price of them are dropping to the point of almost loaded 2SS price points. They're cars, they're meant to be driven, unless its a Ferrari in which case the less miles the better.
VCSRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:34 PM   #9
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
Quote:

True, for the most part, but there are people like me who drive the hell out of our cars. EVERY day. My Z06/7 is my daily and every damn day I'm on the race track. Makes daily driving more enjoyable. But, I'm 40 and want to have as much daily fun as possible while healthy.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:08 AM   #10
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttxz06 View Post
True, for the most part, but there are people like me who drive the hell out of our cars. EVERY day. My Z06/7 is my daily and every damn day I'm on the race track. Makes daily driving more enjoyable. But, I'm 40 and want to have as much daily fun as possible while healthy.
You live in Kentucky. You have far fewer days where it's below 40 and snowing than we do.

Try driving the hell out of your Z06/7 when it's 25 degrees, even if it's sunny and dry, on days like today, without all-season or winter tires. That's what we have in Cleveland pretty much every day from mid-November through April. Our local tracks are CLOSED those months.

I have yet to know what it's like to drive my Camaro on the factory tires. Had all seasons installed the day I picked it up.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 12:18 AM   #11
TopHatPlus
Account Suspended

Drives: 16 2SS NPP MRC
Quote:
You live in Kentucky. You have far fewer days where it's below 40 and snowing than we do.

Try driving the hell out of your Z06/7 when it's 25 degrees, even if it's sunny and dry, on days like today, without all-season or winter tires. That's what we have in Cleveland pretty much every day from mid-November through April. Our local tracks are CLOSED those months.

I have yet to know what it's like to drive my Camaro on the factory tires. Had all seasons installed the day I picked it up.
factory good year eagle f1 ties work great in temperatures as cold as 3 degrees F or -16 C. The only time i had a problem was deep snow or ice. Put a set of tires and rims on for the snow for $1000 and my 2ss is a rocket in any weather...

my best on stock tires at 3 degrees was 0.70 lateral g's
TopHatPlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 12:53 AM   #12
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
I picked up my ZL1 today & told the owner / dealer they owe me commission...

There was a chap looking at a GS & explained to him if I felt my 6' 200lb frame sat a hair more cozy in the GS he was in, it would be mine. The vette just doesn't work for me compared to the ZL1 & recaros. He perked up wen I started explaining being able to carry the speed of the GS into/out of corners although the ZL1 has more giddy up. He started to glow.

I was then asked (while waiting for paperwork) if I would allow a feller to hear the start up to my ZL1...he put a down on the last allocation A10 they had coming.

Both cars are outstanding...you just gotta figure out which is the best for individual owner.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:50 AM   #13
DFW1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Mosiac Black
When I went car shopping, I wanted to test a 1LE, but unfortunately the dealer did not have any in stock or arriving soon, so I test drove a 2SS and liked it a lot. To be sure I wasn't making a mistake, I also test drove a GS, without Z07, and it did not blow me away on the street, but I knew it would on the track. Nevertheless, as an old fart, I didn't find the GS very comfortable compared to the SS, and further I thought the 1LE would be more competitive with the vette on the track, so eventually ended up with the 1LE. Given the comfort and bang for the buck, I couldn't justify the vette. I previously owned a C5 Z51, that was later highly modified for the track.
DFW1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:30 AM   #14
pdiddy972

Drives: 2017 Corvette Stingray Grand Sport
A big draw of the Corvette over the Camaro is not only does it eschew the nigh-unto-useless "back seats", but there are also no "pretender/cheapie" models of Corvettes like the V4 and V6 rental car Camaros and Mustangs. So this makes Corvettes both more prestigious and more rare - if you see one it's always the real deal. Even the base model is both impressive in performance/looks and relatively expensive. I looked at both and went Vette:

pdiddy972 is offline   Reply With Quote