Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 02-27-2017, 04:52 PM   #1
OminouSS

Drives: Red Hot track candy
Steering Loss on the way to 122mph

I'm going to share my OH $#&% moment with my ZL1 friends on the chance (not hope) that somebody else may have experienced the same. In searching threads, I've not found anything quite like what happened to me so I really want to hear from you if you have had anything similar steering situation at any speed or in any condition while driving the ZL1. I don't know why, but I'm under the impression that the rack is unique to the ZL1 and not shared with the 1LE or SS. I could very well be wrong...

Essentially, what occurred: I was coming out of turn #11 at Laguna Seca, driving towards what had become my typical speed down the front straight of 122 mph at the apex of turn #1. At about 110 mph I dive slightly in towards the finish-line ending about a foot from the wall where I usually pick up the final 5-10mph towards turn #2. Only on this lap the feedback on the steering goes completely away on approach and I start drifting anywhere from 1 to 2 feet, left and right. The feeling at the wheel was strong vibration and wobble as if you are losing a wheel. I seriously thought I sheared 4 wheel studs and I was riding out a partial wheel departure.

As I pass the hot-pit wall I try to ease off the pedal slightly to scrub speed, fearing a full lift would surely send my ass end around to lead the car into the gravel or, worst yet, the wall at 100mph+. As I do so, the car starts sending warning chimes and flashing systems messages across the screen. The HUD flashes traction loss indicators, as does the primary screen. Interestingly, you can see the slip warning on the lower right of the PDR at about 94mph and I don't know if that was true slip or consequential to the steering failure. It was like floating at this point.

As speed decreases I can distinctly deduce that the steering rack is going completely bonkers. On video, you can maybe discern the car is going left to right but what you are not seeing is the entire steering wheel wickedly vibrating to the point that it is difficult to hold onto with two hands. As RPM noise is reduced near the 20 second mark on the video (in turn two) you can hear the chimes again indicating on the screen a steering systems failure.

I ran the car through the remaining 9 turns to the hot pits and I had a difficult time about half way through keeping the car in the middle of the track. The only reason I continued is that the corner officials saw my issue and initiated a full course caution, otherwise I would have had to pull off and tow in.

I got the car back to the pits and I put the parking brake on, shifting to neutral. That was where it was obvious that the R&P was in some kind of meltdown. The vibration was even stronger sitting still and made some nasty servo noises. Shutting the car down did not immediately stop the rack from it's convulsing either. I had the car in full shut down and it wasn't until I got out and walked to the front of the car that the system shut itself off, ending the wicked shake.

A visual inspection showed no indications of concern. Nothing. Everything was fine. Fluid levels. Heat level. No debris, impacts, loose nugs, etc. So, I head back to the cockpit thinking a computer reset would help and sure enough, after restart, problem gone.

I took the car out for 10 miles of open road testing to see if I could replicate the problem but everything worked flawlessly. I went back to the pits and inspected the car from the underside and all was well. I am stumped. I headed back out for another practice session and continued with great awareness but nothing happened. The problem essentially resolved itself with a full power down. Not even a code.

I've not learned yet if I can extract more information from within the storage device on the data recorder in the car but i am hopeful there may be answers there or with a full dealer pull.

If there is anybody that has experienced this type of problem and has knowledge to share, please do. While this worked out okay on this day, I am now driving the car in a bit of a defensive manner. The video does not show the chaos that took place in the cockpit this day but I assure you it was no fun stumbling upon the problem during high speeds. I am so freaking thrilled that this track session was during the states huge winter storm so the track was wet and cold all day. The tires never heated up enough to push the car so I was already driving with great caution and much lower speeds.

If it helps, I cut the video below to somewhat provide a setting to the issue. 5 seconds in, I am hit with the loss.

Please respond with any help!!!

Last edited by OminouSS; 02-27-2017 at 04:54 PM. Reason: video embed
OminouSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:00 PM   #2
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Take it in and document. They should still be able to pull the codes set.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:37 PM   #3
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member

Drives: 17 Hyper Blue Metallic KLR-ZL1
Yes what MLEE said. Definitely get it documented and let us know what happens. Another reason to have the PDR.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:48 PM   #4
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
Oh crap...

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:51 PM   #5
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
I wonder if the power steering fluid got cooked?
Old 02-27-2017, 06:51 PM   #6
DFW1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE Mosiac Black
Thats pretty scary. Hope they can ID the problem, otherwise it could effect your confidence on future outings and perhaps even for those who read your post.
DFW1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:54 PM   #7
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan1LTRS View Post
I wonder if the power steering fluid got cooked?
It has electric steering and is not hydraulically assisted.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:54 PM   #8
NB2017ZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1 10 Speed Hyper Blue
Scary stuff right there.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:56 PM   #9
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkPhx View Post
It has electric steering and is not hydraulically assisted.
Didn't know that. Thank you!
Old 02-27-2017, 07:13 PM   #10
vet757

Drives: ^^^This
Im glad youre ok, thats pretty scary.
vet757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 07:48 PM   #11
Evolvedx27

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW1LE View Post
Thats pretty scary. Hope they can ID the problem, otherwise it could effect your confidence on future outings and perhaps even for those who read your post.
^ this
Evolvedx27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:13 PM   #12
2doorrocket

Drives: Gas Guzzlers
Some of the old ones did the same thing, mine did. Almost plowed through a traffic light making a left turn because it died right in the middle of the turn.
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
2016 Dodge Viper ACR Extreme
2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1

Previous Vehicles:
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat (RIP)
2016 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
2015 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T 392 Scat Pack Shaker
2013 Dodge Viper GTS
2013 Dodge Viper GTS Launch Edition
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
2013 Dodge Charger SRT
2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
2012 Dodge Charger SRT
2011 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
2doorrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:27 PM   #13
thompstl1

Drives: 2017 A10 ZL1
Thanks for the heads up, and please keep us up to speed on what you learn.

I plan to run my car in the mile and it's worrisome (to say the least) to think of that occurring at ~180 mph.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:37 PM   #14
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Kinda creepy the gadgetry can cause this & not something mechanical...looking forward to what they pull off the data!!
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
failure, rack & pinion, steering