Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 06-01-2015, 08:32 AM   #1
chipset35

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
2014 1LE vs 2015 Z28

I dropped off my 2014 SS 1LE at my dealership for a warranty repair, and as I waited noticed they had two red 2015 Z28s!

I ran over and began to DROOL over them....and I began to ponder about MAYBE looking into one.

Unfortunately, and please please correct me if I am wrong, but after comparing the two cars, my enthusiasm drained for the Z28.
Here is why...

First off, there is like a $30K price difference between what I paid for my 1LE compared to the Z28s I saw.
My cars sticker price was like $41k + and these Z28s were over $73K!
I realize I paid a few grand less for my 1LE after the salesman gave me discounts, and would expect similar for the Z28, but still...either way we are talking almost a $30k difference!

When I researched the 2 cars I obviously saw the Z28 has a larger front and rear spoiler, added side skirts and fender flares as well as brake ducts, sits lower and has a beefier suspension, different wheels and tires, albiet very similar.
And of course a much larger V8 engine with 505 hp versus my 1LEs 426 hp, and I think the Z28 has better forged internals.

But still a $30K difference?
Also, the Z28 has no fog lights, radio, and one of the 2 had no AC.

As a result, I am just going to maybe purchase the aerodynamic kit Chevy offers for the 1LE that has the Z28 aerodynamic stuff, i.e. larger spoilers and some additional components.

Also, I am pondering getting my car repainted from its present "Rock Red" to the normal regular Chevy Camaro Red (Hot Red?).
As I always liked red cars and that was the first thing that stood out on the Z28s i saw as well as what looked like wider tires?

So...what do you think?
In addtion, am I silly for wanting a red repaint?
And if I do that, its gonna lower the value of my car correct?
I have no plans to sell or trade it though as I love my 1LE.

Please reply as I welcome all yoru feedback.
chipset35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:05 AM   #2
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
1: I wouldn't worry about the power difference. After your warranty is up, or before then if you want, you can turn your LS3 into a 416 stroker that will flick the LS7 into the weeds, power wise at least.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:19 AM   #3
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
If you want a red hot 1LE hen why didn't you just look for one in that color. There should be plenty out there yet. I wouldn't repaint a different color either. Like you stated it would definitely hurt the value. And I know you think you will keep the car forever but most people that say that just after buying a new car won't have that car more than 5 years later.

It takes a lot of work and dedication to keep a car "forever". Over time you will be tempted by the newer models with more power, better handling, etc.. As well as you will likely end up getting bored with the car over time.

Now that doesn't mean you won't be the exception to what most do in the end but as someone who just sold my 2002 Camaro SS with only 48,500 miles on it last November after owning it since brand new for the past 12 years I can tell you that eventually you will be tempted to sell the car.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:50 AM   #4
forklord

Drives: 2010 2SS
The suspension and brake upgrades as well as rims and tires....the ls7...these all equate to damn near the price difference. Youre also paying for the ridiculous amount of engineering that went into this car. Sounds like its not for you.

In saying that, i test drove a new 1le last week and it bored me to death. Ill keep my modded 2SS for now. Id basically have to do all the same mods to be satisfied and all id get out of it is 3.91 gears and slightly better struts.
2010 2SS- 562whp/634wtq 12 psi on3 turbo 78mm magnum /w aem truboost, pat g cam, Kooks 3" catback, Factory Rep 41s with 285/315 20" michelin PSS, Snow Meth, Hex Hood Vents, ZL1 FP & ADM FPCM /w JMS BAP, ID 850s, DSS lvl 4 axles & aluminum 1 piece D/S, Total Pro BMR bushings, fe4 sways, toe rods & trailing arms, Prothane engine mounts, MGW shifter, eaton true trac, mantic 9000 clutch, idealg master cylinder, JDP clutch oil reservoir, ram clutch pedal adjust, Tick clutch & bleed lines, Dewitts Rad
forklord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 03:49 PM   #5
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
You are already pricing the aero package so we'll leave that off the list.

1. The DSSV Struts are a $2,000 bump over the 1LE
2. The brakes are off the chart. A ZL1 brake upgrade will bump you $2,500 and the Carbon Ceramic I'll take a stab at $10,000
3. The rubber is another $1,000 bump
4. Differential half shafts and hubs at all four wheels $3,000

As already mentioned there is the LS7. The Z/28 is a great automobile and it i being discounted to there is clearly value. Building your 1LE into a Z/28 beater can and is being done. To really beat the pants off a Z/28 lap after lap with reliability take some serious coin.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 04:19 PM   #6
SixSpeeder

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Building your 1LE into a Z/28 beater can and is being done. To really beat the pants off a Z/28 lap after lap with reliability take some serious coin.
^ That

Building a 1LE into a Z28 can be done, but it won't add any value to the car, whereas a Z28 will always be worth Z28 money. If you're planning on keeping the car forever, then yeah, maybe it can make sense financially to modify it yourself. If you're going to sell it a few years down the road, don't count on making your money back even if you perfectly retrofit every Z28 part that you can, it still won't be worth what a Z28 is or worth the cost of the mods and labor.

Repainting your car will not add any value when you go to sell it, and will possibly take away from the pool of buyers who would be interested in your car since red is a hit-or-miss color compared to other more neutral colors as far as people wanting it.

How much money are you willing to spend, and how much money are you willing to lose when/if you sell the car? It sounds like you're more interested in the visual attributes of the Z28 rather than all of the performance bits, right?

SixSpeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 05:33 PM   #7
GossipSquirrelJelena
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT. Supercharged.
Just another justification thread. The ZL1 and Z28 are top dogs. The 1le is to the Z28 what the SS is to the ZL1.
GossipSquirrelJelena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:49 PM   #8
Drumminxx

Drives: 2014 2SS RS 1LE
I know how you feel. I went to see a new Z06 the other day but couldn't take my eyes off the Z28 parked next to it. I already have the ZL1 rockers on mine but after seeing the Z28...... I had recently put on front wind deflectors and rock guards to try and capture that wide beefy look. Still not quit the same though. I must have a thing for skinny women and wide cars...lol
Old 06-01-2015, 08:51 PM   #9
43Camaro

Drives: [COTW 8/3/15] 2010 Camaro SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by GossipSquirrelJelena View Post
Just another justification thread. The ZL1 and Z28 are top dogs. The 1le is to the Z28 what the SS is to the ZL1.
Numerous people on this board like to build a car up the way they want it. I do 100 % of the work on my car! minus the tune. So for many who wrench, the ZL1 and Z28 or not good choices. Many members have more money in the builds than the sticker of a ZL1, I agree it will never be a Z28 or ZL1, but I got my hands dirty and won't trade that for a Z28 or any other car. I'm sure many people feel that way on this forum.

I'm not envious of these owners, actually very happy for them. But I would rather start with a low milegage SS used and build a monster my way with my hands. Diffrent strokes for diffrent people. The memories of building my car with my son are worth more than any Z28.

Just my perspective.

43Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:12 PM   #10
Phenix

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS/RS 1LE
The Z/28 is worth the price difference. But when it's time to replace those tires and brakes you're definitely gonna feel the expense of that car all over again. Like others have said, you can modify your 1LE to hang with a Z/28 while using steel rotors but the same or similar tires. You're still gonna pay a lot to get there... And if you're not tracking the car it isn't worth doing all of it... And if you are tracking your car you gotta figure out how to deal with the heat or else you'll only be keeping up with the Z for about a lap...

As far as the paint job- don't paint it. If anything maybe vinyl wrap it; there's a gloss vinyl from 3M that is almost an exact match to Red Hot. Somebody here on the forums posted a two-tone wrap using it not long ago. The only time it's ever worth it to paint a car is when the paint that's on it is trashed, even if you don't plan on selling it. A well done color change paint job is very expensive and results in a lot of down time. And after spending that much money and time on it, the first time you get a rock chip you're gonna want to lay down in the road and have a good cry.
Phenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:17 PM   #11
62nalide

Drives: 2013 SS
IMO the Z-28 is not worth the price difference track car or not, Ford pretty much will shut GM up with the GT350 and GT350R. The 1LEs are pretty sweet cars and just add some power to them I think they are better then the Z28 for the money. Just sharing my opinion no need to flame it.
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:29 PM   #12
94tagt

Drives: Pontiac Trans Am
Wow, did someone ever miss out on the Dec 2014 fire sale were Z/28s were $55k.
94tagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:01 PM   #13
backeddy
Banned

Drives: 2011 Boxster Spyder (best car ever)
Quote:
The Z/28 is worth the price difference. But when it's time to replace those tires and brakes you're definitely gonna feel the expense of that car all over again. Like others have said, you can modify your 1LE to hang with a Z/28 while using steel rotors but the same or similar tires. You're still gonna pay a lot to get there... And if you're not tracking the car it isn't worth doing all of it...
Alright, time to jump in on this...Unless you are serious and I mean serious about tracking, you will probably never even get close to the limits on the 1LE, let alone the Z28. I am not a pro driver, nor claim to be one, but I can probably scare the shit out of most Camaro "drivers" on Laguna Seca, no matter which model they drive. I am always at the limits on the track and I know Laguna inside out and that can be a scary combination for those who aren't at that level. Unless you are willing to slide across the track, from rumble strip to rumble strip, around a turn at 100mph +(like I do, lap after lap), there is NO REASON you NEED a Z28.

Last edited by backeddy; 06-01-2015 at 11:51 PM.
backeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:16 AM   #14
GossipSquirrelJelena
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT. Supercharged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Camaro View Post
Numerous people on this board like to build a car up the way they want it. I do 100 % of the work on my car! minus the tune. So for many who wrench, the ZL1 and Z28 or not good choices. Many members have more money in the builds than the sticker of a ZL1, I agree it will never be a Z28 or ZL1, but I got my hands dirty and won't trade that for a Z28 or any other car. I'm sure many people feel that way on this forum.

I'm not envious of these owners, actually very happy for them. But I would rather start with a low milegage SS used and build a monster my way with my hands. Diffrent strokes for diffrent people. The memories of building my car with my son are worth more than any Z28.

Just my perspective.
So do that and enjoy your memories! But don't make a thread about why in your mind your car is better than a Z28 or a ZR1. Throwing 30 grand worth of mods on an SS doesn't make it as valuable as the cars your trying to be better than.
GossipSquirrelJelena is offline   Reply With Quote