The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Technical Forums > LT1 (6.2L V8) Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions

Old 02-28-2013, 08:33 AM   #1
BWF07

Drives: 2007 Corvette Coupe
Possible Issue With DI (direct injection)

I found a post on another forum and found it interesting and also a little alarming. It seems that the Direct Injection can cause carbon deposits to build up over a semi short period of time on the intake valve. This can cause a loss of power. There are documented reports on the BMW, the Audi and the VW, so I would think that it happens on other DI engines. It appears that the assistant GM engineer for V6 engines is aware of the problem.

here is a link to the article, http://www.edmunds.com/autoobserver-...-adopters.html

I would hope that with GM being aware of this potential problem, and with over 6,000 CPU hours spent on the LT1 combustion chamber design they have addressed thsis
BWF07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:36 AM   #2
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
It should be fine since GM does not have a problem with buildup on the V6 engines. I would also assume that the LT1 doesn't have a problem because of its extensive combustion testing.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #3
MMC

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS, 1987 & 2014 Silverado
They all have issues with DI because the fuel never flows over the valves to clean them. This is why many people are using catch cans to keep the oil out of the intake and off the valves. I believe the LT1 is addressing the PCV problem but only time will tell.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:35 PM   #4
volsfan0911

Drives: '10 GTI for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC View Post
They all have issues with DI because the fuel never flows over the valves to clean them. This is why many people are using catch cans to keep the oil out of the intake and off the valves. I believe the LT1 is addressing the PCV problem but only time will tell.
in the MT interview, Tadge & the powertrain team were asked specifically about that. Their solution is an improved air/oil separation along with the better PCV. They claim that they haven't seen deposits on their engines yet and that the above measures will solve the problem.

I own a 2010 GTI and with 47,000 miles I can almost guarantee you my valves are gunked up but good. Dieseling noise is significantly louder and I'm down on power from being first chipped 2 years ago. Both are classic symptoms so I definitely have a vested interest in hoping they've solved the problem. VW/Audi has not to date.
volsfan0911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #5
RocketCutlass
Property USMC

Drives: 95 Caprice 9C1
Would it be safe to seafoam the intake with the car running on a DI motor?
RocketCutlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:52 AM   #6
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWF07 View Post
I found a post on another forum and found it interesting and also a little alarming. It seems that the Direct Injection can cause carbon deposits to build up over a semi short period of time on the intake valve. This can cause a loss of power. There are documented reports on the BMW, the Audi and the VW, so I would think that it happens on other DI engines. It appears that the assistant GM engineer for V6 engines is aware of the problem.

here is a link to the article, http://www.edmunds.com/autoobserver-...-adopters.html

I would hope that with GM being aware of this potential problem, and with over 6,000 CPU hours spent on the LT1 combustion chamber design they have addressed thsis
All new technologies have their advantages and disadvantages. Carbon build up is an issue in all engines (even the current LS engines) but it is particularly bad in the new generation of DI engines because fuel never flows over the intake valves (or in some cases in a very limited amount). The key is to get an effective catch can in place as soon as possible. The good news is that since you are aware ahead of time you can be prepared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
It should be fine since GM does not have a problem with buildup on the V6 engines. I would also assume that the LT1 doesn't have a problem because of its extensive combustion testing.
On the contrary, the LLT and LFX actually do suffer greatly from carbon build up.

Last edited by Apex Motorsports; 10-11-2013 at 02:03 PM.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #7
sho928

Drives: Porsche 928 S4, Mustang GT vert
My 1976 Chevy Nova 6-cyl Company Car required removal of head every 50K miles to de-carbon as part of the recommended maintenance.

It appears what is old is new again
sho928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:09 PM   #8
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
On the contrary, the LLT and LFX actually do suffer greatly from carbon build up.
Chase is correct. We have serious issues with carbon build up without a (good) catch can.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:37 PM   #9
GQ4Life

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
yeah that was an issue in the DI cobalts..
oil catch can and spraying some 75% meth should help keep mine clean..
2015 Corvette Z06.. Lime Rock Park 1:01; Watkins Glen 2:14; Thompson Speedway 1:21
GQ4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:55 AM   #10
Hancock

Drives: Blk Z51 NPP J6F Q7T Red Interior
Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ4Life View Post
yeah that was an issue in the DI cobalts..
oil catch can and spraying some 75% meth should help keep mine clean..
Pardon my ignorance, but can some of you more auto savvy types explain what exactly a catch can is, or those of you who currently are using one, provide pictures? Thanks a lot in advance.
Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:28 AM   #11
GQ4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancock View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but can some of you more auto savvy types explain what exactly a catch can is, or those of you who currently are using one, provide pictures? Thanks a lot in advance.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754710

2015 Corvette Z06.. Lime Rock Park 1:01; Watkins Glen 2:14; Thompson Speedway 1:21
Old 06-24-2013, 06:08 PM   #12
Hancock

Awesome thank you GQ.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:13 PM   #13
GQ4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancock View Post
Awesome thank you GQ.
Thats what we're here for..
Old 06-25-2013, 09:28 AM   #14
Hancock

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ4Life View Post
Thats what we're here for..
Now you've inspired me to push your generosity. Will just about anyone do this kind of work? Does it void warranties? and what kind of cost are we talking about with something like this, including labor?