Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

Phastek Performance

Old 02-12-2017, 02:59 PM   #1
blpadge2

Drives: 2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS
Broken tonneau

Hope you guys can help or else it is a trip to the dealer.

Got a 2016 2SS convertible that I bought back in Oct. We have a few spring like days this winter so out would come the car and down would come the top.

Every time I would cycle the top I would hear a popping noise (plastic popping sound), but I couldn't figure out what it was.

Today I finally diagnosed it. The plastic piece of the tonneau on the driver's side that was under the B-pillar area was not retracting when ever the top was being raised, and the popping sound was the frame arm slipping past the tab that it is supposed to push the piece forward. I got the piece out of the car, but reinstalling it is a bitch and no matter what I try the piece will not retract. The one on the passengers side goes down with only slight hand pressure.

Thanks.
blpadge2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 04:37 PM   #2
blpadge2

Update. Well after dropping the main spring that moves the piece down into the convertible well where I can't find it, I tried just putting the piece back into place without a spring and the PoS will still not slide.

Over to the dealer on Saturday.

Remind me again when I thought it would be a good idea to buy a first model year of a new Chevy design. 88 Beretta GT, 95 Camaro convertible V-6 and now this one.
Old 02-12-2017, 04:52 PM   #3
HyperBlueX2

Drives: '22 Silverado 2500HD Duramax LTZ
Zero issues with mine......
Old 02-13-2017, 04:44 AM   #4
Kencamaro

Drives: 2016 Nightfall 2lt 3.6 convertible
I have the same problem
One of my springs fell into the car as well
I'll be taking it to the dealer in the next few weeks
I removed the passenger side plastic completely
Hopefully they are a blur to fix it
Kencamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 06:37 PM   #5
blpadge2

Took mine in today. Will let you know how it goes.

Good news is this is warranty work, and dealer gave me a loaner.

Bad news is that it is a Malibu.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:36 PM   #6
robbie52

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Have had same issue with the drivers side cover sticking and not closing when tip is down. Took it in today to check the rear end and get this fixed. Will see how it goes.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:11 PM   #7
robbie52

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Could not fix the issue today, they had to order a new assembly due to issues with the track.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:47 PM   #8
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie52 View Post
Could not fix the issue today, they had to order a new assembly due to issues with the track.

Thanks for the heads up on this guys. I'm not certain if the service dept. will provide a known update ( potential new parts, recall etc) or offer advice to proactively mitigate the issue(s) you're having. If so, please share with the group...I'd love to not have to bring my car in to repair damage I may be able to prevent. It's bad enough knowing there's a real good potential of diff, torque converter and NPP issues ( I have NPP issues at less than a 1000miles). Luck of the draw I guess...

Best of luck and hope all works out!

Last edited by Chutzpah; 02-21-2017 at 06:09 PM.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:01 PM   #9
blpadge2

Hoping to get mine back tomorrow. Parts were due in today. Been a week since it hit the shop. And of course it is raining tomorrow.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:27 AM   #10
camaromike77

Drives: S O L D
Quote:
Originally Posted by blpadge2 View Post
Hoping to get mine back tomorrow. Parts were due in today. Been a week since it hit the shop. And of course it is raining tomorrow.
Please keep us posted........ "Knock on wood", so far mine is good.......

Drive that Malibu like you stole it......
Borla S-Type exhaust NPP| GM CAI | Color matched GM side skirts | Color matched 3rd brake light | Big Worm Graphics smoked out tail lights & rear reflectors | Oracle ghosted side markers | LED License plate bulbs | Door striker covers | Jam handle | Engine emblems from RiverCity Creations | 50th Center Console | Black bow ties | Hawk Performance ceramic brake pads | ZL1 Start button | CQuartz ceramic paint finish | Novistretch bra | S O L D
camaromike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:56 PM   #11
blpadge2

Nope no luck. Got a phone call before lunch that they had to order another part, and they hope to have it ready tomorrow.

Hmm, 1.5L turbo Malibu vs. my 6.2L Camaro with Bose audio. No contest. Ready to be shed of it. Hell, I'd prefer to drive my Silverado, but it is the principal of putting miles on the company car until my baby is back.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:52 PM   #12
blpadge2

Latest update.

The 2nd part that was to be ordered yesterday and in by today doesn't exist. The service reps words were "that GM didn't expect that to break under warranty and doesn't have any pieces in stock in any parts depot. Either they will have to have the vendor fabricate one just for me, or they will have to get one off the assembly line in Lansing."

At this point the service rep wanted me out of the loaner until his parts manager could track down the piece. He said the car would be fine to drive except not to put the top down and for me to come pick it up until then. WTF? Why did I just spend an extra 5K to begin with, plus this weekend will again be perfect ragtop weather. I'm like I live 45 min from the dealership and with my job I just can't knock off at the drop of a hat and run the car back and forth to the service bay. So at least I made them delivery the car since I had no desire to waste 2 hours time getting it back and it it still not working.

I mean it was nice to have my V8 rumble back driving home from work, but now it is going back in my garage until whenever GM gets off their @$$ and gets the part I need to the dealer. And I will be eating the dealer's phone line up until they get my car right.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:44 AM   #13
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by blpadge2 View Post
Latest update.

The 2nd part that was to be ordered yesterday and in by today doesn't exist. The service reps words were "that GM didn't expect that to break under warranty and doesn't have any pieces in stock in any parts depot. Either they will have to have the vendor fabricate one just for me, or they will have to get one off the assembly line in Lansing."

At this point the service rep wanted me out of the loaner until his parts manager could track down the piece. He said the car would be fine to drive except not to put the top down and for me to come pick it up until then. WTF? Why did I just spend an extra 5K to begin with, plus this weekend will again be perfect ragtop weather. I'm like I live 45 min from the dealership and with my job I just can't knock off at the drop of a hat and run the car back and forth to the service bay. So at least I made them delivery the car since I had no desire to waste 2 hours time getting it back and it it still not working.

I mean it was nice to have my V8 rumble back driving home from work, but now it is going back in my garage until whenever GM gets off their @$$ and gets the part I need to the dealer. And I will be eating the dealer's phone line up until they get my car right.
Hi blpadge2,

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused by this tonneau concern, and can understand your frustration with the proper parts for repair being unavailable. If it'd be of interest, we'd be more than willing to get in contact with your dealership to look into this matter further.

Please send us a private message including your VIN, full contact information, current mileage, and involved dealer so that we may best assist. To learn more about GM’s privacy policy, you can visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html.

We look forward to hearing from you,

Angela O.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 02-24-2017, 11:00 AM   #14
CyberGuyPR

Drives: '16 vert 2LT RS NPP
"GM didn't expect that to break under warranty"

Where I come from they call this gambling.
CyberGuyPR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plastic, replace, retract, stuck, tonneau