Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 06-02-2015, 07:32 AM   #15
chipset35

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSpeeder View Post
^ That

How much money are you willing to spend, and how much money are you willing to lose when/if you sell the car? It sounds like you're more interested in the visual attributes of the Z28 rather than all of the performance bits, right?
That is correct, as I dont race at the track or race at all.
chipset35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:49 AM   #16
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
[QUOTE=backeddy[/QUOTE]

Well said, I looked at vetts and ZL1's and GT500's and Boss 302's, SRT8's. But really I ended up where I did because I wanted V8 sound and feel, and I liked the look of the 1LE and the Value of it. I will never see past 50% of this cars potential and that's for about 3-4 seconds at most. This car will spend 99.9% of its life using 10-20% of its ability. But it makes me smile every time I drive it and I fell like I am not wasting more money then I can afford to on it.
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 12:54 PM   #17
chipset35

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
Well said, I looked at vetts and ZL1's and GT500's and Boss 302's, SRT8's. But really I ended up where I did because I wanted V8 sound and feel, and I liked the look of the 1LE and the Value of it. I will never see past 50% of this cars potential and that's for about 3-4 seconds at most. This car will spend 99.9% of its life using 10-20% of its ability. But it makes me smile every time I drive it and I fell like I am not wasting more money then I can afford to on it.
Yep, the 1LE is a gem, no reason to buy an SS unless its a 1LE, other than if you are the type of person who mods their own cars.
But I can tell you after test driving them over a year ago, it was 1LE all the WAY!
chipset35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:03 AM   #18
MRREVINTO7

Drives: 14 1Le --14 chevy ss sedan 07shelby
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62nalide View Post
IMO the Z-28 is not worth the price difference track car or not, Ford pretty much will shut GM up with the GT350 and GT350R. The 1LEs are pretty sweet cars and just add some power to them I think they are better then the Z28 for the money. Just sharing my opinion no need to flame it.
This guy always calls it like it is and is definitely an educated guy , you know your stuff bro I love your responses as we are identical in thought process I always go to answer on threads my opinion and I always fine you say what I would have but you beat me to it ..also seems your very honest about all brands even if not a Camaro you say the educated honest truth ..
MRREVINTO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:58 AM   #19
pgviper

Drives: 67 Pro Touring Camaro
Send a message via AIM to pgviper
Z/28 can be had practically new for between $61k and $65k. For that price, you get:

- extra $10k of motor
- $8k worth of brakes
- aero, gearing, exhaust, intake, suspension, PTM tuning, wheels, tires etc... the list goes on.

If you don't think the z/28 is hell of a value just like the 1LE, then you are either stupid, ignorant or jealous. Both cars are fantastic values for what they are however at different levels of performance.
pgviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:27 AM   #20
Taco Time

Drives: 2014 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62nalide View Post
IMO the Z-28 is not worth the price difference track car or not, Ford pretty much will shut GM up with the GT350 and GT350R. The 1LEs are pretty sweet cars and just add some power to them I think they are better then the Z28 for the money. Just sharing my opinion no need to flame it.
Agreed. I would rather mod a 1LE than have a Z/28. I could never justify that kind of money on a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRREVINTO7 View Post
This guy always calls it like it is and is definitely an educated guy , you know your stuff bro I love your responses as we are identical in thought process I always go to answer on threads my opinion and I always fine you say what I would have but you beat me to it ..also seems your very honest about all brands even if not a Camaro you say the educated honest truth ..
Kiss him on the mouth. Just kidding man, I usually agree with what he says too. He can just write it better than me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgviper View Post
Z/28 can be had practically new for between $61k and $65k. For that price, you get:

- extra $10k of motor
- $8k worth of brakes
- aero, gearing, exhaust, intake, suspension, PTM tuning, wheels, tires etc... the list goes on.

If you don't think the z/28 is hell of a value just like the 1LE, then you are either stupid, ignorant or jealous. Both cars are fantastic values for what they are however at different levels of performance.
I think the Z is an amazing car, but I'd never be interested in one (1. can't afford it if I wanted it. 2. I don't think a car should cost as much as a house... LOL.)

Another thing to consider as a reason I wouldn't get the Z/28, even if I were to track my car, my skill level is such that I could never appreciate the features that the Z offers over the 1LE. Heck, I'm probably at a Mazda Miata skill level. What's the point of a $70k race car if I still need training wheels?
Taco Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:49 AM   #21
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Unless you make your living driving, nobody NEEDS an SS, 1LE, ZL1 or Z/28. An LS is still a Camaro, and that's all you NEED to have a Camaro. The 1LE is perfectly fine!!!

Everything else is a WANT. No matter what anyone says. Everything else described as a need is BS to me. My dream Camaro was a ZL1 convertible manual. I have that now. It feels right for me. The balance of comfortable street driving and great power levels for a stock street car is a great compromise.

I can afford a Z/28, however, I cannot justify the cost difference between a ZL1 and Z/28 because I am not, nor ever will be, the type of driver the Z/28 deserves to squeeze every performance drop out of it in stock form. If I had one it would be a track car stuck on the street. Simple injustice.

Putting power adders on a Z/28 is simply an ego booster. I'd guess over half the people that have a Z/28 don't (or can't) drive it to the level where the car thrives. But the fact remains the Z/28 is one of the coolest Camaros on the planet.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:59 AM   #22
DavidCorsaro
Hamfist Racing

Drives: '15 Z/28
1LE is an excellent street car, okay for light track use out of the box.
Z/28 is an excellent track car, okay for light street use out of the box.

Without mag ride between the two, neither are proper dual purpose machines like some other high end vehicles offered nowadays.

I love my 1LE, but I know its limitations. The Z/28 is the base car you want if you're doing track days... without question. The brakes on the SS is its Achilles heel. My next car will have a brake setup not unlike the Z/28.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:55 PM   #23
Joseph1LE

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS 1LE, 2001 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidCorsaro View Post

Without mag ride between the two, neither are proper dual purpose machines like some other high end vehicles offered nowadays.

I love my 1LE, but I know its limitations. The Z/28 is the base car you want if you're doing track days... without question. The brakes on the SS is its Achilles heel. My next car will have a brake setup not unlike the Z/28.
I think saying the 1LE is only good for "light" track use is a bit of an understatement.... It's extremely capable. Yet to get mine to a track day yet but on the street I've taken corners and highway entries pulling in excess of 1G and it just felt almost effortless. Car just hugs the road so well. So while I agree with the contrast of the 1LE being more of a street car and the Z28 being more of a track car, I don't agree to the extent that you went to. I agree that neither are ideal dual purpose cars.

Also how are the brakes a problem...? The 4 piston Brembos have repeatedly proven themselves to be extremely stout on the track. Theres been several comparisons and track cars I've seen in which the 4 pistons were preferred over the 6 piston Brembos. Magazine tests stop distances with the 1LE are impressive as well.... It stops faster than the lighter Track Pack Mustang with 6 piston Brembos and 15 inch rotors... Again I think you're exaggerating a bit here. Too call the brakes an achilles heel is a bit extreme when these brakes have proven themselves not only on the Camaro but on many other cars as well.

2015 Camaro SS 1LE- sold
2001 Camaro SS SOM M6- sold
1999 Firebird Formula A4- sold
Joseph1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:01 PM   #24
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Camaro View Post
Numerous people on this board like to build a car up the way they want it. I do 100 % of the work on my car! minus the tune. So for many who wrench, the ZL1 and Z28 or not good choices. Many members have more money in the builds than the sticker of a ZL1, I agree it will never be a Z28 or ZL1, but I got my hands dirty and won't trade that for a Z28 or any other car. I'm sure many people feel that way on this forum.

I'm not envious of these owners, actually very happy for them. But I would rather start with a low milegage SS used and build a monster my way with my hands. Diffrent strokes for diffrent people. The memories of building my car with my son are worth more than any Z28.

Just my perspective.
^^^
I'm in the same camp. My 2SS was built to be a combo of 1LE/ZL1. Did the majority of the work myself minus tune...

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:28 PM   #25
BradfordCamaro
SABIO

Drives: 2016 CAMARO 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
I will never see past 50% of this cars potential and that's for about 3-4 seconds at most. This car will spend 99.9% of its life using 10-20% of its ability. But it makes me smile every time I drive it and I fell like I am not wasting more money then I can afford to on it.

THIS.

We all wish we are 'Racers'. But spirited driving is not racing. Finding a long windy road is not racing. Peeling out from a stoplight is not racing.

1LE is more than 95% will ever need and will most likely never use.
BradfordCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:37 PM   #26
Pushrod Pete

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidCorsaro View Post

dont mean to derail this thread, but i noticed your signature. according to some guy named pill on the mustang forums, 1LEs are "trash" in SCCA F street...
Pushrod Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:58 PM   #27
Bizaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Redhot 1LE
I need a Formula1 for street cred at cars and coffee
Bizaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:12 PM   #28
DavidCorsaro
Hamfist Racing

Drives: '15 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph1LE View Post
I think saying the 1LE is only good for "light" track use is a bit of an understatement.... It's extremely capable. Yet to get mine to a track day yet but on the street I've taken corners and highway entries pulling in excess of 1G and it just felt almost effortless. Car just hugs the road so well. So while I agree with the contrast of the 1LE being more of a street car and the Z28 being more of a track car, I don't agree to the extent that you went to. I agree that neither are ideal dual purpose cars.

Also how are the brakes a problem...? The 4 piston Brembos have repeatedly proven themselves to be extremely stout on the track. Theres been several comparisons and track cars I've seen in which the 4 pistons were preferred over the 6 piston Brembos. Magazine tests stop distances with the 1LE are impressive as well.... It stops faster than the lighter Track Pack Mustang with 6 piston Brembos and 15 inch rotors... Again I think you're exaggerating a bit here. Too call the brakes an achilles heel is a bit extreme when these brakes have proven themselves not only on the Camaro but on many other cars as well.
You cannot use a magazine test as a lone metric for braking capability on a road course. Some of us drive harder and brake deeper than others. Do that fifty, a hundred or more times in one session compared to someone with a lighter foot and less nuts. I'll leave it at that.