Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 05-24-2018, 04:28 AM   #57
Rich J

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Manual
Just found a video posted last week on YouTube that gives a sense of the Zl1 1LE ride quality on the sort of pavement I commute on. Seems like the compression valving is really high and therefore the ride is very choppy:

https://youtu.be/oSzAL-LHBlw

Last edited by Rich J; 05-24-2018 at 04:49 AM.
Rich J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:55 AM   #58
Badgerbimmer

Drives: ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
And the other person was replying to somebody else who made a blanket statement that ZL1 has 200lb extra on the nose. Which is incorrect.
Precisely. Obviously to make apples to apples comparison the weight difference I was noting was manual to manual, I didn't say anything about my car. Its also matters greatly where the weight difference is. Based on the data I found the LT4 engine weighs 60 lbs more. Another 60 lbs is in the tranny at in the middlish at the bottom of the car. Also we aren't talking spec miata's, we are talking 3,800 lb street cars, 150 or 200 lbs is virtually irrelevant when spread through the car.
2012 Audi S4
1992 Porsche America Roadster
1990 BMW 325Ic

Last edited by Badgerbimmer; 05-24-2018 at 07:21 AM.
Badgerbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 07:00 AM   #59
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Does anyone tracked the 6th. gen. SS 1LE and the ZL1 (non 1LE) and compare them?
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:45 AM   #60
Rich J

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Manual
OP here. I’m going to be saying goodbye to the 1LE forum soon. I traded my Cayman for a new ZL1 manual (not a 1LE) yesterday and my V6 1LE will be up for sale imminently. The new car is just awesome to drive and so extremely comfortable. I back to back test drove an SS 1LE against the ZL1 and there was a huge difference in responsiveness and torquiness (and sound) even in the daily driving RPM range. You can really throw the ZL1 around with your right foot. For now, the V6 1LE and the ZL1 can bench race each other in the garage 🙂
Attached Images

Rich J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:41 AM   #61
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich J View Post
OP here. I’m going to be saying goodbye to the 1LE forum soon. I traded my Cayman for a new ZL1 manual (not a 1LE) yesterday and my V6 1LE will be up for sale imminently. The new car is just awesome to drive and so extremely comfortable. I back to back test drove an SS 1LE against the ZL1 and there was a huge difference in responsiveness and torquiness (and sound) even in the daily driving RPM range. You can really throw the ZL1 around with your right foot. For now, the V6 1LE and the ZL1 can bench race each other in the garage 🙂
Congrats!!! Enjoy the beast
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 08:43 AM   #62
devnull
Scientific negotiator

Drives: 2019 Grand Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Congrats!!! Enjoy the beast
agreed! NICE CAR!!!
devnull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:03 PM   #63
Matos1LE

Drives: SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich J View Post
To me, the real problem with an overly stiff suspension is that most cars will develop rattles if the impacts are too harsh and not absorbed by the suspension. I can deal with a stiff suspension (my Evo coilovers are more than triple the stock rates), but I can’t deal with a brand new $60k car loosening up in a year or two because I’m abusing it on the expressway. Speaking from experience, solid mounts and spherical linkages don’t like rough roads and will develop play and rattles much quicker than softer bushings. I really doubt the Chevy dealer would be too receptive if you brought your 2 year old 20k mile ZL1 1LE in for a warranty repair to fix a rattling dashboard, window or suspension linkage.
My comment was more towards someone saying it was BS that a ZL1 1LE could be used as a daily. My truck was on the harshest coilovers for the longest (circa 7 years) and didn't actually develop any rattles, it is a Tacoma though... aka indestructible.
Matos1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 10:24 PM   #64
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matos1LE View Post
My truck was on the harshest coilovers for the longest (circa 7 years) and didn't actually develop any rattles

Ok, that proves that your truck didn't develop any rattles with solid suspension.

What does that mean for every other car and situation?

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 04:05 PM   #65
GuywithL86

Drives: Black
Cars should be balanced in handling and power.

IMO SS 1le is not balanced, the handling far exceeds the power (pretty impressive with 455hp)

ZL1 is just right
GuywithL86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:22 PM   #66
Matos1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Ok, that proves that your truck didn't develop any rattles with solid suspension.

What does that mean for every other car and situation?
Hence why I mentioned it's a Tacoma and pretty much indestructible... or did you not read that far? Also, manufacturers don't just slap suspension on a car, they run it through reliability tests, validations, etc. Pretty sure ZL1 1LEs will be just fine.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:47 PM   #67
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Hence why I mentioned it's a Tacoma and pretty much indestructible... or did you not read that far? Also, manufacturers don't just slap suspension on a car, they run it through reliability tests, validations, etc. Pretty sure ZL1 1LEs will be just fine.
Right, and I bet it drives through snow awesome too.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:52 PM   #68
Matos1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
Right, and I bet it drives through snow awesome too.
Designed to be a sports car, not a snow plow. When you design a product, intended use is one of the constraints... Oh, and I live in Florida... wtf is snow? rofl
Old 06-05-2018, 08:09 AM   #69
GuywithL86

Drives: Black
Quote:
To you and to all.

I rented an absolutely punished ‘16 camaro ss from avis

22k miles, a cracked rim, interior rips, tons of dings, pulled to one side.

Not a single rattle, was as rock solid as a brand new car.

Rattles are more to do with chassis stiffness. The flex in the chassis causes joints to become loose.

My mustang GT at 30k miles felt like a 100k mile car by comparison.

This is actually the thing I was most impressed about with the camaro. The lack of rattles.
GuywithL86 is offline   Reply With Quote