Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 03-19-2018, 08:18 AM   #1
nbostaph

Drives: Yellow 2014 2SS Convertible
Convertible top won't go down (close cargo shade message)

I recently upgraded my stereo system, and as part of that process I installed the Subthumb stealth box in the trunk. This required me to remove the cargo shade. After doing so, I tested the convertible top and everything worked fine, just like Steve said it would.

Over the past month it's been far too cold to put the top down so I haven't touched it again, though I have been playing with the sound system (which involved disconnecting/connecting the battery a few times. Yesterday I tried to put the top down and got an error message that I needed to close the cargo shade. I tried multiple times, even after reseating the sub and the trunk a few times, but without success; the motor makes a sound like it's running but the top doesn't move and the dash screen displays the error message.

I don't recall what I had to do to remove the shade; whether there was a wire or not. Though I'm also not sure why it would stop working if it was working find with an unplugged wire before. Is there any sort of software reset that needs done after connecting a battery before you can put the top down? Has anyone else run into anything similar before? The weather is still ugly, but I'd like to be ready when we finally do get a day after 60.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
nbostaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 05:13 PM   #2
nbostaph

So we went through and checked all the fuses and all were fine. I tried jumping the cable that was connected to the shade holder thingy, and it didn't help. We tried checking to see if there was any current at all in it with a voltemeter, but it read nothing. So as a last ditch effort we disconnected and pulled out the sub box, put the side panel back in and connected the wires, and tried with the cargo shade closed...the car still refuses to put the top down!

The only thing we could think was that there was some error code stuck. So I got an OBD2 reader and connected that. It listed no error codes. I tried clearing all error codes anyway. Still didn't help. The top still won't go down.

I'm out of ideas. Any suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated. I now have a convertible that seems doomed to live its live as a coupe.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:44 PM   #3
SharpOldNo7

Drives: 2015 2LT RS Convertible
The shade on my 2015 was replaced under warranty and the best I can remember is that there are no wires connected to the shade. I’m not sure how it knows if the shade is closed or not other than possibly having some type of magnet on the ends of the shade rod that detects when the rod is placed in its holder.
SharpOldNo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 09:39 AM   #4
nbostaph

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpOldNo7 View Post
The shade on my 2015 was replaced under warranty and the best I can remember is that there are no wires connected to the shade. I’m not sure how it knows if the shade is closed or not other than possibly having some type of magnet on the ends of the shade rod that detects when the rod is placed in its holder.
I think that's exactly how it works. My shade had no wires, but there was a wire going to the driver's side shade holder. I assume it is a relay that opens when the shade is placed on it.

When I unplugged the wire it still worked, which indicates to me that the computer looks for a closed circuit there, and if it finds one it won't let the top go down. And that's why I'm at a loss as to what could be causing this problem when its unplugged if there's no error code. :(
Old 04-14-2018, 02:36 PM   #5
SharpOldNo7

Drives: 2015 2LT RS Convertible
Check the end of the rod to see if something is missing on it.
SharpOldNo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 03:13 PM   #6
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbostaph View Post
I think that's exactly how it works. My shade had no wires, but there was a wire going to the driver's side shade holder. I assume it is a relay that opens when the shade is placed on it.

When I unplugged the wire it still worked, which indicates to me that the computer looks for a closed circuit there, and if it finds one it won't let the top go down. And that's why I'm at a loss as to what could be causing this problem when its unplugged if there's no error code. :(
If I remember correctly from a post by another member that had a problem with theirs one side of the rod has a magnetic cap on it, it operates a reed switch behind the plastic trim. I forget which side it is on. And I could be wrong too.