Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Regional Sections > USA - Southeast

AWE Tuning

Old 03-09-2018, 12:31 AM   #1
Falundir

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE - Hyper Blue, P85DL
Relocating to Charlotte, NC - Questions on Smog and Reputable Groups

All,

I will be moving from the SF Bay Area to Charlotte around November of this year, and had a few quick questions.

First - What are the smog requirements for NC/Charlotte? I did some searching online, but it was not totally clear. I will be doing some work on my car before I leave, but want to ensure that I meet NC smog laws. Essentially just bolt ons, tune, keep cats, long tubes.

Second - I am a part of a wonderful car community out here in The Bay, and would love to find a similar group in Charlotte. Preferably an all makes/models from E36s to Performante's with no ego, drama.

If anyone has any information on either of these items it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Chris
Falundir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 06:44 AM   #2
Ecchi667

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, 6spd M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falundir View Post
All,

I will be moving from the SF Bay Area to Charlotte around November of this year, and had a few quick questions.

First - What are the smog requirements for NC/Charlotte? I did some searching online, but it was not totally clear. I will be doing some work on my car before I leave, but want to ensure that I meet NC smog laws. Essentially just bolt ons, tune, keep cats, long tubes.

Second - I am a part of a wonderful car community out here in The Bay, and would love to find a similar group in Charlotte. Preferably an all makes/models from E36s to Performante's with no ego, drama.

If anyone has any information on either of these items it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Chris
Hey Chris! I can't help you with the smog rules as I don't know (I can probably find out if nobody else steps forward) but if you find that they are indeed too restrictive (doubtful compared to SF) then Charlotte is actually right near the border with South Carolina, and here in SC we have no smog tests on cars. In fact, we have no tests what-so-ever on vehicles, so as long as it's taxed, titled and insured (and you can actually pay an insurance waiver fee and have no insurance at all if you really wanted to) then you're good to have the car however you want it.

For clubs, there is a pretty decent Cars and Coffee in Charlotte (https://www.facebook.com/Cars-and-Co...1205780279743/) and in Columbia, SC, we have a monthly car meet which is getting pretty big (https://www.facebook.com/events/265085634022739/ - can't find the main meet page, but that was the most recent event so I'm sure there's a link there somewhere)

Lastly, this calendar will give you a heads-up on car events happening in the area: https://cruisincarolinamagazine.com/calendar/

Cheers!
Ecchi667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:21 AM   #3
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Welcome...not sure of specific smog laws, but not even close to what you have now in CA, they are pretty laid back here with stuff like that. You can check the DMV NC website it may list specifics to pass inspection. Usually the first few years, think 5, is just safety only inspections, nothing else, costs $13, full inspection is $30.

As far as groups, I am up in Mooresville, there are some around here, usually cars and coffee events and sometimes events at the Mooresville Gopro Motorplex.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:16 AM   #4
Falundir

Thank you both very much, and looking forward to meeting up sometime. I am a hardcore track rat, so hopefully on the track!
Old 03-09-2018, 06:53 PM   #5
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
If car is less than 3 yrs old it's only safety inspection. After 3 yrs. the inspection place just hooks into the OBD2 port. They don't put a probe into the exhaust here, so no worries.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 06:58 PM   #6
Falundir

Many thanks!
Old 03-10-2018, 01:01 PM   #7
hms2488485

Drives: '17 Camaro SS 1LE
Not too many 1LEs around Charlotte. I’ve only ever seen one other than mine. Cars & Coffee is a kwasy a good bet and the GoPro Motorplex in Mooresville has a good cruise-in as well. SCCA Track Night in America is at Charlotte Motor Speedway which is always a good time
hms2488485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 01:08 PM   #8
Falundir

Quote:
Originally Posted by hms2488485 View Post
Not too many 1LEs around Charlotte. I’ve only ever seen one other than mine. Cars & Coffee is a kwasy a good bet and the GoPro Motorplex in Mooresville has a good cruise-in as well. SCCA Track Night in America is at Charlotte Motor Speedway which is always a good time
I need to do my homework on local track options and groups. Is SCCA the best HPDE/race school option? Been eyeing VIR.

By the time we get there it will be near hibernation time, but you should be able to recognize my car easily. It will have the West coast track decals on the back window and I keep my numbers on.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2018, 05:21 PM   #9
Yellow6thGen
18 ZL1 A10 Convertible

Drives: White ZL1 Convertible
Welcome to NC. I moved from the Bay Area too! Just 2 years ago. I live just north of Charlotte in Mooresville, Race City USA. We have a great club here, one for All cars. It’s a great group and second family to me... you will love the auto cross here events, driving at Charlotte International too.. PM me and I’ll send over my contact info. One of my friends has a ZL1 1LE. Oh and there is no hybrination here it’s year round driving expect for one snow a year... lol. I don’t miss San Jose at all.. I live on Lake Norman, and you will love 93 Octaine less than 3.89 and racing into Dec. I ran a 11.40 @ 125 In the last week of December bone stock.. again Welcome soon to NC, ps no smog in my county!

Steve

2018 ZL1 Convertible A10 @ Kooks R&D.
Yellow6thGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:29 AM   #10
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
There's really not a "hibernation" period here... While it does get a bit chilly here during the winter. It's not like you have to put the car to sleep for any lengthy amount of time, maybe a week or so here and there.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 04:52 PM   #11
Arc8ngel

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS Redline Edition
In NC you will be required to pass...
Vehicle Safety Inspection
This inspection is to make sure your vehicle is operating safely. It includes checks to the headlights, accessory lights, directional signals, foot brake, parking brake, steering and windshield wipers.

and

On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) Emissions Inspection
North Carolina is fighting ozone-forming emissions from gasoline-operated cars and light duty trucks. Inspections are conducted using the vehicle’s on-board diagnostic (OBD) system, computerized equipment installed on all new vehicles since 1996.
Arc8ngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:54 PM   #12
Nated421

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary SS Camaro
Hey bud welcome to Charlotte!! I’m currently in Head turners charlotte chapter if you want more info and such pm me
Nated421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:30 AM   #13
Rayfield

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
I think people have covered most of the bases about groups and smog. After you're past the Safety Inspection period, you just have to make sure that any mods you've done aren't "ratting you out" via the OBDII port. My modded WRX (no cats) passed for many years; the tune took care of it.

Welcome to the area! Are you moving due to a banking career, by any chance? Charlotte and SF are large hubs for that industry, and one of my brother-in-laws has moved back and forth to take different positions within Wells Fargo.
Rayfield is offline   Reply With Quote