Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 02-21-2019, 02:44 PM   #1
SWZL11LE

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE
2019 ZL1 1LE - New Owner Impressions

I took delivery of my '19 ZL1 1LE recently. Even though I am in Miami, FL, got the car from Sam Pierce Chevrolet in Daleville, IN (Indianapolis) and couldn't have been happier with their service.

Initially was on the market for a 2014-2015 Z28 in white, was pretty hard to find or the ones I found weren't in good enough of a shape, so I decided to just order a new ZL1 1LE.

I bought the car without ever driven a newer Camaro, let alone have even sat in one. I was sold on the fact that people who I would say are "credible" journalists and professional racers who had driven these cars were all saying "Do it!", so I did.

I'm a fairly seasoned driver (on track), a very picky person when it comes to cars and not attached to one brand. One of my favorite street cars I've driven on track was a lightly modded C6 ZR1 (had a smaller pulley and on massive Hoosier R6's). The only thing I didn't like about the C6 ZR1 was the steering feel (lack of it). I bought the ZL1 1LE with high expectations, however always had the question of "how will the steering feel?".

Glad to report that, the Camaro is above what I expected and I had some high expectations. Most importantly the steering feel is on point! This is the first thing I thought when I went for that first drive when the car arrived. Knit picking, the steering is way too heavy in track mode, but I could live with that, most important thing was that the steering feel is very direct with no on center sloppiness!

For a street car, I am very well impressed with the quality, fit finish of the interior, it really does feel like a quality product, but I guess I have to wait and find out if it starts squeaking and rattling over some time.

Even though I wasn't planning on taking the Camaro out on track before it was completely PPF'd (clear wrapped), I couldn't resist and took it out on track for a few sessions yesterday. The most notable thing for me was how well the car puts the power down, and oh my, how well that front end feels. My regular track car is a Porsche Cayman GT4 and I really think the GT4 one of the nicest modern cars available, in terms of being a drivers car. The ZL1 1LE holds its own next to the GT4, and the first session around the track, I was 2 seconds quicker than the GT4 on a track where lap times are in the 1 minute 20-30 second mark.

The only thing I can say which I really think needs attention on the ZL1 1LE is the brakes, not a big fan of the brake pedal feel. It might be due to the fact that I am used to running race compound pads, but the ZL1 1LE's brake pedal travel is way too much and not as direct as I would want it to be. Especially after a few good laps. They do not fade, but the pedal does loose feel.

After getting some more seat time, this is going to be the first area of attack for me, I will be changing the pads to a Race Tehcnologies racing compound pad, after I consult with them, and also have gotten in touch with some credible contacts on seeing if I can get some brake lines made for this car. I know they have rubber lines with a metal reinforcement weave, I really think the brake feel could benefit from better lines. Hence why I am working on getting some better alternatives for it made for me.

Either way, overall as you can tell from my little write up, I am extremely happy with the car. I attached some pictures from yesterday at the track. Bonus picture material is my friends Z28 with a Procharger that is putting down close to 700hp to the rear wheels.

Attached Images

SWZL11LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 02:45 PM   #2
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Hell of a lineup there... Glad you're enjoying it!!!
Old 02-21-2019, 02:59 PM   #3
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
FYI, you can decouple the steering settings from the modes in the Settings menu on the screen.

Nice line up, BTW. Two of my dream cars are the GT4 and the GT3. I'm really excited about seeing what the next gen GT4 is. If they offer it with PDK and the 9K redline GT3 de-tuned 4.0, that would be the ultimate GT car to have.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 03:05 PM   #4
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWZL11LE View Post
Knit picking, the steering is way too heavy in track mode, but I could live with that, most important thing was that the steering feel is very direct with no on center sloppiness!
That is an easier fix than the brake pedal feel, just set steering mode to sport or tour, independent of drive mode selection (Vehicle > Driving Mode > Steering). Thanks a lot for the review

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 03:24 PM   #5
19Nasty1le
Craig

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Possibly a stupid question, but did you do the whole “bedding the brakes” before taking it to the track and hammering on it? I know it’s claimed not bedding correctly will not yield the correct “bite” on high end brakes
19Nasty1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 03:25 PM   #6
SWZL11LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Nasty1le View Post
Possibly a stupid question, but did you do the whole “bedding the brakes” before taking it to the track and hammering on it? I know it’s claimed not bedding correctly will not yield the correct “bite” on high end brakes

Yes of course, I actually bed the brakes in on my first drive of the car.

The issue isn't a lack of bite, it is the brake pedal feel, especially after you get some heat into the brakes.

PS: If you have never been, you need to take your 1LE out with the 1MoreLap crew at Calabogie Motorsports Park, you have one of the best race tracks in North America in your backyard.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:34 PM   #7
19Nasty1le
Craig

Quote:
Yes of course, I actually bed the brakes in on my first drive of the car.

The issue isn't a lack of bite, it is the brake pedal feel, especially after you get some heat into the brakes.

PS: If you have never been, you need to take your 1LE out with the 1MoreLap crew at Calabogie Motorsports Park, you have one of the best race tracks in North America in your backyard.
I’ve never been on a road coarse only a drag strip, I will forsure look into it! I know some guys not too far away on here also got a ZLE maybe we’ll all make a day of it!

How much of a pain is the break in processes? I’ve seen doing some 50% and WoT pulls in a higher gear to seat the rings while not exceeding the 4K RPM etc. But I have about a hour highway drive to get the car home and have all these restrictions, don’t use cruise, no constant speed, apply the brakes a bunch at certain speeds and applications etc
Old 02-21-2019, 03:36 PM   #8
SWZL11LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Nasty1le View Post
I’ve never been on a road coarse only a drag strip, I will forsure look into it! I know some guys not too far away on here also got a ZLE maybe we’ll all make a day of it!

How much of a pain is the break in processes? I’ve seen doing some 50% and WoT pulls in a higher gear to seat the rings while not exceeding the 4K RPM etc. But I have about a hour highway drive to get the car home and have all these restrictions, don’t use cruise, no constant speed, apply the brakes a bunch at certain speeds and applications etc

Only thing I'll say is, talk to any reputable engine builder, and they'll tell you to run the engine wide open from day one.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:39 PM   #9
19Nasty1le
Craig

Quote:
Only thing I'll say is, talk to any reputable engine builder, and they'll tell you to run the engine wide open from day one.
I assume you’ve done with your lineup of high end performance cars, any complaints?
Old 02-21-2019, 03:42 PM   #10
BDivine76

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
This is a great review. Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts and the photos...that's quite the setup! I'm also a big fan of the GT3 and Cayman GT4...though sadly I've never had the opportunity to drive either one.

Keep us posted as you get more seat time in the car.
BDivine76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 04:28 PM   #11
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
You may need to bleed your brakes, have you done that? Also, I added SS brake lines and this is a must for any track car that doesn't come with them. My ZL1 1LE has SS lines and they were bled properly and filled with Motul RBF.

Stepping on them now is night and day vs. OEM lines before bleeding.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 04:52 PM   #12
SWZL11LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
You may need to bleed your brakes, have you done that? Also, I added SS brake lines and this is a must for any track car that doesn't come with them. My ZL1 1LE has SS lines and they were bled properly and filled with Motul RBF.

Stepping on them now is night and day vs. OEM lines before bleeding.

The car is brand new, would have guessed bleeding isn't necessary on a new car, especially if it is being marketed as a track ready vehicle.

I will get upgrading the lines, but not thinking of SS, looking at other options while I am in the act of changing the lines.

Also surprised to read some threads here where people have said the stock lines that have some sort of metal braiding inside the rubber is good and no difference is to be had with SS lines.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:57 PM   #13
swizlstik

Drives: 2018 Garnet ZL1
Great review and congratulations!!
Old 02-21-2019, 05:13 PM   #14
gotswap

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Crush
Generally speaking, braided lines will do nothing but add a bit of show. The stretch and bursting strength of stock lines far exceeds what is generated with pedal pressure. Now if they are old and squishy, different story.
gotswap is offline   Reply With Quote