#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-14-2019, 12:07 PM   #43
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost Creep View Post
To me the whole 1-4 skip shift thing is the definition of lugging, too high a gear for the vehicle speed.
The few times I let it happen I wasn't happy with the results, I would intentionally shift earlier or later into second just to avoid the forced 1-4 shift.
If I got caught by the skip shift nanny I would just go to neutral and then go for second.
PITA
Then I just got the eliminator.
Agreed 100% I never installed the skip shift eliminator, just learned to drive around it. Every now and then it will still get me and lock out 2nd, when this happens I just wiggle it in neutral a bit and then go to 3rd, much better than 4th IMO.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:34 PM   #44
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
To me the whole 1-4 skip shift thing is the definition of lugging, too high a gear for the vehicle speed.
The few times I let it happen I wasn't happy with the results, I would intentionally shift earlier or later into second just to avoid the forced 1-4 shift.
If I got caught by the skip shift nanny I would just go to neutral and then go for second.
PITA
It's not lugging as long as you don't open the throttle too much, but it's very close at 16-17 mph.

Lugging can depend on load (is the car going uphill, how much weight is it carrying, etc. ) as well... so you can be in 6th at 50 and not be lugging... as long as you're not trying to accelerate or climb a hill.

I'm also installing the eliminator, it is a PITA.
DaveC113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:47 PM   #45
Matos1LE

Drives: SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzia35 View Post
Only 3k rpm? Lol, my '90 Miata was turning over 4k at 70 mph.
Haha, I too have a 90 Miata and it is annoying to turn 4k at that speed. So much drone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
That is precisely why I posted the SAE graph. It proves that 1,000 RPM is not lugging. It's not up for debate. Nobody's opinion matters. It's not subjective. The data is right there.

If someone wants to claim that 1000 RPM on the Gen V LT1 is "lugging", they are being willfully ignorant and should be excluded from any conversation.
An engine dyno is not representative of the situation being discussed here. On an engine dyno, the engine is out of the car and not subjected to pushing the weight of the car through the drivetrain whilst coping with rolling resistance and aerodynamic drag. That NVH when you get too low a speed in a higher gear is most definitely lugging.
Matos1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:25 PM   #46
zx9rmal

Drives: '20 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Which is it: not subjective, or the SAE cert is meaningless? Your argument is contradicting itself.

This is yet another example of not understanding the difference between engine load and vehicle acceleration. The engine load at WOT in 2nd is the same engine load as WOT in 6th. The rate in which the RPM's rise have no bearing on anything regarding what "lugging" is. I'm betting that last bit is a big sticking point for laymen.
Perhaps you didn't get what I was saying or I was not clear, no matter, but I was NOT in any way talking about engine load vs. acceleration. The engine load may be the same, but accelerate at 1k rpm in 2nd and 6th and tell me what you feel.

I'm simply saying that keeping the engine at very low rpm's in a high gear is lugging it and everything I've read over decades talks about NOT lugging an engine.

We don't have to agree. We will drive our cars how we feel comfortable. I like keeping mine running in a more sweet spot.
'22 Kawasaki ZX-14R
zx9rmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 03:09 PM   #47
Jimbeau11

Drives: '18 Black SS 1LE; '01 Corvette Z06
Quote:
PITA
Funny, the skip shift apparently doesn't work in my car. It's never once blocked second gear and gone into fourth.......
Jimbeau11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:38 PM   #48
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
Agreed 100% I never installed the skip shift eliminator, just learned to drive around it. Every now and then it will still get me and lock out 2nd, when this happens I just wiggle it in neutral a bit and then go to 3rd, much better than 4th IMO.
That's what I would do, first gear, go for second and the dash message pops up and second is blocked, shifter to neutral give it a little wiggle side to side then into second. Only seemed to happen when I really didn't want it, like during a left turn. It got annoying, all my other M6 cars either had it tuned out or had the eliminator.
This is the first car that has the skip shift defeated but still throws up the message in the dash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
It's not lugging as long as you don't open the throttle too much, but it's very close at 16-17 mph.

Lugging can depend on load (is the car going uphill, how much weight is it carrying, etc. ) as well... so you can be in 6th at 50 and not be lugging... as long as you're not trying to accelerate or climb a hill.

I'm also installing the eliminator, it is a PITA.
Always seemed to happen in traffic as I pull away from a light. Catch up to the car in front of you, go to shift to 2nd and end up in fourth just as the car in front then takes off leaving a gap and you are at 18mph in fourth. Now have to downshift to second to close the gap again.

Stupidest system ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbeau11 View Post
Funny, the skip shift apparently doesn't work in my car. It's never once blocked second gear and gone into fourth.......
You buy it new or second owner?
Wondering if it may have been tuned out.
You see the message on the dash?

Sometimes I would get the message but still be able to shift to second.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:59 PM   #49
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
Quote:
That's what I would do, first gear, go for second and the dash message pops up and second is blocked, shifter to neutral give it a little wiggle side to side then into second. Only seemed to happen when I really didn't want it, like during a left turn. It got annoying, all my other M6 cars either had it tuned out or had the eliminator.
This is the first car that has the skip shift defeated but still throws up the message in the dash.

Always seemed to happen in traffic as I pull away from a light. Catch up to the car in front of you, go to shift to 2nd and end up in fourth just as the car in front then takes off leaving a gap and you are at 18mph in fourth. Now have to downshift to second to close the gap again.

Stupidest system ever.

You buy it new or second owner?
Wondering if it may have been tuned out.
You see the message on the dash?

Sometimes I would get the message but still be able to shift to second.
I took him as meaning he accelerates hard enough that skip shift doesn't pop up.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:52 AM   #50
Zboy136

Drives: Red Hot 17 1LE
I have a cam in mine, but I will stay in 5th up to 50 if I can sustain 55 I will then go to 6th. Mostly due to any rpm too close to 1200 will cause surging.
Zboy136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:52 AM   #51
Reddy1LE

Drives: 1SS 1LE
When i was DD my car I would go into 6th exactly 47mph and above (slow commute and really bored). At that point it didnt sound like the engine was choking itself out.
What this car really needs is a notification eliminator. There's a wi-fi notification. Bluetooth notification. Parking brake disabled notification. Always some annoying notification popping up. - Navigator post
Reddy1LE is offline   Reply With Quote