Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 03-02-2019, 08:07 AM   #43
Cmax

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS FIFTY convertible
As the wise old man from the beer commercial says....
“I don’t often drive in ice and snow, but when I do, I drive my 4x4 Silverado.”
Cmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 09:08 AM   #44
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmax View Post
As the wise old man from the beer commercial says....
“I don’t often drive in ice and snow, but when I do, I drive my 4x4 Silverado.”
Sorry, no Silverado...
DaveC113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:02 AM   #45
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Our winter has "broken" for the most part, once we get to this time of the year, we are starting to get more sunlight than down south (longer days) and stuff in the road starts melting, especially later in the day. Up until this point though, there is lots of impacted ice and snow that never sees direct sunlight and it's essentially driving on ice all the time. My parents used to freak out about "black ice" back in CA, where we rarely had it, as well as snowstorms dumping wet snow that would be slush and gone in a few days. In AZ, we'd get some significant snow too, but again in the sunlight it was gone so fast at high altitude that it was just never a major issue. Here, it's always an issue. Even on a flat intersection, getting a car moving can be challenging to damn near impossible without studs. Again, some of them stay shaded and icy with lots of impacted ice and snow. Then, you have to control the throttle and brakes in a way that doesn't start one end of the car sliding out, winter tires help here immensely, but you add some uphill, and things get dicey fast. Sure, not all vehicles need studs, some have a lot more weight on the axles and some have AWD to get the car moving, but some of the people that refuse to get them or winter tires are also a hazard to everyone else depending on the vehicle and situation. They sit there spinning at the intersections, holding up traffic, etc. Besides the engine-braking benefit of AWD, just getting the car moving in the right direction is huge much of the time and RWD can start the car sliding the wrong way right off the bat. Some of the attitudes here are mind blowing, people in Georgia getting winter tires, the people that claim they drive every day on racing slicks on frozen-ice lakes, etc. Maybe our lack of sunlight from about Nov-Feb is the defining factor, and it is amazing how most people adapt, but these cars are not "good" in these conditions. Just about anything works well with winter tires on dry snow, that's a non-starter IMO, impacted ice and snow, frosted surfaces, freezing fog and rain laying down layers, the fact that the ground stays cold and freezes everything overnight, these are what we deal with here.

The benefit is the summer days are long and as I said, right now the sunlight is starting to get longer than down south, give it another month and it'll be going down after 10pm.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 12:53 PM   #46
Boosted_ST
LT1 1LE

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE HPB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrojedi View Post
To me its just a car( a fantastic car ) ..I make a big payment and I want to drive the car as much as possible..its going to depreciate at the same rate and I feel I get my moneys worth by actually using it...I Will likely keep the car for 3 years and upgrade to something else...I work in sales at a large Chevy/GM/Buick dealership so I get some killer prices... my car listed at 59K CAD, I paid $47,500 and got 1.49% finacing....it costs me $700/month, my demo was costing me $480/month ( taxable benefits equivalent )..so it was a no brainer for me...
Nice!

Mine isn't a daily driver but I still spent $2K on winter tire/rims combo.

I enjoy driving the 1LE and it's a great vehicle to drive in the winter.
Boosted_ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 01:21 PM   #47
NYJets12

Drives: 2018 1LT Camaro
It’s not the car but the nut behind the wheel. Before front wheel and 4 wheel drive was invented all there was was rear wheel drive. I had rear wheel drive before never had a problem then or now , all you need are snow tires and not a lead foot. I guess the younger generation always had front wheel drive so I can see them not liking a Camaro in the snow but us older folks who cares let it snow.
Old 03-02-2019, 01:26 PM   #48
nitrojedi

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS Convertible
here is my winter vs summer look ! I actually like the look of my winters ( for winters anyways )
Attached Images

nitrojedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 10:22 AM   #49
Dalefj3

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Tire Size

Thanks for the great info everyone. I was thinking about getting 18" rims for my 2SS since the roads in Detroit are so bad, but sounds like the handling is quite poor.

For those with winter tires, what size did you get? Tire rack is recommending 245's. I recognize there is an advantage to skinnier tires in the snow, but the roads are plowed +90% of the time and I fear that 245's will be too narrow and not have enough rear end grip in the dry.
Dalefj3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 11:16 AM   #50
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalefj3 View Post
Thanks for the great info everyone. I was thinking about getting 18" rims for my 2SS since the roads in Detroit are so bad, but sounds like the handling is quite poor.

For those with winter tires, what size did you get? Tire rack is recommending 245's. I recognize there is an advantage to skinnier tires in the snow, but the roads are plowed +90% of the time and I fear that 245's will be too narrow and not have enough rear end grip in the dry.
I went with 265/40/19 all around on 30mm offset rims with 7mm spacers + ARP wheel studs on the front. Michelin PA4 tires.

I'm very happy with the result and the car handles very well on dry, cold pavement. Braking and handling in snow are excellent, fwd traction is ok but not awesome, but you can't expect AWD levels of go with a RWD car.
DaveC113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 11:17 AM   #51
drperry

Drives: Chevy Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalefj3 View Post

As long as you don't go Ricky Bobby on the dry stuff, you'll be fine... Winter tires wear quick when driven hard, anyways, lol

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
drperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 02:05 PM   #52
Nate76

Drives: 2022 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrojedi View Post
here is my winter vs summer look ! I actually like the look of my winters ( for winters anyways )
Thanks awesome!! I’ve been driving Camaros through the winter since 2011. First a v6, then a 2SS. No problems or extra winter damage. I’m looking to order a 2022 convertible that will be my daily drive in Ontario. I’ll want to drive mine all winter too, with snow tires of course. You’re the first real example that I’ve found of it being done. Just wondering if there is any other insight you could share about driving a 2ss vert in the winter. Thanks.
Nate76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 04:01 PM   #53
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate76 View Post
Thanks awesome!! I’ve been driving Camaros through the winter since 2011. First a v6, then a 2SS. No problems or extra winter damage. I’m looking to order a 2022 convertible that will be my daily drive in Ontario. I’ll want to drive mine all winter too, with snow tires of course. You’re the first real example that I’ve found of it being done. Just wondering if there is any other insight you could share about driving a 2ss vert in the winter. Thanks.
Both of you live in big cities that are constantly being plowed & salted during & after a snow storm. Rural life is much different… you wouldn’t even get moving on my road, even with Blizzaks, for about a week after a 10-12” snow storm.

So no, they aren’t great winter vehicles for everyone.

You must have missed the thread of the LT1 that was stuck on the side of a driveway for several days in rural NY.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 08:40 PM   #54
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Despite all the Frozen Tundra hype, the average temperature in Milwaukee Wisconsin is 34 degree in December, 30 degrees in January and 32 in February. When it snows, the roads are clear within hours.

I put OE size Sottozeros on my Camaros and have them wrapped in Xpel. I bucket wash them every weekend in my driveway!

I bought a set of gray split spoke rims for my 2016 2SS and then used the on my 2018 until I sold it. Driving in the winter is not an issue.
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 08:58 PM   #55
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
My 1LE will get wrapped in Xpel on August 24th. Front fascia, front fenders, doors and rear quarters.

I bought a set of MRR rims and OE sized Sottozeros (285/305). I enjoy my cars and have been doing this since the gen4,1996. Including a 2004 GTO

These cars drive great in snow with the right tires. I've driven in ~6 inches without issue. Deeper ...I'll work from home
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -

Last edited by hotlap; 08-07-2021 at 09:14 PM.
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 09:31 PM   #56
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
If these cars drive great in the snow, there is literally no vehicle on this planet that does not drive great in the snow.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD

Last edited by JamesNoBrakes; 08-07-2021 at 09:42 PM.
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote