#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-21-2019, 05:31 PM   #15
SWZL11LE

Drives: '19 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotswap View Post
Generally speaking, braided lines will do nothing but add a bit of show. The stretch and bursting strength of stock lines far exceeds what is generated with pedal pressure. Now if they are old and squishy, different story.

Obviously even a line off a Chevy Aveo will not burst with pedal pressure, but do you have any data to back up your claim about the "stretch" tolerances of the stock lines?

Because even SS lines will stretch with pedal pressure, just not as much as a conventional rubber line.
SWZL11LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 05:52 PM   #16
gotswap

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Crush
Just a conversation back in the day with a brake line company. Nothing more than that
gotswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 05:56 PM   #17
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Generally speaking, braided lines will do nothing but add a bit of show. The stretch and bursting strength of stock lines far exceeds what is generated with pedal pressure. Now if they are old and squishy, different story.
This is my understanding too, improvements people feel from new SS lines may be the bleed or the old lines were getting more flexible.

OP, I'd use a high temp brake fluid + bleed and see what you think.

And congrats on the car!
DaveC113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 06:06 PM   #18
Revalot

Drives: ZL1/1LE parts added
Location: Somewhere around Texas pines tress and smooth asphalt
I cannot wait ! This will be my 1st sports car ! I'm 48 and have raced sportbikes, drag racing, and road racing, drag racing gives you the rush off the line. Road racing gives you a rush at every turn !
And I will be very careful with mine, I thought about a used C6 ZR1, a gen (Z28)5 camaro, but both of those cars would only be about 200 bucks cheaper a month, and for peace of mind I rather have a new car plus I really like knowing I'm the only one doing maintenance and breaking it in.
Revalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 07:23 PM   #19
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Do you track your car a lot? When the fluid in rubber lines gets really hot on the track, even with new lines, you feel the difference vs. SS lines.

How do SS lines add show? You can't see them, I never considered that
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 07:25 PM   #20
gotswap

I have and I do, 415whp Honda S2000. Stock rubber lines, better pads and high temp brake fluid.

The only vehicle I run braided lines on is my 89 Wrangler, better abrasion resistance from rocks and such while wheeling.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:36 PM   #21
Stealth7

Drives: Gen V Viper GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWZL11LE View Post
Yes of course, I actually bed the brakes in on my first drive of the car.

The issue isn't a lack of bite, it is the brake pedal feel, especially after you get some heat into the brakes.

PS: If you have never been, you need to take your 1LE out with the 1MoreLap crew at Calabogie Motorsports Park, you have one of the best race tracks in North America in your backyard.
Castrol SRF!
Stealth7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 07:39 PM   #22
gotswap

ATE Super Blue for me

The problem is not the lines, it is the brake fluid boiling that causes crappy pedal feel
Old 02-21-2019, 11:43 PM   #23
SWZL11LE

I guess all the reputable motorsport teams are doing it wrong, I should call some of them up tomorrow morning and let them know that they should dedicate the brake line budget elsewhere and stop showing off
Old 02-21-2019, 11:49 PM   #24
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Most folks will never notice the difference between stock and ss lines on the track, but yes it's still a great mod and definitely next up on my list.

DOT 4 brake fluid is way more important though, and your track day will get cut short without it.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:48 AM   #25
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
OP, very nice stable. Wow! That trailer/rig for lack of a better word, is breathtaking.

My $0.02. IMHO, quality ss brake lines and premium DOT4 are both an amazingly effective and inexpensive performance mod for a few hundred bucks and a couple of hours of time invested.

At 1400 miles, I bled out the DOT3 and swapped out all 4 of the OEM brake lines with Wilwood ss lines and replaced with SRF. There has been a VERY noticeable improvement in both pedal feel and travel, especially when heated up.

As far as the "for show" thing goes... Perhaps my ZLE is like an off duty, smokin' hot, amazingly athletic lingerie model. Unless you are indeed close enough to actually look up her skirt; The truth is that only she and I know what she has going on underneath.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:03 AM   #26
SWZL11LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Most folks will never notice the difference between stock and ss lines on the track...

Most people lack the feel when it comes to driving, not trying to offend anyone but it is the truth. Just like some humans have a better sense of smell and others don't.

Maybe I am just used to having a very crisp and direct brake feel given my other cars (most of them) all have SS or comparable lines from factory.

But it looks like the quest for better brake feel has already gotten off to a good start.

Getting some very special lines made, just need to send over a set of sample lines to my good friends in Italy for them to custom make me some lines, made from a special carbon fiber braided brake line. They are used on Formula cars and on the top level of two wheeled competition motorcycles.

Other than having a min. burst pressure rating of 16,900 psi, these lines are much more flexible in terms of routing than SS lines, which keep binding to a minimum when the lines are moving around (with the wheel being turned and suspension travel etc...). You can grab one of these carbon lines and tie a knot in it, install it (not that you should be doing this), and it will still work as intended.

I'll stop geeking out over these lines, and get back to the replying to some of the opinions thrown around as replies.

For those who claim "brake lines are for show", lets put some numbers out, as there hasn't been any facts or hard data that has been discussed here, only thing I've seen is, they know a friend of a friend of a friend and so on kind of response.

A typical brake system will have 800-1000psi of pressure when stopping under normal conditions, and under hard braking this can go well above 2000psi. Just think about these numbers for a second, that is pounds per square inch, and imagine that kind of weight on one square inch.

A rubber line that has braiding such as the stock lines on these cars or any other braided line, stainless steel, kevlar or carbon fiber, just the degree of expansion in the line which causes the indirect brake pedal feel will vary due to the different constructions of the lines.

Brake lines aren't the only solution to a great pedal feel, as mentioned brake fluid does play a big role as well.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:18 PM   #27
Supercup
Life Is Short Enjoy It!

Drives: Original Owner 15 Z/28 #934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth7 View Post
Castrol SRF!
+1
Supercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 07:23 PM   #28
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
Sweet setup and toys, congrats on the addition!
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote