Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 01-29-2024, 02:59 PM   #1
Arogg
A legend in his own mind

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
Another Gear question

Yes, another gear question..sorry.

So I'm looking for an "inexpensive" upgrade to give me a little more of a leg up for the track day coming up in April. I got a buddy with a '15 5.0 and last time we were within 10ths of each other and he has since did a few upgrades. I figured gears would be the way. I basically only drive the car once in a while, yes, I drive it aggressively when I do but nothing crazy and never too far. Occasionally I go to Jersey to visit my dad but again, I'm pretty much just cruising. I hit the track MAYBE once a year, but more like once every other year.
I was leaning 4:10s but im probably going 3:91. My installer who is very reputable in the area is DESPERATELY trying to convince me to also do a TruTrac. I know it would be beneficial but funds are tight even though im trying to upgrade. My current mods are in my signature. Only thing different would be that next weekend im swapping exhausts to a full 3" Corsa Xtreme.
So my question... Do i really need this trutrac like hes saying? I really feel like I dont, at least not at this point. Should i just wait until I can afford to do it all? I really dont see me doing too much more to this car anytime soon and even then, it will probably just a be a cam.

Color matched OEM GFX / VIS Carbon Fiber Hood (absolute trash quality and customer service ) / Heritage Grille / 5% Windows / 30% Windshield tint with 5% visor strip / Tinted Exterior Lights / Streetfighter LA Spoiler / Morimoto XB LED fogs / LED sidemarkers / Airaid CAI / Hurst Short Throw / TSP LT's / No cats / No resonator / Corsa Xtreme Catback / Trifecta Tune / Factory amp replaced / 2 JL Audio 12's in the trunk / MRR 228 Wheels / BMR Springs / Moog Endlinks / R1 Concepts Rotors & Pads
Arogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 03:38 PM   #2
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
Another option would be a converter. A stall converter will give your car a whole new personality, and it may be a necessity depending on your cam selection down the road. In either case, whether you decide to do gears or a converter, you would also benefit from a dedicated drag tire.

Good luck and have fun!

-Scott

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 03:43 PM   #3
Arogg
A legend in his own mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmanntexas View Post
Another option would be a converter. A stall converter will give your car a whole new personality, and it may be a necessity depending on your cam selection down the road. In either case, whether you decide to do gears or a converter, you would also benefit from a dedicated drag tire.

Good luck and have fun!

-Scott
My SS is a manual... Drag tire setup would be nice too but the only spare set of wheels I have is my factory 20s and id prefer to do a drag pack which will be way more money

Color matched OEM GFX / VIS Carbon Fiber Hood (absolute trash quality and customer service ) / Heritage Grille / 5% Windows / 30% Windshield tint with 5% visor strip / Tinted Exterior Lights / Streetfighter LA Spoiler / Morimoto XB LED fogs / LED sidemarkers / Airaid CAI / Hurst Short Throw / TSP LT's / No cats / No resonator / Corsa Xtreme Catback / Trifecta Tune / Factory amp replaced / 2 JL Audio 12's in the trunk / MRR 228 Wheels / BMR Springs / Moog Endlinks / R1 Concepts Rotors & Pads
Old 01-29-2024, 05:11 PM   #4
Joe.G

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 6SP Ashen Grey
Honestly while you are in there you really should, The stock unit uses clutches and they do wear out. If you are swapping gears now is the time to do the bearings and the true trac. Buy the parts as money becomes available and install when ready. I went with 3.91 and I am very happy with them but I do think if I was to do it again I would go with 4.10
SCT X4 Dynosteve,
Hotckis 1" Springs & Chassis Max Brace
BMR Adjustable Swaybars,Trailing Arms, Adjustable Toe Rod, LCA & Z28 UCA Bushings Hendrix Solid Cradle Bushings
Pedders Radius Rod Inserts Strut tower brace
Hero Smoked Tail and 3rd Brake Light, Diode Dynamic SL1 Fog Lights
AeroForce Dual gauge/Autometer pillar mount.
Joe.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 07:40 AM   #5
Arogg
A legend in his own mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe.G View Post
Honestly while you are in there you really should, The stock unit uses clutches and they do wear out. If you are swapping gears now is the time to do the bearings and the true trac. Buy the parts as money becomes available and install when ready. I went with 3.91 and I am very happy with them but I do think if I was to do it again I would go with 4.10
Yeah, i mean, i totally get that. Id love to do it all just to add to the mod list! Maybe ill try to snag a few side projects and hustle up some cash to do the gears and TruTrac before April. Now to decide between 3.91 and 4.10s. Ive been reading post after post and article after article and im no closer to deciding lol. In the end, im just looking to shave a little off my quarter time to keep my buddies car behind me. To this day, he hasnt beaten me yet but we are VERY close in times and hes done a little work since last track day

Old 02-02-2024, 11:55 PM   #6
dreksnot
Served USN - Atomic Chimp

Drives: 13 Camaro LSX434 TT M6, 21 ZLE A10
Our heavy cars need gear. 4.11

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
dreksnot is offline   Reply With Quote