The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-16-2020, 08:04 PM   #281
M3ntal
Account Suspended

Drives: Gen 5 Camaro
M3ntal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 10:41 AM   #282
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
It’s all relative. If the Z06 can 0 to 60 in 2.9 sec like the Z51, I think the Chevy world will be fine with this FPC track terror. If it can’t outrun the $35k, Camaro LT1 A10 ...folks will be disappointed.

I expect it will be faster in a straight line than the Z51. Its a Chevy thing.
That's not at all what I am saying lol. I am not saying/inferring/implying it won't be faster.

What I am saying is people around here, everything they love about the OHV engine and all that low end torque and not needing it to spin to the moon to make power. this upcoming engine will have none of those characteristics that people here love

I believe you yourself said in one thread you love the low end torque because it makes everyday driving fun, having power everywhere. This engine won't have that, and I am just curious to see how many of those people think this is the greatest thing ever now
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(

Last edited by shaffe; 06-17-2020 at 11:54 AM.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 01:21 PM   #283
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
That's not at all what I am saying lol. I am not saying/inferring/implying it won't be faster.

What I am saying is people around here, everything they love about the OHV engine and all that low end torque and not needing it to spin to the moon to make power. this upcoming engine will have none of those characteristics that people here love

I believe you yourself said in one thread you love the low end torque because it makes everyday driving fun, having power everywhere. This engine won't have that, and I am just curious to see how many of those people think this is the greatest thing ever now
Search my post history and you will find that I have said repeatedly, for years, that I get what the Voodoo is about. It would be insane fun to drive on a track with the engine held between 4500 to 8200 rpm. It would however be frustrating to try to maintain those engine speeds on the street.

The GT350 doesn't have a good low end. The Coyote with an A10 can compensate. A Coyote with a M6 will struggle in todays (16+) environment.

I reasonably expect that the C8 Z06, with a 5.5L direct injected FPC, is not going to disappoint on the street.

Time will tell. Can Chevy deliver an engine that doesn't burn a quart of oil every 500 miles or shake itself apart.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 01:39 PM   #284
shaffe

Quote:
Search my post history and you will find that I have said repeatedly, for years, that I get what the Voodoo is about. It would be insane fun to drive on a track with the engine held between 4500 to 8200 rpm. It would however be frustrating to try to maintain those engine speeds on the street.

The GT350 doesn't have a good low end. The Coyote with an A10 can compensate. A Coyote with a M6 will struggle in todays (16+) environment.

I reasonably expect that the C8 Z06, with a 5.5L direct injected FPC, is not going to disappoint on the street.

Time will tell. Can Chevy deliver an engine that doesn't burn a quart of oil every 500 miles or shake itself apart.
And where do you think the C8 engine will need to be to make power if the rumors are true?

that is my point The very nature of the FPC engine is going to be to rev high and fast. If the Vette really does scream to 9K like the rumors say it won't have low end either and will only be making power in the high end of the power band

The 458 which this car was benchmarked against doesn't make peak torque(398 lb/ft) till 6,000 RPM.

The way your post is reading is basically what I said would happen lol
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
Old 06-17-2020, 01:41 PM   #285
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
GM confirmed today some 2020 orders will have to be converted to 2021 models.
Old 06-17-2020, 01:48 PM   #286
hotlap

Quote:
And where do you think the C8 engine will need to be to make power if the rumors are true?

that is my point The very nature of the FPC engine is going to be to rev high and fast. If the Vette really does scream to 9K like the rumors say it won't have low end either and will only be making power in the high end of the power band

The 458 which this car was benchmarked against doesn't make peak torque(398 lb/ft) till 6,000 RPM.

The way your post is reading is basically what I said would happen lol
Go back and read what I wrote about it being relative.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
Old 06-17-2020, 01:54 PM   #287
shaffe

Quote:
Go back and read what I wrote about it being relative.
I did, I have read it several times. You said the ford would be fun on the track in the high rpms but frustrating on the street but the Corvette with a engine that will have the same attributes will be fine on the street. What am I missing?

Quote:
. It would be insane fun to drive on a track with the engine held between 4500 to 8200 rpm. It would however be frustrating to try to maintain those engine speeds on the street.

Old 06-17-2020, 02:01 PM   #288
hotlap

Quote:
I did, I have read it several times. You said the ford would be fun on the track in the high rpms but frustrating on the street but the Corvette with a engine that will have the same attributes will be fine on the street. What am I missing?
No. About it being relative. The fail possibility is addressed
Quote:
It’s all relative. If the Z06 can 0 to 60 in 2.9 sec like the Z51, I think the Chevy world will be fine with this FPC track terror. If it can’t outrun the $35k, Camaro LT1 A10 ...folks will be disappointed.

Ronald Reagan -
Old 06-17-2020, 02:19 PM   #289
shaffe

EDIT:

I think I get what you are saying but I am still confused lol. It sounds like you are saying as long as the C8Z is fast enough it doesn't matter which I sort of get that line of thinking, because I expect the C8Z to be a missle as well.

The only part that still has me hung up is this: Your words the Voodoo would be fun on the track between 4K and 8K where it makes its power. Frustrating on the street trying to maintain those engine speeds.

You then say the C8Z won't disappoint on the street...

but just by nature of the engine design and if the rumors are true of 600HP at 9K RPM this engine is going to need to be wound up just like the voodoo to be in the sweet spot. Get where I am getting confused?

Last edited by shaffe; 06-18-2020 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-18-2020, 02:06 PM   #290
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/06...ng-huge-tires/

More Z06.
Old 06-18-2020, 04:54 PM   #291
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post

More Z06.
That wing is just awful. I'm sure the shape is dictated by function, but
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 06:01 PM   #292
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Steam rollers for rear wheels look awesome but not sure about the wing. Was there mention of active aero for the Z06?
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 07:40 PM   #293
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
Steam rollers for rear wheels look awesome but not sure about the wing. Was there mention of active aero for the Z06?
The article says active aero may be reserved for the ZR1 and possible Zora models.

I happen to like the wing. I hope the Z06 goes back to the light weight, track focused versions before the C7.
Old 06-18-2020, 08:34 PM   #294
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The article says active aero may be reserved for the ZR1 and possible Zora models.

I happen to like the wing. I hope the Z06 goes back to the light weight, track focused versions before the C7.
There is no way it can achieve the lower weights of the C5 & C6 Z06. Not without using exotic materials like magnesium and lots of carbon fiber.

One of the reasons the C5 Z06 was so light was that it used components that barely held up and in some cases didn't hold up. I had 4 of them and all 4 of them required upgraded rotors because the stock ones would warp. Same with tranny and clutch components. It was light, but made cheaply.

It can be done, but not at the price point GM will price the Z06 at. Porsche manages to do it with the GT3, but that is $160K base and decently optioned closer to $200K.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote