Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-10-2023, 08:28 AM   #1
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
oil in the intake tube

Does anyone else get oil in their intake tube from the fresh air inlet form the passenger side valve cover to the intake tube on a cold air inductions CAI? If so how did you stop it?

I've tried to get it to stop by putting on this oil filter from earl's but it still gets in there somehow.
Name:  New Camaro Engine Bay.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  184.3 KB
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 09:06 AM   #2
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Catch Can
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 09:29 AM   #3
morepowerjoe

I have a mishimoto catch can
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Old 08-10-2023, 09:37 AM   #4
RupertPupkin

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
I have a mishimoto catch can
Maybe dual setup.
730whp: 630Trq
RupertPupkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 09:55 AM   #5
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Maybe something like the Mighty Mouse Wild setup that does a different routing
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...JTcepoubI/edit
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 10:04 AM   #6
morepowerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertPupkin View Post
Maybe dual setup.
Yeah that's what I was thinking about but hate to spend another $300 + dollars on a new set up. That's the only thing I can think of that would filter the clean side of the pcv system.

Old 08-10-2023, 10:05 AM   #7
morepowerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
Maybe something like the Mighty Mouse Wild setup that does a different routing
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...JTcepoubI/edit
Those set ups still have the clean air system in place so it wouldn't do any better.

Old 08-10-2023, 10:52 AM   #8
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
I get that as well from my K&N system. Not all the time though. I know it is coming from that valve cover because if I disconnect the line from my CAI and just leave it laying along my valve cover/manifold it doesn't get in there, plus nothing comes out of the tube end to get on my valve covers. I don't know either. And I do have an RX catch can that does its job.
Old 08-10-2023, 12:05 PM   #9
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Drives: 2011 chevrolet camaro 2ss/rs
I had a mishimoto catch can, and a cold air inductions cold air intake. It was bone dry when I pulled the intake tube off. And I had it routed to my stock valve covers and then to my holley valve covers when I switched to those.

Mods: Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, and X-pipe. Custom mid-pipe, Borla Xr1 mufflers. Torqstorm Supercharger, 3.1" pulley, ZL1 fuel pump. MGW Shifter, Mcleod RST clutch, Tick master cylinder and Tick Billet bushing reinforced slave cylinder. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
The_bald_eagle_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 04:56 PM   #10
morepowerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bald_eagle_machine View Post
I had a mishimoto catch can, and a cold air inductions cold air intake. It was bone dry when I pulled the intake tube off. And I had it routed to my stock valve covers and then to my holley valve covers when I switched to those.
But I have extra big piston ring gaps for my boost later on. 25/27

Old 08-11-2023, 06:28 AM   #11
The_bald_eagle_machine
Anthony S

Drives: 2011 chevrolet camaro 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
But I have extra big piston ring gaps for my boost later on. 25/27
True. I didn't think of that. Then you might wanna get the Mightymouse "wild" catch can like I did. It uses the port on the intake, and the oil fill cap. He sells an adapter that fits the Holley valve covers as well. With that kit you block off the valley cover port with a vacuum cap. Or you may be able to get away with just venting the valve cover with a breather?

Also I just noticed that your catch can is not routed as intended. The mishimoto is supposed to have the inlet from the manifold and the outlet to the valley cover. It looks like yours in Tee'd into the valve cover port. Not sure if that makes a difference, I'm just pointing it out.

Mods: Texas Speed 2 inch headers, high flow cats, and X-pipe. Custom mid-pipe, Borla Xr1 mufflers. Torqstorm Supercharger, 3.1" pulley, ZL1 fuel pump. MGW Shifter, Mcleod RST clutch, Tick master cylinder and Tick Billet bushing reinforced slave cylinder. DSS One-piece 3.5" Driveshaft, Metco Driveshaft safety loop, BCRacing Coilovers. BMR Poly Diff bushings, Poly Rear cradle bushings, Sub-frame connectors, Lower control arms, camber arms, and toe links.
The_bald_eagle_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 07:28 AM   #12
morepowerjoe

Yeah I've been talking to a guy at mighty mouse and I told him that I want to do it all (drag race, road race, and more) and he recommended thier mild can with the recirculating top. And then I told him my problem with the oil in the intake tube. So he said there's a modification that can be done to the can that will allow more to flow through the can to reduce the positive crank pressure but told me that the modification would have to be done by me giving no instructions on how to even do it. So that was the end of that conversation.

Old 08-11-2023, 07:37 AM   #13
morepowerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bald_eagle_machine View Post
True. I didn't think of that. Then you might wanna get the Mightymouse "wild" catch can like I did. It uses the port on the intake, and the oil fill cap. He sells an adapter that fits the Holley valve covers as well. With that kit you block off the valley cover port with a vacuum cap. Or you may be able to get away with just venting the valve cover with a breather?

Also I just noticed that your catch can is not routed as intended. The mishimoto is supposed to have the inlet from the manifold and the outlet to the valley cover. It looks like yours in Tee'd into the valve cover port. Not sure if that makes a difference, I'm just pointing it out.
I have mine routed that way because I have the l92 valley cover without the pcv / dod provision in it and thus no port on the cover. So since I have a vvt engine in stock form it had the pcv orfice in the drivers side valve cover. So I have mine set up pulling crank case gasses from the drivers side valve cover through the catch can and then into the intake manifold vacuum source.

Old 08-11-2023, 08:13 AM   #14
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Your catch can setup only flows under vacuum - which you don't have at wide open throttle. That line is for venting crank case pressure, which with big ring gaps I'm sure you get a bunch of.

There are a few solutions, but I would get an Elite Engineering clean side separator. You'll cap the valve cover, and move the line to the clean side separator, which replaces the oil fill cap with a small air oil separator with a check valve so that it only flows when you've got pressure. The oil drains right back into the valve cover, rather than venting to your intake.

Eventually, if you're adding boost, you'll need to rework your crankcase vent system in a more comprehensive way to handle the additional flow you'll see, and a vented can would make sense.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote