Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-02-2023, 02:26 PM   #15
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgt O View Post
I would look for better ones, turning them is iffy if you get someone who doesnt do it properly. Time to upgrade to drilled and slotted....
I have some blue ebc ndx race pads I have been saving for the ls festival this year. So I might take a chance and have them turned and buy some better ones for the autocross at the ls festival to go with the better brake pads that I have. Oh and does anyone know if I can reuse my old pads on a turned rotor or should I get new ones for the street?
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 03:44 PM   #16
acutron42

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS AGM
Before you spend any money you could check the runout with a dial indicator.
acutron42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 03:57 PM   #17
morepowerjoe

I guess I should but will I, probably not. I have a dial gauge but don't have a magnetic base for it When I have them turned will they not come out straight or something? What am I missing?
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Old 01-02-2023, 04:41 PM   #18
Pkeen

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/rs, 2008 Avalanche
The problem with turning rotors is they will be easier to warp again ,plus if they have hot spots in them those likely won't come out and can still give vibrations.
I find it better to just use the money that would be spent on turning and buy new rotors ! My 2cents.
2010 Rally Yellow 2ss/rs , M6 ,416ci , K1 rods & crank,weisco -3.0cc dome pistons,.040 head gasket, 11.5 compression,1 3/4" LT ,3" pipes w/x-pipe no cats, Cam Motion cam 239/247 113+3 .621"/604" lift , BTR .660 Platinum dual springs w/Titanium retainers, CAI . Stock ls3 heads,intake,injectors & TB. 515rwhp/500rwtq.
Pkeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 04:47 PM   #19
morepowerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkeen View Post
The problem with turning rotors is they will be easier to warp again ,plus if they have hot spots in them those likely won't come out and can still give vibrations.
I find it better to just use the money that would be spent on turning and buy new rotors ! My 2cents.
Well thank you I kinda figured that but it's good to hear someone say it. So I think I'll just get some new ones.

Old 01-12-2023, 05:39 AM   #20
James20

Drives: '12 2SS/RS convertible '98 Z28 ttop
Had a horrible steering wheel shake last year. Had tires, brakes, front end stuff all checked out. Replaced several items, no change. Dealer couldn’t even figure it out. Talked to a friend of mine who is a mechanic, told me sounded like rack and pinion steering. I told him do it. Solved it! Hope it’s not that for you, but just wanted to add this info for u.
James20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 05:46 AM   #21
morepowerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by James20 View Post
Had a horrible steering wheel shake last year. Had tires, brakes, front end stuff all checked out. Replaced several items, no change. Dealer couldn’t even figure it out. Talked to a friend of mine who is a mechanic, told me sounded like rack and pinion steering. I told him do it. Solved it! Hope it’s not that for you, but just wanted to add this info for u.
Thanks for sharing.

Old 01-14-2023, 01:54 AM   #22
morepowerjoe

Ok so I've narrowed it down to it only does it when cold outside when braking at around 55 mph. Could it be because the rotors are cold and somehow straightening out when they are warm?

Old 01-14-2023, 09:38 AM   #23
bsn

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Try a backing pad with a medium Scotchbrite pad spinning the rotor with gentle pressure until the surface is even. You can get to both sides by removing the caliper, a drill works but an angle die grinder works better. Clean the rotor off with brake clean and see if your problem disappears.

https://www.harborfreight.com/pack-o...scs-99984.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-in-t...pad-58309.html
bsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 10:03 AM   #24
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
Ok so I've narrowed it down to it only does it when cold outside when braking at around 55 mph. Could it be because the rotors are cold and somehow straightening out when they are warm?
I've had good luck with OReileys turning my rotors at a reasonable price. They are already heat cycled and don't seem to warp any easier than new rotors on a street car. It's been mentioned several times, did you do that?
No they won't warp and unwarp on colder days.
I might guess tire issue if you have checked other things and bearings and rotors.
If i read that correctly 171,000mi so other things not so common, mentioned are a possibility. Worn parts and bearings which are less likely on a lower mi car.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 10:07 AM   #25
MSgt O

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS Vert LS3/M6
Heat/cold is very much an issue with metal expansion and contraction and if they do it cold and not warm, Id look at the rotors specifically. Also, no, I wouldnt turn rotors for a track car, ever.
MSgt O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 10:37 AM   #26
morepowerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
I've had good luck with OReileys turning my rotors at a reasonable price. They are already heat cycled and don't seem to warp any easier than new rotors on a street car. It's been mentioned several times, did you do that?
No they won't warp and unwarp on colder days.
I might guess tire issue if you have checked other things and bearings and rotors.
If i read that correctly 171,000mi so other things not so common, mentioned are a possibility. Worn parts and bearings which are less likely on a lower mi car.
My son works at the local O'Reilly's so I might just go ahead and let him turn them and see what happens. It won't cost me anything to find out.