Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-11-2023, 08:29 AM   #15
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
Your catch can setup only flows under vacuum - which you don't have at wide open throttle. That line is for venting crank case pressure, which with big ring gaps I'm sure you get a bunch of.

There are a few solutions, but I would get an Elite Engineering clean side separator. You'll cap the valve cover, and move the line to the clean side separator, which replaces the oil fill cap with a small air oil separator with a check valve so that it only flows when you've got pressure. The oil drains right back into the valve cover, rather than venting to your intake.

Eventually, if you're adding boost, you'll need to rework your crankcase vent system in a more comprehensive way to handle the additional flow you'll see, and a vented can would make sense.
Thank you Andrew. I was thinking of doing just that after looking at their cans yesterday. Seems like a no brainer.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 08:59 AM   #16
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
Thank you Andrew. I was thinking of doing just that after looking at their cans yesterday. Seems like a no brainer.
It's close to the simplest solution to your problem, outside of a vent to atmosphere valve cover breather, which is also an option, and how I run mine. You smell it when you make crankcase pressure, and I often think about going to a fully closed system.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 10:53 AM   #17
Trawz

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
I got less then a teaspoon of oil in my intake tube and designed and built a custom dual catch can system.
Two Mishi catch cans. One is the original that hooks into the valley cover, the other hooks into the passenger side valve cover.

The second can gets probably 2oz of oil in it a year.
But at least it is not going into the intake!
Corsa Extreme cat-back, Speed Engineering LT Headers with black ceramic coating, C7 Z06 Front Brake Upgrade, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, BMR Tunnel Brace, Mishimoto Oil Catch Can, MSD Plug Wires, Mishimoto Radiator and Hoses.
Trawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 11:53 AM   #18
morepowerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trawz View Post
I got less then a teaspoon of oil in my intake tube and designed and built a custom dual catch can system.
Two Mishi catch cans. One is the original that hooks into the valley cover, the other hooks into the passenger side valve cover.

The second can gets probably 2oz of oil in it a year.
But at least it is not going into the intake!
That's definitely unique!
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Old 08-11-2023, 03:26 PM   #19
morepowerjoe

Well I didn't even know that Mishimoto sold 3 port catch cans until I found out I needed one. I just purchased this one. It will be here next week so after a while of running it I'll let everyone know how it goes.

https://www.mishimoto.com/xl-baffled...an-3-port.html

Old 08-11-2023, 05:01 PM   #20
Trawz

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
I wanted to see how much oil actually came through that valve cover vent and I had a spare catch can from my past car... So I thought that up!
Just designed up that bracket, bent it up, painted it and, and slapped it in there with some spare hose that fit.
I have since swapped out the hose for some much nicer braided lines.
It gets way less oil though it then the valley cover one.

The Mishi 3 port would be a much simpler solution. Hahaha!
Corsa Extreme cat-back, Speed Engineering LT Headers with black ceramic coating, C7 Z06 Front Brake Upgrade, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, BMR Tunnel Brace, Mishimoto Oil Catch Can, MSD Plug Wires, Mishimoto Radiator and Hoses.
Trawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2023, 06:13 PM   #21
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
It's close to the simplest solution to your problem, outside of a vent to atmosphere valve cover breather, which is also an option, and how I run mine. You smell it when you make crankcase pressure, and I often think about going to a fully closed system.
I too have this on my passenger side valve cover. I have the one with the check valve in it. Forgot where I got it from, but they are in Orlando Fl.
Old 08-11-2023, 08:22 PM   #22
RupertPupkin

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1Le
Quote:
Yeah that's what I was thinking about but hate to spend another $300 + dollars on a new set up. That's the only thing I can think of that would filter the clean side of the pcv system.
I had 1 of these in my c6z, before I got a Mighty Mouse Can. Worked very well. I just added some steel wool inside to catch/filter the oil vapors.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/35312890770...mis&media=COPY
730whp: 630Trq
RupertPupkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 01:47 AM   #23
morepowerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RupertPupkin View Post
I had 1 of these in my c6z, before I got a Mighty Mouse Can. Worked very well. I just added some steel wool inside to catch/filter the oil vapors.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/35312890770...mis&media=COPY
Looks like pretty good quality for the price!

Old 08-12-2023, 07:49 AM   #24
larry_g

Drives: 2014 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Yeah I've been talking to a guy at mighty mouse and I told him that I want to do it all (drag race, road race, and more) and he recommended thier mild can with the recirculating top. And then I told him my problem with the oil in the intake tube. So he said there's a modification that can be done to the can that will allow more to flow through the can to reduce the positive crank pressure but told me that the modification would have to be done by me giving no instructions on how to even do it. So that was the end of that conversation.
FWIW, I had great support from MM before and especially after the sale. He was quick to reply and helped me get the flow through the catch can under control because the combination of Holley valve covers and Whipple blower was pulling oil out at an alarming rate.

I also put a one way check valve in the clean air side so it can't suck oil back through that hose.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
830 WHP 700 WTQ, Whipple 2.9 @ 13lbs Boost, Flex Fuel Tune by Blevins Tuning, LSA SBE, 3.5 GripTec, ATI LS3 Damper, AFR 260cc Mongoose, ARP Studs, Yella Terra Ultralites, Johnson 2110R, BTR PDS Stage 3, Melling 10355, Improved Racing Baffle, ID1050X, DSX Triple Fuel Pump, RotoFab CAI, NW 103mm TB, Stainless Works 1-7/8" LTH to 3" Speed Eng w/ X-pipe to NPP, Powermaster 9509 XS, Detroit Speed Motor Mounts, MGW, Monster LT1-S, ZL1 Calipers, DBA Rotors & Pads, Bilstein B6 Struts & Shocks, BMR 1.25" Drop Springs & Adj Rear Bar, Pegasus Solid Bushings, Z/28 Wheels, other misc parts.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 12:08 PM   #25
morepowerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_g View Post
FWIW, I had great support from MM before and especially after the sale. He was quick to reply and helped me get the flow through the catch can under control because the combination of Holley valve covers and Whipple blower was pulling oil out at an alarming rate.

I also put a one way check valve in the clean air side so it can't suck oil back through that hose.

Yeah he was good answering all my questions and all but like I said he just told me to basically figure out how to do the mod for yourself and I couldn't believe he done me that way.

Old 08-12-2023, 02:47 PM   #26
larry_g

Drives: 2014 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Yeah he was good answering all my questions and all but like I said he just told me to basically figure out how to do the mod for yourself and I couldn't believe he done me that way.
That's a shame to hear.

Anyway, consider a one-way valve in the hose between the elbow and valve cover so it won't flow backwards and suck oil into the intake.

830 WHP 700 WTQ, Whipple 2.9 @ 13lbs Boost, Flex Fuel Tune by Blevins Tuning, LSA SBE, 3.5 GripTec, ATI LS3 Damper, AFR 260cc Mongoose, ARP Studs, Yella Terra Ultralites, Johnson 2110R, BTR PDS Stage 3, Melling 10355, Improved Racing Baffle, ID1050X, DSX Triple Fuel Pump, RotoFab CAI, NW 103mm TB, Stainless Works 1-7/8" LTH to 3" Speed Eng w/ X-pipe to NPP, Powermaster 9509 XS, Detroit Speed Motor Mounts, MGW, Monster LT1-S, ZL1 Calipers, DBA Rotors & Pads, Bilstein B6 Struts & Shocks, BMR 1.25" Drop Springs & Adj Rear Bar, Pegasus Solid Bushings, Z/28 Wheels, other misc parts.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote