Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-14-2024, 09:29 PM   #15
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Door gasket issue is easy to solve.. plumber grease ( silicon grease), take some on rag and coat the gasket. No need for gobs, just very light coating.. like applying car wax.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 09:53 PM   #16
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
sure is!

Gotta make excuses to use heated steering wheel and seats.

Amazing! Do you have more of these videos?
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 05:49 PM   #17
JKOR

Drives: 2023 1SS 6 speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorsoDuroJohn View Post
this is my 3rd or 4th winter with the camaro on snow tires. No issues with that.

The problem the Camaro has in winter is that the frameless windows freeze to the weather stripping when the conditions are right. And you might think that's ok i don't have to open my windows, BUT good luck opening the door also!

And another thing, if you are outdoors for any length of time, and snow and ice build up on the trunk lid, good luck not removing paint along with opening that up.
Oh… I tried to open the trunk. I’ll see what it looks like when everything thaws
JKOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 09:38 PM   #18
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
Amazing! Do you have more of these videos?

Before snow tires this was EARLY Nov 15 snow storm.. caught entire region by surprise.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

Old 01-17-2024, 05:49 PM   #19
JKOR

Drives: 2023 1SS 6 speed
mine was fine on a flat road as well. any up hill and the car would not move.
JKOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 09:52 PM   #20
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
You're doing it wrong, you need to drive in reverse, then it becomes front wheel drive.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 05:25 AM   #21
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Texas actually gets blizzard conditions in the panhandle/north of Dallas area. That area is still part of the Rocky Mountains and it is prone to those kinds of conditions.

This was just 2 weeks ago... and yes, I get it, it's not 10 ft deep... but it has happened..

Old 01-23-2024, 09:44 AM   #22
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
Texas actually gets blizzard conditions in the panhandle/north of Dallas area. That area is still part of the Rocky Mountains and it is prone to those kinds of conditions.

This was just 2 weeks ago... and yes, I get it, it's not 10 ft deep... but it has happened..

And then it's gone in a day or two.

Mainly, they get freezing rain/frozen slush and no way to remove it, THAT can stick around for a few days and shut everything down. It's not "part of the rocky mountains" (WTF!?) but cold fronts coming down from Canada have nothing to oppose them in the plains. I've been there for many of these events. But as justification for snow tires and AWD, it's pretty ridiculous. That's like saying I need a convertible in Barrow.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 01:56 PM   #23
m1cha3l

Drives: 2023 Camaro 2SS 6 Speed
I'll chime in here and hope its not too late

I live in Chicago suburbs with some inclines and almost no curves so I bought a set of performance winter tires as regular snow tires such as Blizzaks as way too soft for me

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...num=45VR8WTPXL

Mounted on

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whee...utoModClar=2SS

Don't like the wheels all that much but that's another story.

Tires are great at temps around 45-50 or less, it gets a bit dicey if its below 0 and or if there is like 6-8 inches of snow but snow mode helps a lot. It won't take you immune to winter conditions but it buys you 500-1000 rpm or so. I don't like driving in this mode at all but it is what it is.

When its dry out I would say that I have about 75% of summer tire capabilities. You can ease into the throttle and once you are around 1500-2000 you can floor it without loosing traction. In my experience spirited driving in touring mode is just fine.

When it's wet out you will start slipping around 3000 rpm depending on how much throttle and how quickly you apply it.

When its snows and it's cold you basically have to baby it in touring mode or snow mode.

Even with moderate to significant traction loss car stays planted mostly in a straight line. Traction and stability control will cut power significantly so you have to get used to that.

When we first got a a lot of snow this year it took me 3 tries to get into my garage which is on a lot of incline, I just needed some momentum, so I reversed into the street and tried again.

Never tried snow driving without all of the nannies off but I could see benefit in some cases.

Hope this helps
m1cha3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 02:07 PM   #24
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
And then it's gone in a day or two.

Mainly, they get freezing rain/frozen slush and no way to remove it, THAT can stick around for a few days and shut everything down. It's not "part of the rocky mountains" (WTF!?) but cold fronts coming down from Canada have nothing to oppose them in the plains. I've been there for many of these events. But as justification for snow tires and AWD, it's pretty ridiculous. That's like saying I need a convertible in Barrow.
Actually, no... that area doesn't go away over night or even in a day or two. Some of those areas stay covered in snow most of the winter.

As for the comment of the Rocky Mountains, they extend into New Mexico which is nearby, which in turn does cause issues with the weather for the panhandle area of Texas..... mountain regions impact weather...
Old 01-26-2024, 03:07 PM   #25
SomeGeoffGuy

Drives: 2023 2SS Convertible
Get a truck for the winter. Your car deserves to be salt free!

If they don't use road salt where you are moving, then snow tires work fine. I drove my 2012 through winter for two years with a set of 19" Blizzaks. It was a manual too, which I honestly think made it easier.

-Geoff
SomeGeoffGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2024, 09:33 PM   #26
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Camaros like salt, makes them taste better.

Old 01-27-2024, 08:06 PM   #27
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrocker View Post
I have Vredestein winter tires, nothing in the trunk. The tires are highly recommended. They feel like they bite down into the snow and have excellent traction.

It’s all about the tires, not the car. Remember, those of us of a certain age all grew up driving rear drive cars with V8 engines.

Vredestein Wintrac Pro are the only Winter / snow tires recommended by Tirerack for the Camaro SS in stock sizes.
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 08:44 PM   #28
MT-SS1LE

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE Sharkskin
Just wanna say, you guys are nuts driving these cars in ice and snow. I have dedicated snow tires (Blizzaks) on my Tundra and Wrangler, and in icy conditions even 4wd is dicey and risky. And neither have 450+ hp. Not to mention the amount of rust you get from that salt and brine crap they spray is unreal. To each their own, but I would buy a winter beater before risking my car in wintery conditions it was not designed to be in.