Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-29-2024, 05:50 AM   #1
Max_Burnside

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro 2LT RS V6 3.6L
Stock 245/40ZR20 on a 9" or 9.5" Wheel?

If anyone has done this on a 9" wheel or a 9.5" wheel, can you tell me does the tire sidewall on a 245/40 stock tire look straight up and down to the tire edge or does it look stretched? Tire specs says it can fit 8-9.5" wheel but I want sidewall straight up and down 0 stretch. I might do a stage 1 stretch but no further.

If it looks stretched, how stretched is it on a scale of 1-3 with stage 3 stretch highest you can safely go without fear of losing tire due to bead stretched too far?

Anyone have any bad experieinces with stretching a tire too far?

Thanks in advance.
Max_Burnside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2024, 05:59 PM   #2
BatMobileLT1

Drives: 2023 Camaro LT1 M6
Can you clarify what your goal is - You want the most wheel size options you can safely consider for the stock 245 wheels?
If so, https://www.tirerack.com also says that tire size is good for wheels from 8" to 9.5" wide.
if you want to get one of the more perfect wheel sizes for the 245's I would stay with one of the middle two sizes: 8.5" or 9".

As tirerack recommends up to 9.5" width, I would think you would be fine with that too but don't know about whether it would look any different.
However, if you have a choice on new wheel width sizes going wider wheels than you really need for the 245's will likely add some weight and maybe some cost with no real benefit? (unless you are planning to upgrade later to wider tires on these same wheels, then it would of course).
Old 01-29-2024, 06:25 PM   #3
Max_Burnside

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro 2LT RS V6 3.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatMobileLT1 View Post
Can you clarify what your goal is - You want the most wheel size options you can safely consider for the stock 245 wheels?
If so, https://www.tirerack.com also says that tire size is good for wheels from 8" to 9.5" wide.
if you want to get one of the more perfect wheel sizes for the 245's I would stay with one of the middle two sizes: 8.5" or 9".

As tirerack recommends up to 9.5" width, I would think you would be fine with that too but don't know about whether it would look any different.
However, if you have a choice on new wheel width sizes going wider wheels than you really need for the 245's will likely add some weight and maybe some cost with no real benefit? (unless you are planning to upgrade later to wider tires on these same wheels, then it would of course).
Thanks for the reply. I found the answer I was looking for earlier with a phone call with Fitment Industries. He said I'd get zero stretch from 9" BUT a 1/2 or stage 1 stretch from a 9.5" rim. I don't want any stretch. He said it wouldn't be unsafe though at a stage 1 stretch so it would work just with a slight inward angle of the sidewall.

My goal was to find as many options for aftermarket wheels without stretching the bead and messing up the sidewall angle past 90 degrees. Reason is I don't like the stretched look of tires but wouldn't throw my tires away if it happened.

Also, I found a set of rotary forged wheels on clearance for $181 each I'm thinking about getting which is like $725 if you special order them apiece. But they're only in 9 or 9.5" widths and was thinking of getting the 9.5" which they list in a table of recomended sizes for comaros which is safe but then again a 9.5 would be stretching to a trained eye. Same price for both so I'll get the 9's. Also new tires on there so wouldn't want to throw out $350 tires.

I'll give my local tire place a try first for them to earn my business but $800 total with tax for rotary forged wheels is hard to pass up.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Max_Burnside; 01-29-2024 at 06:26 PM. Reason: typing error
Max_Burnside is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
245/40, size 20", tire, wheel