The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-23-2020, 11:01 PM   #15
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Leave your C8 outside in the snow, you DESERVE to have your wheels stolen!!!
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 11:22 PM   #16
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
What airheaded engineer leaves an IVER parked in the g-d street??

That particular car probably cost GM a half mill to build.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 02:14 AM   #17
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
I just acquired a set of them and I'll let go real cheap....
95 imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 05:16 AM   #18
Camaro_QC

Drives: 08 Tiburon GS, 2018 Camaro 2.0T
First of, as people mentioned, why is this car outside in the snow?

And yeah I imagine the Craigslist ad

"Corvette C8 wheels like New"

... When the VIN 0001 IS NOT built yet...
1100 - 5/08/2018 | 3800 - 6/18/2018
2000 - 5/09/2018 | 4200 - 6/21/2018
3000 - 5/28/2018 | 5000 - 6/27/2018
6000 - 6/29/2018
Camaro_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 06:40 AM   #19
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
This is simply disgusting behavior. Add it to the list.

Thieves and liars...

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 07:53 AM   #20
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
This is simply disgusting behavior. Add it to the list.

Thieves and liars...
Yes thieves are scum, but what I want to know is why on earth did the engineer assigned to that particular car leave it out on the street to begin with.

These IVERs are not finalized production cars. Thankfully the scumbags only got the wheels. If they had stolen the whole car, the issue that GM would face is a vehicle without finalized production parts getting out into the public. Once full scale production begins these IVERs get destroyed. Yes, every "2020 Corvette" you've seen to this point (except for MAYBE one or two that will be tucked away in the vaults or land in a GM owned museum someday) will actually be destroyed once the REAL ones start full scale production. These cars have no VIN and cannot be licenced and registered for the street. They're also exempt from all North American emission testing. And letting these out to the public would be a risk GM cannot take on, as a part may fail causing injury to someone. So long as it's in the possession of a GM employee, it's insured as property of General Motors.

Believe me, this engineer had a sit down with his manager and maybe even Mary Barra herself when he got back to the office after reporting the wheels were stolen because he left it on the street.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:09 AM   #21
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
Yes thieves are scum, but what I want to know is why on earth did the engineer assigned to that particular car leave it out on the street to begin with.

These IVERs are not finalized production cars. Thankfully the scumbags only got the wheels. If they had stolen the whole car, the issue that GM would face is a vehicle without finalized production parts getting out into the public. Once full scale production begins these IVERs get destroyed. Yes, every "2020 Corvette" you've seen to this point (except for MAYBE one or two that will be tucked away in the vaults or land in a GM owned museum someday) will actually be destroyed once the REAL ones start full scale production. These cars have no VIN and cannot be licenced and registered for the street. They're also exempt from all North American emission testing. And letting these out to the public would be a risk GM cannot take on, as a part may fail causing injury to someone. So long as it's in the possession of a GM employee, it's insured as property of General Motors.

Believe me, this engineer had a sit down with his manager and maybe even Mary Barra herself when he got back to the office after reporting the wheels were stolen because he left it on the street.

I mean if it's a CTF car (which at this late stage of development it very likely could be) it has a VIN and can be saleable once full production starts. A lot of the 5th gen Camaro CTF cars are now in customer hands.

And this has happened before...to a member on this site actually. Granted they stole the wheels off of the car in his driveway.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:51 AM   #22

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I didn't see any info that stated that is where the car was parked by the owner/engineer when the wheels were stolen.

The whole car could have been stolen from a different location and then parked there to steal the wheels. Bummer either way.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 12:14 PM   #23
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
I mean if it's a CTF car (which at this late stage of development it very likely could be) it has a VIN and can be saleable once full production starts. A lot of the 5th gen Camaro CTF cars are now in customer hands.

And this has happened before...to a member on this site actually. Granted they stole the wheels off of the car in his driveway.
Yeah you're right at this point they're probably CTF. I was at Barrett-Jackson last week and they had a display just for the new Corvette, you could walk right up to and around it you just couldn't go inside the car. There was a sticker in the engine bay stating vehicle was exempt from North American emission testing.
Old 01-24-2020, 12:59 PM   #24
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Interesting....so far we have a gm employee lost control of one a few months back and ran into oncoming traffic. Then 2 are caught and busted for running 100+ in a 45mph zone and now this. Wonder what's next
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 01:27 PM   #25
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveradoss573 View Post
Interesting....so far we have a gm employee lost control of one a few months back and ran into oncoming traffic. Then 2 are caught and busted for running 100+ in a 45mph zone and now this. Wonder what's next
was just about to say that, not been a good month of press for the C8 lol
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 01:37 PM   #26
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
was just about to say that, not been a good month of press for the C8 lol
The C8 is fine, it’s the hilljacks responsible for them who are screwing up.

These guys all make close to or over 6 figures and have really good, well positioned jobs in GM to have access to these cars and they’re risking all that. It’s like “uh, duuuuh”
Old 01-24-2020, 02:12 PM   #27
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:

Most pre-pros get crushed. But others are saleable, or can be converted to saleable units with minimal effort. It mostly depends on how far along the program was when it got built.

Given that we're about a week out from regular production beginning, any car built in Bowling Green is going to have all the production parts and everything will be validated. What they're doing at this point will be working out how to assemble the pieces quickly & correctly. Such cars often get sold used.

Others that were built a short while ago, might have a few trim pieces that got tweaked or something. Change those out, and you've got something identical to a regular production car.

Now, the ones that were hand built on a dummy line to 'prove' the car is in fact build-able, or the ones that were engineering prototypes? Yeah, the only way they're leaving GM's hands is as a little cube of metal and plastic.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 02:33 PM   #28
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
The C8 is fine, it’s the hilljacks responsible for them who are screwing up.

These guys all make close to or over 6 figures and have really good, well positioned jobs in GM to have access to these cars and they’re risking all that. It’s like “uh, duuuuh”
Yeah the car itself is fine, but still not good pub when you have one crash, engineers arrested for racing and then the wheels get stolen off one.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote