Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-01-2017, 11:19 AM   #29
NemesisC5

Drives: 1999 Corvette C5
And Just When Everyone Gives Up on Z28 - The Rumor Mill Comes Alive !

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=486010
NemesisC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:30 AM   #30

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
But I think most Camaro guys wanted to see a direct NA competitor to the GT350R. That being said, The ZL1 1LE car should have been manual seats, no a/c, no back seat, radio delete, or something similar to the 80's 1LE and what ford did with the GT350R. Who wants a loaded creature comfort track car? Chevy isn't serious enough like other manufacture's.
Most of what you suggest was incorporated into the 5thGen Z/28, and not many wanted it....The 5th Gen SS 1LE had plenty of creature comforts, as do all the 6thGen 1LEs...

I'd say obviously many creature comforts that the ZL1 still have do not impact track performance. At any rate they apparently weren't worth the expense to eliminate to achieve the desired result...

Still, this ZL1 1LE is a unique track animal....Suspension system of unique components, tires and wheels, etc....This would have been called a Z/28 had it not had the LT4....I think they realized a stripped down model (of any kind) just won't sell....I think they knew that before they even built the 5thGen Z/28, but went ahead with it anyway....Probably not necessary with the engineering platform offered in the 6thGens...

I think once the dust has settled the hard core track rats will see the benefits of this ZL1 1LE and will gravitate to it and not hold their breath for a Z/28....
Performance will trump nostalgia and heritage for those who want to enjoy the track...

Last edited by 90503; 03-01-2017 at 11:48 AM.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:39 AM   #31
NemesisC5

Some more info from Road and Track

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=486010
Old 03-01-2017, 12:10 PM   #32
NemesisC5

Don Sherman Promises the Camaro Z/28 is Coming…

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...=1#post9587951
Old 03-01-2017, 12:22 PM   #33
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I will disagree with that. I have been trying to type out a response for about ten minutes and can't think of how to say it with out offending anyone haha. So i'll give this a shot and this is just my opinion.

yes the Z/28 was great in its racing career in the Trans Am series but as far as on the street more people were attracted to the big block cars. My dad was 20 in 1969 and if you wanted to be known as the fastest guy in town you had a big block car.

The first gen Z/28 is very desirable today because they were rare and I think people appreciate now the history associated with the car, and I think that is where some of the thought it has to be this super special car comes from.

Basically I don't recall people ever calling a Z/28 the halo top of the line Camaro untill the 5th gen went all out and made it that way
Your points are all true but the Z/28 names trumps the 1LE so the idea of a 1LE package on the Z/28 is counterintuitive. Chevy also made it clear in the 5th gen that they will protect that badge going forward. Maybe "retire its number" if a suitable car can't be built

You can also see that Chevy's priorities have changed since your Dad's day. World class handling, rather than numb straight line rockets, and the ZL1 shows that. The ZL1's straight line performance is adequate for what the competition has already done but it excels by what it can also do on the track. The priority was not building a better Hellcat or GT500.

My opinion regarding the ZL1-1LE... Use a package to set the track performance bar high for the rumored GT500.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 03:00 PM   #34
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
Your points are all true but the Z/28 names trumps the 1LE so the idea of a 1LE package on the Z/28 is counterintuitive. Chevy also made it clear in the 5th gen that they will protect that badge going forward. Maybe "retire its number" if a suitable car can't be built

You can also see that Chevy's priorities have changed since your Dad's day. World class handling, rather than numb straight line rockets, and the ZL1 shows that. The ZL1's straight line performance is adequate for what the competition has already done but it excels by what it can also do on the track. The priority was not building a better Hellcat or GT500.

My opinion regarding the ZL1-1LE... Use a package to set the track performance bar high for the rumored GT500.
I totally agree with you. Chevy has gone all out to build best overall performance cars they can.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 03:15 PM   #35
NemesisC5

Spy shots on Autoblog showing "something in camo"

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/03/01/c...#slide-4621372

GM Authority's speculation regarding the Autoblog "spy shots"

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2017/03/...et-camaro-z28/

My take: We've seen the GM internal document showing LT5 DOHC V8, Katech put up and took down LT5 section on their website, countless rumors regarding 6.2 DOHC for Corvette ZR1....I think we'll see Corvette C7 ZR1 debut 2018 with NA 6.2 DOHC then we'll see Z28 with same engine to follow in 2019. The rumored smaller NA DOHC 5.5 LT6 and TT DOHC LT7 motors with flat plane cranks could be meant for C8 Corvette and the mid engine halo car that may be named the "Zora". 100% my speculation based on rumors, spy photos, etc...
Old 03-02-2017, 03:32 PM   #36
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
That's not a Z/28. Tires don't look wide enough, brakes are too small, little or no aero.

Its either a turbo 4 1LE or refresh Camaro.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:49 PM   #37
NemesisC5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
That's not a Z/28. Tires don't look wide enough, brakes are too small, little or no aero.

Its either a turbo 4 1LE or refresh Camaro.
Whatever it is it's obviously not obvious nor would GM want it to be...what is obvious is they are developing "something new", possibly a motor in a generic camo mule.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:58 AM   #38
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisC5 View Post
Whatever it is it's obviously not obvious nor would GM want it to be...what is obvious is they are developing "something new", possibly a motor in a generic camo mule.
If it was a new motor they could do it in just that a mule. They wouldn't need the excessive camo

When ford was getting ready for the current gen F-150 they tested some of the stuff in plain sight in existing trucks

BUT like the others have said, if this was some high performance model, the brakes, wheels and aero is all lacking for it to be a high performance model
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:36 AM   #39
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
I think the most obvious answer is the refresh, and possibly turbo 4 1LE.