Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-05-2016, 12:33 PM   #169
13vertss

Drives: 2013 Camaro convertible 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by formoutofchaos View Post
curious do you think the 350 will hold its value far longer than the New 2016 SS?
the GT350 you can't even look at them now they are all above MSRP but to me they aren't gonna drop much as the years roll by...... Im mostly excited for 2017 1LE
When you only make 5000 a year which is close to 1/2 of what Chevy makes in a month, of course they will hold there value.
13vertss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:37 PM   #170
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by formoutofchaos View Post
curious do you think the 350 will hold its value far longer than the New 2016 SS?
the GT350 you can't even look at them now they are all above MSRP but to me they aren't gonna drop much as the years roll by...... Im mostly excited for 2017 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
It's a special model with Shelby on it.. Yes.
The GT350 was out at the time these awards were given out by Kelly Blue Book...

BEST RESALE VALUE AWARD: 2016 CAMARO SS
Old 03-05-2016, 02:48 PM   #171
titanfan
Account Suspended

Drives: Several in a big garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
My dealer was giving me the car at MSRP, no BS markups. After I changed my mind my friend took over the order. Dealer gave me my deposit back, and took one from him and kept their word on price for him.
Why would any dealer take a deposit for a car like the GT350? It's not like if the car came in and you elected not to take delivery, they couldn't sell the car to twenty other people. In my experience, dealers who offer an MSRP deal on a hot car like the GT350 would not bother with a deposit. Which dealer was it again?
titanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 04:47 PM   #172
Mike502

Drives: 2016 C7 conv 7 speed. Black/black
47,000 Shelby GT 500's and they are a dime a dozen. 350 will just add more shelby's to the total. 5 years from now there will be over 60,000 shelbys. Just too too many. Not exclusive.
On top of this you have Shelbys from Shelby American. Shelby GT, Shelby GT 500KR, GT 350 and the super snake. They also will turn your
Mustang GT into a Shelby. There are just so so many Shelby's out there.
They are fun machines for sure just not exclusive and will depreciate like a Vettes . Vipers and the list goes on. It's great for us car guys when you buy used over the next 10 years.

Last edited by Mike502; 03-05-2016 at 04:58 PM.
Mike502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:04 PM   #173
formoutofchaos

Drives: Camaro 2017 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike502 View Post
47,000 Shelby GT 500's and they are a dime a dozen. 350 will just add more shelby's to the total. 5 years from now there will be over 60,000 shelbys. Just too too many. Not exclusive.
On top of this you have Shelbys from Shelby American. Shelby GT, Shelby GT 500KR, GT 350 and the super snake. They also will turn your
Mustang GT into a Shelby. There are just so so many Shelby's out there.
They are fun machines for sure just not exclusive and will depreciate like a Vettes . Vipers and the list goes on. It's great for us car guys when you buy used over the next 10 years.
Really Good points you made, I guess I was between waiting for the 2017 1Le and at the point figured it would be 45K, I also wonder how the car would function as a daily driver as well?

Than for the money If I could pick up a shelby GT 500 for 55K I kind of thought over the course of 5-6 years If I had to let it go it would probably retain more of that value , I like both cars I did love driving the 2016 SS very much .

I was even considering a 2011 shelby but i think the handling is crap
formoutofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:06 PM   #174
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
my two GLH-s only about 500 or so ever made. Carroll himself told me it was the best car he had ever made. LOL 30 years ago. they just fell apart so there goes the collectability. My 1998 Type R still running strong as 275 HP @ 9000 all motor RPM.. LOL.. Bout 3800 made for north America over 5 years. My son drives it now, I gave him the supercharged Challenger but he's into rice rockets.

I think looks has a lot to do with it. 1965 fastback... money, 2015 Hellcat... money, GLH-S Omni... err Wayne's world but worst.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 12:42 AM   #175
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
Why would any dealer take a deposit for a car like the GT350? It's not like if the car came in and you elected not to take delivery, they couldn't sell the car to twenty other people. In my experience, dealers who offer an MSRP deal on a hot car like the GT350 would not bother with a deposit. Which dealer was it again?
It was a only a $500 good faith deposit from a dealer who I have purchased five cars from to show it would be my car. Not that have to explain myself to you - a well known story teller...
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:55 AM   #176
Zeke.Malvo

Drives: 1969 Mustang MaCh1
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
my two GLH-s only about 500 or so ever made. Carroll himself told me it was the best car he had ever made. LOL 30 years ago. they just fell apart so there goes the collectability. My 1998 Type R still running strong as 275 HP @ 9000 all motor RPM.. LOL.. Bout 3800 made for north America over 5 years. My son drives it now, I gave him the supercharged Challenger but he's into rice rockets.

I think looks has a lot to do with it. 1965 fastback... money, 2015 Hellcat... money, GLH-S Omni... err Wayne's world but worst.
Actually, the GLHS has held it's value pretty well in good condition and has it's own following of people who appreciate and collect them.

The Type R probably will hold it's value ok too.

My dad's Caravan had 350,000 miles on it's original motor/transmission when we sold it. Anything can break apart or survive.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:29 AM   #177
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post

Wow you're nicer than I will be to my daughter! No way would I let her drive a nicely preserved Type-R. I'll probably let her have my Subaru Forester though

Then again, I guess the Type-R would go to your son anyways in your will so what the heck!
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:16 AM   #178
titanfan
Account Suspended

Drives: Several in a big garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
It was a only a $500 good faith deposit from a dealer who I have purchased five cars from to show it would be my car. Not that have to explain myself to you - a well known story teller...
So the dealer, from whom you have purchased many cars in the past, lacked enough faith in you to actually buy the car (or you faith in the dealer to sell you the car) you ordered, that it required a $500 deposit?
titanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:28 AM   #179
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
So the dealer, from whom you have purchased many cars in the past, lacked enough faith in you to actually buy the car (or you faith in the dealer to sell you the car) you ordered, that it required a $500 deposit?
Maybe you got bucks written on your forehead. The Ford dealer told me they required a $1000 among other things. You seem to
a) have never actually have owned or try to buy a Shelby
b) have too much money and don't know what to do with it.

I've owned and purchased two Shelbys both in the 80s. I actively looked into a Shelby this year and Ford was talking deposit $5K minimum above MSRP, really 10K minimum I just figured what I was going to bargain them down to. I actively looked into buy a Mustang V6 a few years back and have it converted to a supercharged Shelby.

So just for me, so I know where yo coming from please answer a or b. And if is B) amen bro it is your money.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:37 AM   #180
SpeedIsLife

Drives: Current Camaro-less
You keep saying "Ford" when it's the dealership...

FORD wasn't asking $10,000 over MSRP, the dealership was.
SpeedIsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:54 AM   #181
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke.Malvo View Post
Actually, the GLHS has held it's value pretty well in good condition and has it's own following of people who appreciate and collect them.

The Type R probably will hold it's value ok too.

My dad's Caravan had 350,000 miles on it's original motor/transmission when we sold it. Anything can break apart or survive.
Since I owned and raced two, I can tell you the value was zilch and there is no such thing as good condition for a Omni outside of putting it in an air condition garage with 10,000 miles. The local scraper had a charger in actual not too bad of shape for $1200, yes it was a GLH-S. I thought about it but I had too many toys as is. The may have moved it to the back lot, I highly doubt it sold.

Type R, I've also owned two, the first one I turbo and it got stolen from a locked garage. The second I've put 200K miles and from 20 ft away it looks new. I could jump in it today and drive it cross country. As it sits it is worth $12K to $15k as I've kept every stock part and the perf parts are in high demand and worth 5K+.

I've been offered mint low mile Type R for $25K and mint low mile GLH-S for $10K, so these should be indicative of true collectability.

Oh and the Type R's A/C works and my GLH-Ss I gave up on heat A/C and any interior part after a few years. We are talking Acura vs Omni. I will say the GLH-S had a really comfortable velour seat, no bolsters more like a van front seat. I was working in silicone valley with George Amdahl (IBM plug compatible mainframes) the M3 was high on my list. I looked into it and the GLH-S was better to my mind. Back then it was M3, GLH-S and Grand National. Given the heat soak of the Grand National the GLH-S was really a superior car street or track. The Camaro / Mustang were not factors, this was CA and it had to pass smog.

One interesting tidbit and it will never be reported: all GLH-S left with the Shelby shop with the Shelby brain at 205 HP stock. That 175 HP limited brain was all pretend to keep the Dodge warranty. As I said I purchased and owned two of them and the boost gauge was a true indicator to what brain was in the car.

Real collectables: my 440 Dart IF it did not turn to rust when I worked in CA. This was before any resto age and the entire car was nothing but rust. I ended up putting the drivetrain in a Signet (4dr slant six Valiant). The shell was beyond saving and I worked my way through engineering school at a body shop. So it ain't like I did not know how to fix bodies.

With the production numbers today, I can't see any of these cars reaching true collector status.
GLH-S 550 or so (Omni) same for Charger
Type R 500 each year, 1000+ during the last year.

Both cars were more than packages and came with many unique features.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:56 AM   #182
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
You keep saying "Ford" when it's the dealership...

FORD wasn't asking $10,000 over MSRP, the dealership was.
The dealership is part of Ford. It is the way Ford produces and markets the car that enables the dealership to rip no holes in their "customers".

Let me look it up for you with a google search, yep every FORD dealership, clearly starts with the word FORD... So you can pretend I'm not buying a Ford from Ford when I go to a Ford dealer. I think I'll keep calling the company and its dealer network Ford, cause that's is what it is.

Oh and "asking" is too nice of a word, more like extortion.

The thread is GT350 and you keep on pretending you can buy a GT350 from Henry Ford himself for MSRP. Well go ahead, make some money buy a GT350 and resell for a nice profit. Till then I will say either you don't like money or your just shilling for Ford. Which is it?

Last edited by oldman; 03-06-2016 at 09:08 AM.